The Royal Canadian Legion MBNA Rewards Mastercard review
- Welcome Offer
- 5,000 points
- Up to 2 points per $1 spent
- Annual Fee
- Purchase Interest Rate
- Cash Advance Rate
The Royal Canadian Legion MBNA Rewards Mastercard is a rewards card offered by MBNA bank. It lets you earn two points for every dollar you spend on gas and groceries, as well as one point for everything else. You’ll also get a generous welcome bonus and basic purchases insurance when you sign up.
- Think about this card if you want to support The Royal Canadian Legion for no annual fee.
- Choose something else if you’re looking for low interest or comprehensive benefits.
- There are no minimum annual income requirements to qualify for this card.
If you want to use your credit card purchases to support local veterans while earning flexible rewards, then The Royal Canadian Legion MBNA Rewards Mastercard could be a good fit for you.
- No annual fee. There’s no annual fee to maintain this card.
- Rewards. Earn 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible restaurant, grocery, digital media, membership, and household utility purchases (until $10,000 is spent annually in the applicable category), and earn 1 point for every $1 spent on all other eligible purchases.
- 2x the points. Earn double the points when you shop for gas, groceries and restaurant purchases
- Welcome offer. Get 2,500 bonus points ($12.50 in cash back value) after your first eligible purchase within the first 90 days of account opening and 2,500 bonus points ($12.50 in cash back value) once enrolled for e-statements within the first 90 days of account opening.
- Purchase protection. Protect your purchases with purchase assurance for up to 90 days
, and extended warranty coverage for up to one additional year
- Car rental discounts. Get 10% off your next car rental with Avis or Budget when you travel in North America (and 5% off internationally)
- Flexible rewards. Exchange your points for travel, cashback, gift cards, merchandise and more.
- No fee for additional cards. You can add up to nine extra cards to your account for no annual fee.
- Travel perks. Take advantage of travel perks like lost luggage assistance and ticket replacement services when you travel.
- Security features. Reduce the risk of fraud with chip-enabled transactions and card verification codes for online purchases.
- Contactless payments. Save time when you check out with easy tap and go payments.
- Zero-liability insurance. Rest easy knowing you’re protected from unauthorized use of your card.
- Easy to qualify. There are no minimum annual income requirements to qualify for this card.
- Reliable customer service. Contact the on-call customer support team to get assistance with any issues or concerns you might have with your account.
- Bonus points. Each year, you will receive Birthday Bonus Points equal to 10% of the total number of Points the account earned in the 12 months before the month of the primary cardholder's birthday, to a maximum Birthday Bonus each year of 10,000 Points.
What to watch out for
- High interest. You’ll pay 19.99% interest for purchases and 24.99% for cash advances.
- No introductory balance transfer rate. Balance transfers are charged 22.99% interest, and you won’t get a discounted rate in your first few months.
- Few benefits. This card doesn’t offer comprehensive benefits like travel medical, mobile device protection or roadside assistance.
- Different points values. Points are worth different dollar amounts depending on the category of the reward (with travel giving the best value).
The Royal Canadian Legion MBNA Rewards Mastercard interest rates
|Purchase interest rate
|Cash advance rate
|Standard balance transfer rate
What should I know before I apply
How to apply
- Head to the MBNA website to begin your application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The Royal Canadian Legion MBNA Rewards Mastercard gives you a decent return on MBNA points for every dollar you spend on your card. You’ll also get a welcome offer and basic purchases insurance when you sign up, along with a handful of travel perks. The downside is that you won’t get comprehensive benefits or a low interest rate on purchases.