The BMO Debit Card is an everyday debit card that comes with a handful of credit card features from Mastercard. It lets you access your funds from your BMO account quickly and easily when you shop in-store or online wherever Debit Mastercard is accepted. You can also link it to your mobile wallet so that you can pay your bill by swiping your phone. The BMO Debit Mastercard is not a credit card and comes automatically with most BMO chequing or savings accounts that you open.
Best for: Those looking for a good multi-purpose BMO Debit Card to link to a BMO chequing or BMO savings account.
Tap and go payments
Wide acceptance as a BMO Debit Mastercard
Free BMO ATM withdrawals
Link to your mobile wallet
Foreign transaction fees
No access to credit since it's a debit Mastercard
BMO Debit Card Basics
If you’re looking for a multi-purpose debit card, you can get a BMO Debit Mastercard automatically included with almost every chequing or savings account you sign up for with BMO.
- Tap and go payments. Pay for purchases quickly and easily when you tap your card at Interac Flash-enabled terminals.
- Shop online or overseas. Use your BMO Debit Card to pay for purchases online or abroad wherever Debit Mastercard is accepted.
- Pay for recurring bills. Sign up for recurring bill payments with participating merchants using your BMO Debit Mastercard.
- Link to your mobile wallet. The BMO Debit Card is compatible with Apple Pay and Google Pay so you can pay with in-store merchants by tapping your mobile phone at the till.
- Free BMO ATM withdrawals. Use your BMO Debit Card to withdraw cash at BMO ATMs or pay a fee to take money out at non-BMO ATMs across Canada and overseas.
- No additional fees or interest. Avoid paying extra BMO Debit Card fees or interest unless you exceed the monthly limit for your BMO bank plan.
BMO Performance Chequing Account
Earn a $450 welcome bonus
Unlimited free transactions and e-Transfers
$16.95 monthly account fee (can be waived)
BMO Debit Mastercard perks
- Easy mobile banking. Manage your money on the go with BMO’s simple online and mobile banking platform.
- Overdraft protection. Pay a small monthly fee to protect yourself from charges for non-sufficient funds (NSF) if your bank balance dips into the red.
- Security features. Protect the items you buy on your BMO Debit Card with security features such as encrypted chip technology and Mastercard identity check.
- Zero liability coverage. Rest easy knowing you’re protected against fraudulent charges on your BMO Debit Card with BMO’s 100% electronic banking guarantee.
- BMO alerts. Sign up for BMO alerts and get notified when any transactions are carried out using your BMO Debit Mastercard.
- Good for pre-authorizations. Use your BMO Debit Card to pre-authorize travel bookings as long as you have an available balance to secure your reservation.
What to watch out for with BMO Debit Cards
- No rewards. You won’t earn cashback or points whenever you spend money on your BMO Debit Card.
- Transaction limits. You may be required to adhere to BMO Debit Card daily spending limits for online, mail order, telephone order and recurring payment transactions.
- Foreign transaction fees. You’ll pay an additional fee of 2.5% when you make purchases overseas, in addition to a mark-up on the currency exchange rate.
- No access to credit. You can only spend money that’s already in your account, which means that the BMO Debit Card isn’t suitable if you’re looking for access to credit.
Get a BMO Debit Mastercard with these BMO chequing accounts
What is the BMO Debit Card limit?
The BMO Debit Card limit on in-app and online purchases is $3,000 per transaction. BMO Debit Card purchases using your mobile wallet cannot exceed $250 per transaction. When you use your physical BMO Debit Card for tap-to-pay purchases, the limit is $250.
Where can I use my BMO Debit Card online?
There are a number of vendors in Canada that accept BMO Debit Mastercard payments. These include popular retailers such as Apple, Amazon, Canadian Tire, Costco, IKEA, Indigo, Lyft, Microsoft, Netflix, PayPal, Shell Canada, Uber, Walmart and many more. See a list of Canadian merchants accepting Debit Mastercard.
Just be aware that you won’t be able to use your BMO Debit Mastercard to make online purchases overseas.
What should I know before I apply?
You won’t need to apply for a BMO Debit Card because you’ll get one automatically if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or temporary resident of Canada.
- You are applying for a BMO chequing or savings account that qualifies for this card.
Required documents and information
To sign up for a bank account that comes with a BMO Debit Card, you’ll need to provide the following:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply for a BMO Debit Mastercard
- Choose a BMO account on this page and hit the green Go to site button.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
- Your BMO Debit Mastercard should come automatically included with your account once you sign up (so you won’t need a separate application).
BMO Debit Card for Business
If you’re looking to use your BMO Debit Card for business purposes, you’ll have to sign up for a BMO business account. The BMO Debit Card for Business lets you track your business expenses and customize allowable transactions. For example, you can make a card deposit-only or use it to restrict specific transactions on specified accounts. Otherwise, the BMO Debit Card for Business has all of the same features as the BMO Debit Mastercard.
Compare other similar accounts
You can get many of the perks of a BMO Debit Card with debit cards from other banks in Canada. Compare features of some popular bank accounts below.
EQ Bank Savings Plus Account
2.50% - 3.00%
Simplii High Interest Savings Account
Neo Money Account
The BMO Debit Mastercard is an everyday debit card that comes with a handful of credit card features. These include various payment options such as tap and go, online payments and mobile wallet payments. The BMO Debit Card comes automatically included with almost every BMO chequing or BMO savings account you sign up for and can be easily linked to your BMO online and mobile banking.