Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Scotiabank chequing accounts
Scotiabank offers Canadians six different chequing account plans to help meet the banking needs of all Canadians.
Scotiabank is one of the larger banks in Canada and has hundreds of locations across Canada. It offers six separate chequing account plans, each with a different focus, in order to meet the banking needs of everyday Canadians.
Check out our guide to learn about the different chequing accounts Scotiabank offers, including the features and benefits of each as well as how to apply for the chequing account that is right for you.
Compare Scotiabank chequing accounts
Scotiabank chequing accounts
Scotiabank Preferred Package
According to Scotiabank, this is their most popular option because it provides the perfect number of banking solutions at a cost per month of $16.95 (less if you’re a senior). No monthly account fee will be charged by maintaining a minimum daily closing balance of $4,000 for the entire month. With this plan, you’ll receive unlimited debit transactions (including unlimited Interac e-Transfers), and the potential to waive fees on one non-Scotiabank ATM transaction.
Scotiabank Ultimate Package
The Scotiabank Ultimate Package offers a number of perks, including unlimited debit transactions (and unlimited Interac e-Transfers), $0 foreign ATM fees on withdrawals, and complimentary personalized cheques. However, this plan will cost you $30.95 per month (less if you’re a senior). No monthly account fee will be charged by maintaining a minimum daily closing balance of $5,000 in your Ultimate Package, or a combined balance of $30,000 across your Ultimate Package and your MomentumPLUS Savings Account.
Scotiabank Basic Plus Bank Account
If you don’t think you’ll need all the benefits of some of the other accounts, you might want to opt for the Scotiabank Basic Plus Bank Account for a cost of $11.95 per month (less for seniors). No monthly account fee will be charged by maintaining a minimum daily closing balance of $3,000 for the entire month. This plan also includes a number of transactions (25 free per month) and Interac e-Transfers (Free).
Scotiabank Student Banking Advantage Plan
If you’re a student and want to open up a chequing account with Scotiabank, you may want to look at the Scotiabank Student Banking Advantage Plan. This plan requires you to be in a post-secondary institution either in Canada or the US. The account has a $0 fee per month and comes with a few perks, including unlimited debit transactions (including unlimited Interac e-Transfers) and enrollment into the SCENE or Scotia Rewards program, which can allow you to earn points that you can redeem for a movie at any Scotiabank theatre across Canada.
Scotiabank Basic Bank Account
If you don’t bank very often and are looking for a no-frills chequing account, the Scotiabank Basic Bank Account may be your best bet. With the low fee of $3.95 per month (free for seniors), this plan allows you to make a limited number of transactions (12 free per month) and Interac e-Transfers (Free).
The benefits of banking with Scotiabank
As one of the most notable banks in Canada, you can expect a high level of customer service with Scotiabank as well as the following benefits:
- Scotiabank Internet and mobile banking. If you have a Scotiabank chequing account, you can access your account online through the online portal, Scotia OnLine. You can also download the Scotiabank Mobile Banking app and access your chequing account via your smartphone. This lets you manage your account, pay your bills, send money transfers domestically and overseas or apply for another Scotiabank product, either online or via the app.
- Mobile cheque deposit. This feature allows you to take an image of your cheque using your mobile phone and digitally deposit it into your chequing account.
- Free credit score. You’re able to access your credit score free of charge.
- Tap and pay. You can pay for goods by tapping with your Visa Debit or Interac Flash card(s).
- Mobile pay. Store your card’s information on your smartphone and then pay using either Apple Pay, Google Pay or Samsung Pay.
- Scene+ rewards. Earn Scene+ points and use your points for a range of rewards including travel, movies, merchandise and more.
How to open a Scotiabank chequing account
Before you get started on your application, you should make sure that you meet the eligibility requirements for the specific chequing account that you are interested in. Furthermore, have the necessary documents on hand so that you can correctly fill out the application form. Eligibility requirements might vary between chequing account plans but generally include the following:
- Age. You must be a minimum age (like 16 years of old).
- Residence. You must either be a Canadian resident or reside in Canada for the purpose of work or study.
- Identity. You must verify that you are opening the account for yourself and not on behalf of someone else.
Information you will need for your application
After checking that you are eligible for the chequing account you want, you will need to gather the following information in order to proceed with the application process:
- Birth date
- Contact information
- Social Insurance Number
You’ll also need to verify your identity by providing an accepted form of identification, such as your driver’s licence number or passport.
Frequently asked questions about Scotiabank chequing accounts
More guides on Finder
Scotiabank Debit Card Review
Use this versatile Scotiabank Debit Card to earn points and make purchases online.
Scotiabank Basic Plus Bank Account review
Pay a low monthly fee to take advantage of value-added features with this no-frills account.
Scotiabank Student Banking Advantage Plan review
Earn a great mix of rewards and benefits with this premium student bank account from Scotiabank.
Scotiabank Basic Bank Account review
Scotiabank’s Basic Business Account isn’t fancy, but it gives you all the essentials to bank comfortably.
Scotiabank Ultimate Package review
Earn the best mix of rewards and benefits with this premium bank account package from Scotiabank.
Scotiabank Preferred Package review
Take advantage of Scotiabank’s most popular account features and get special access to exclusive rates and rewards.