Send and receive money on the same day – to friends, family or businesses overseas – all from the comfort of your own home.
There are many reasons why you may need to send money overseas as quickly as possible. Maybe a friend or relative needs financial help or you have forgotten to pay an overseas bill. Whatever the situation, a same day international money transfer can help you send money quickly. From your bank account to a mobile phone, there are a variety of ways you can transfer money overseas.
Speak to an FX Expert
How do I send a same day money transfer?
You will need the details of your recipient and depending on the type of transfer, you will need to provide different details. If it is a bank transfer you will need the recipient’s BSB, account number and Swift code. If it is a cash pickup transfer, you only need to provide the tracking number to the recipient so they can pick it up at a specified location.
How long does it take?
In most cases, you will be able to set up an account with the transfer service provider almost instantly. It generally takes about 15 minutes to complete the application to send the money. You will then need to link your new account to your existing bank account so you can transfer money. Once the transfer has been initiated, it can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours.
How much does it cost?
The fees will vary depending on the service you use. OFX do not charge fees. CIBC also do not charge fees, however you must have a bank account with them and certain conditions apply.
How long does it normally take to transfer money from one bank to another?
It typically takes 1-2 business days to transfer money between accounts within Canada. If you and your recipient both belong to the same bank in Canada, the transaction is almost instant and will be free of charge. Transferring money from a Canadian bank account to another bank account overseas can generally take anywhere from 3-5 business days.
What are same day international money transfers?
A same day international money transfer allows you to send funds overseas, with the funds arriving to your recipient in less than 24 hours or within minutes. It offers a convenient way for you to buy goods or services, send money to friends and family and manage any other international payments you have. Same day transfer is no different than any other overseas money transfer service, however it is much quicker. Some providers are able to offer instant transfers, however fast transfers usually cost more than regular transfers due to high fees and poor exchange rates.
How do I send funds overseas quickly?
The exact process for sending a same day transfer varies depending on the company you choose to send money with. There are companies like Western Union and MoneyGram that allow you to send cash overseas by visiting your nearest transfer branch or by entering your payment details online. The funds you send via these companies can then be collected by your recipient at a branch in their country of residence. Both of these companies have hundreds of thousands of branches worldwide, making them popular choices due to easy accessibility. There are also online money transfer companies, such as OFX, that allow you to send funds online from your bank account to your recipient’s overseas bank account. Banks, including HSBC, RBC, Scotiabank, BMO and TD, also allow you to send international money transfers, either through your internet banking account or by visiting a branch. However, the availability of same day processing may vary depending on where you are sending your money and the currency you transfer. Many banks do not offer the same speed when sending overseas transfers as dedicated transfer service providers do.
What options for same day overseas transfers are available?
- Money transfer with cash pickup. MoneyGram and Western Union are two of the best-known companies that provide same day overseas transfers. Money you send with either company can be made available for your recipient to collect within 10-15 minutes in most cases, and each company has hundreds of thousands of locations around the world.
- Bank transfer. Every major Canadian bank will allow you to send international money transfers. However, same day transfers will not be available to all destinations around the world. While transfers within 24 hours are possible to certain countries and in certain currencies, funds sent to other destinations could take anywhere from 3-5 days to arrive. Furthermore, some banks may only allow transfers to specific international banks overseas.
- Online money transfer. Online transfer companies like OFX allow for quick international transfers. Keep in mind the processing time for your transaction may take longer than 24 hours depending on the country you are sending the money to.
How do I compare same day international money transfers?
- Exchange rates. The exchange rate you receive when converting Canadian Dollars into another currency will have a huge influence on the cost of your transfer. Look for the highest exchange rates that you can find but look out for any high fees that may be attached. Often higher exchange rates can be offset by higher fees so that the provider makes a bigger profit.
- Fees. You will need to pay a fee to send money overseas, although some providers will waive the fee when you transfer a large amount of money at one time.
- Transfer networks. If you are sending the money for cash pickup overseas, compare companies to ensure there are branches near your recipient.
- Transfer methods. How will you make the transfer: can you do it online, over the phone or will you need to visit a branch?
- Pickup methods. Some companies will offer fast cash pickup while others will deposit the funds directly into your recipient’s bank account.
- Customer support. Look for a company that has a good reputation for providing professional and friendly customer support. Compare the ways in which support is offered, including phone, email and live chat, and ensure you can access help during the company’s available hours.
Does PayPal offer same day international money transfers?
Yes, PayPal offer same day international transfers with the money arriving in minutes if you already have an established PayPal account. You can use PayPal to send personal payments to friends and family overseas. For those who have never used PayPal before, you can set up an account within a few minutes if you have access to up-to-date bank statements. You must provide bank information to PayPal since they verify your account based on small deposits made into your bank account. Click here to learn more about PayPal overseas transfers.
What are the pros and cons of same day international money transfers?
- Fast. Same day international transfers allow you to get funds to someone overseas as quickly as possible.
- Convenient. You can transfer money online or by visiting a branch of your transfer provider.
- Support your family and friends. Whether you are sending savings to your family or providing urgent help to friends or relatives, same day international money transfers provide an easy and quick solution.
- Can be costly. Same day transfers usually come with higher fees and lower exchange rates than regular transfers, so you need to be prepared to pay more money to send your funds overseas in the quickest way possible.
Are there any problems with a fast money transfer?
The main problem you should be aware of when sending a fast international money transfer is the cost of the transaction. Keep in mind you will not usually receive the best exchange rate when you send a fast transfer and a higher transfer fee will also apply. This is why you should always carefully review the full details of your transfer before you hand over any money. You should always be aware that some transfer providers, for example your bank, will not always be able to offer a same-day transfer to certain destinations. Compare different service providers to find one that works best for your needs.