Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Xoom international money transfer review
Track your transfers to know exactly when your money arrives.
Why should I use Xoom?
- Transfer tracking. You’ll receive a text message when your money arrives. Xoom will also email you and your recipient to keep you both informed of the transfer’s progress. You can log on to your account any time and track the transaction there, or call customer service and receive an update from a live representative.
- Money-back guarantee. Xoom offers a money-back guarantee to refund your transaction in full if the money you send doesn’t arrive to your recipient.
- 24/7 support. Phone and email support is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week if you need help with a transaction.
What to be aware of with Xoom
- Requires government-issued ID. You’ll need to upload a government-issued ID, like a license or passport, and a recent bank statement to send money.
- No live chat option. Though you can call or email Xoom for 24/7 customer support.
- Exchange rate markup and fees. Xoom adds a markup on the mid-market rate and charges additional fees.
Xoom’s exchange rates and fees
The total cost of a Xoom transfer varies between online and agent locations. But for online transfers, fees depend on:
- Payment. Paying by bank transfer is the cheapest option while paying by credit card will have higher fees. Additional cash advance fees may also be charged to your credit card.
- Recipient’s location. Fees depend on where you’re sending to.
- Amount. Different fees are charged based on how much you’re sending.
- Delivery. To send cash, fees are generally higher, while receiving money to a bank account is often less expensive.
Here’s an example of the fees you might see while sending $1,000 through Xoom to Mexico or India for bank deposit:
|Mexico||PayPal balance or bank account||$0|
|Mexico||Credit or debit card||$21.49|
|India||PayPal balance or bank account||$0|
|India||Credit or debit card||$21.49|
Accurate as of September 29, 2020.
There are some situations when transfer fees will be waived, such as if you send $1,000 or more to India and pay using your bank account. Use Xoom’s Fees and Exchange Rate Calculator to see the fees that apply to your transfer destination and amount.
Xoom’s exchange rate
Xoom makes money through transaction fees and by charging above the mid-market rate. Keep in mind that the exchange rate offered by Xoom may change depending on the amount of money you’re sending. Here are the rates when we checked on September 29th, 2020, for sending CAD to different currencies through Xoom:
|Destination country||Xoom rate||Mid-market rate||Markup|
|The United States||0.7375||0.746991||1.27%|
Along with the markup, it should be noted that when paying with a credit or debit card, the fee you’ll be charged will be proportional to the amount of money you’re sending. So the more money you send, the higher the fee you’ll have to pay. When we checked, sending $5,000 to India through Xoom and paying with a credit card will cost you $106.49 in fees.
How long does a Xoom transfer take?
Turnaround time on your Xoom transfer depends on how you pay and how the money is received:
Fastest option — nearly instant
Pay for your transfer with a credit card, debit card or PayPal balance. You’ll pay more in fees, but your money arrives in as little as 15 minutes, if not instantly. Your credit card might charge you an additional cash advance fee, further increasing the cost of your total transfer. Some destinations may take longer to receive money, even when paying by credit or debit card.
Cheapest option — up to 4 business days
Using a bank account to pay for your transfer is often the cheapest way to send money, but it’s the slowest. Sending money to your recipient’s bank account may also delay the transfer time.
What currencies can I send with Xoom?
Xoom can send to more than 150 countries and territories worldwide. Xoom can be sent from residents in Canada, the United States, the UK, and select countries in Europe. Some of the popular currencies that Xoom supports include:
- Australian dollar (AUD)
- Bangladesh taka (BDT)
- Brazilian real (BRL)
- Dominican peso (DOP)
- Egyptian pound (EGP)
- Indian rupee (INR)
- Mexican peso (MXN)
- Philippine peso (PHP)
What are Xoom’s sending limits?
Xoom separates accounts into three levels based on how much verification you’ve given. For Canadian residents, it looks like this for bank deposit maximums:
|Level||24-hour limit||30-day limit||180-day limit||Required information and documents|
|1||999 CAD||5,000 CAD||9,999 CAD||Sender profile information|
|2||12,500 CAD||25,000 CAD||40,000 CAD|
|3||75,000 CAD||90,000 CAD||130,000 CAD|
Is PayPal Xoom?
Xoom is a PayPal service, and is owned and operated by PayPal. Users who already have and use PayPal accounts can integrate their existing accounts into Xoom to send money around the world. Recipients of Xoom transfers do not need to create a PayPal account in order to receive money.
Is Xoom safe?
Xoom’s parent company, PayPal, is one of the most well-known payment systems. Xoom has additional measures to protect your money while using the service:
- Encryption: Xoom uses 128-bit data security encryption for its entire website.
- Regulation: Xoom shares all the same regulations and licenses held by PayPal.
- Money-back guarantee: Xoom guarantees that your money will be received by your recipient, and if it isn’t the transaction will be refunded in full.
Reviews accurate as of September 29, 2020.
|Trustpilot||4 .5 out of 5 — based on 21,568 customer reviews|
|CompareRemit||4.5 out of 5 — based on 1,905 customer reviews|
|BBB rating||A+ — based on BBB’s internal rating system|
|Monito||7 out of 10 — based on staff reviews|
|NerdWallet||3.5 out of 5 — based on staff reviews|
Case study: Our experience transferring money with Xoom
Here’s what we found when we sent live transfers to Mexico and France through Xoom:
- We paid low fees and received competitive rates within 2.4% of the mid-market rate on average, with rates updated multiple times a day.
- Our transfer to France arrived ahead of schedule, while our funds were deposited into our recipient’s Mexican bank account within 24 hours.
- Xoom’s easy-to-use website allowed us to sign up and initiate a transfer in just about 3.5 minutes.
What payment methods does Xoom accept?
Xoom transfers can be paid for in a few different ways when sending from the United States, including:
- Bank account transfer
- Credit or debit card
- PayPal balance
Each payment method may have different fees depending on your sending destination, but overall paying with a bank account or PayPal balance tends to be the cheapest option.
How do I send money through Xoom?
Before you can send funds with Xoom, you must register for a free account with your personal contact information. While you don’t need to enter a Social Security number at sign-up, Xoom requires you to upload a government-issued ID, like a license or passport, and a recent bank statement if you want to send higher amounts.
Steps to send a money transfer with Xoom
What do you need to send money through Xoom?
- Amount to be sent and currency it will be converted to
- A valid payment method — credit card, debit card or bank account
- The recipient’s name, address and bank name and account number
- Your phone number and address
Is there a Xoom app?
Xoom has an app on both Google Play and the App Store. The app makes it possible to:
- Quick send. Use existing contacts to quickly send money with a few swipes and taps.
- Track orders. The status of your transfer is quickly accessible through the app.
- See fees and exchange rates. An in-app fee and exchange rate calculator will help you determine the cost of your next transfer through Xoom.
|Ratings accurate as of September 29, 2020|
|Google Play Store||4 out of 5 — based on 51,670 customer ratings|
|Apple App Store||4.7 out of 5 — based on 10.8K customer ratings|
Xoom’s money transfer options are worth considering when you need to send money overseas. Just make sure to compare its services with those of a number of other providers before deciding on the right money transfer company to handle your transactions.
How does Xoom compare to other services?
Enter the amount you want to send, select your sending destination and click Calculate to see how much your transfer with Xoom could cost.
Want to compare Xoom with other services side-by-side?
Frequently asked questions about Xoom
More guides on Finder
Walnut life insurance review
Sign up for term life insurance and get access to a number of popular lifestyle apps as part of your coverage.
Cashco Flex Loans review
Cashco Financial offers personal loans of up to $7,000. Choose your loan term and how often you want to make payments.
How to finance your holiday inventory
Get a business loan for your holiday inventory purchases.
Car loans in Ontario
Compare car loans in Ontario for new and used vehicles.
Compare personal loans for Christmas
Compare personal loans for Christmas. Apply online and get your funds within 24 to 48 hours.
Stock trading tax guide in Canada
We break down how the CRA treats stock gains and losses, how foreign stocks are taxed, which trading expenses are tax-deductible and more.
What is an in-trust account?
What does “in trust” mean and how do informal trusts work? Find out in our guide to in-trust accounts.
Canada Drives vs Clutch vs CarDoor
Compare the top features of 3 online car dealers in Canada: Canada Drives, Clutch and CarDoor.
BDC Business Loans Review
Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) provides financing to businesses at different stages of growth.
Cryptovoxels is a virtual world simulation game built on the Ethereum blockchain. Players can buy, sell, lease or develop land, including building venues.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.