Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Alternatives to OFX
Compare services like OFX that can help you send money overseas.
OFX (formerly Ozforex) offers transfers in over 55 different currencies, with a range of options such as recurring payments, limit orders and forward contracts that can help add convenience, give you predictable costs and find better rates.
If you want a versatile, feature-filled money transfer service with no maximum transfer limits, for business or personal use, OFX may be ideal. But it still has some limitations, and sometimes another service can bring better value for money.
- No fees on transfers of $10,000 or more.
- Available in around 200 countries and 50+ currencies
- Offers scheduled and recurring transfers, limit orders and forward contracts
- iOS and Android apps for mobile transfer and tracking
- No maximum transfer limit
- $150 minimum transfer
- $15 fee on transfers under $10,000
- Bank-to-bank transfer only — no cash payment or pickup
- May not always have the best exchange rates available
If OFX isn’t offered in your country or you’re shopping around, compare it to the services below.
XE Money Transfer is similar to OFX as a service focused on cost-effectiveness and availability. Its available currencies are similar to OFX, with a reach including 40+ currencies. But unlike OFX, it doesn’t charge any fees on transfers of CAD $500 or more and instead makes it money from a margin added to the exchange rate. (A flat fee of $4 is charged on transfers under CAD $500.)
- No transfer fees when you send CAD $500 or more
- 40+ currencies available
- High maximum transfer limits of $500,000
- Offers limit orders and forward contracts
- Bank-to-bank transfers only
- Exchange rate comparison tool not available until after you’ve registered with the site
- Rates may vary and aren’t always the most competitive option
Both TorFX and OFX only offer bank-to-bank transfers with no transfer fees across a range of currencies. However, unlike OFX with its minimum transfers of $150, and transfer fees of up to $15, TorFX charges no transfer fees and has lower minimum transfer amounts.
Between its zero transfer fees and its best rate guarantee, TorFX can offer exceptionally competitive prices.
- Multiple transfer options including spot contracts, forward contracts, limit orders and stop loss orders
- No transfer fees
- Offers a best rate guarantee
- 60+ different currencies
- Low minimum transfer amounts
- Bank-to-bank transfers only
- Rates may not always be competitive without the best rate guarantee
Wise is a transfer service that aims to deliver the best possible exchange rates. Specifically, it exchanges currency at mid-market rates, while applying a fee for transfers as a small percentage of the total plus a flat amount.
- Mid-market exchange rates
- Fast transfers of 0-2 days
- Can pay with both bank transfers and cards
- Apps for both iOS and Android
- Fees grow with larger transfers
- Only transfers to bank accounts — no cash pickup option
- Bank transfers may be slower, while credit card payments are faster but more expensive
- Narrower range of countries and currencies than OFX
WorldRemit provides a variety of transfer options in more than 140 countries worldwide, including online, bank-to-bank and cash transfers. Unlike OFX’s flat fees, it has fees that vary by currency and a range of delivery options. OFX doesn’t allow for cash pick-up or home delivery, while WorldRemit offers both of these options.
- Low minimum transfer amount of $0
- Available in over 140 countries worldwide
- Flexible payment and pick-up options, including debit or credit card, bank transfer, Android Pay and ApplePay, and mobile airtime transfer
- Transfers to mobile wallet accounts in some countries
- Cash pickup and home delivery available in some countries
- Can offer instant money transfers
- Maximum transfer amounts range from $5,000 to $50,000 depending on payment method
- Fees can vary widely depending on the situation
- Rates can vary widely and may not always be competitive
Unlike OFX, which has no transfer fees at all, Western Union typically has high fees and weak exchange rates that can be 8% more than the mid-market rate. However, while OFX only allows bank-to-bank transfers, Western Union allows for multiple transfer options including paying with cash, card or bank transfer.
- Low minimum transfer of $1
- Almost instant transfers
- 200+ countries and territories
- Multiple transfer options including paying with cash or your debit card, credit card or bank account
- Cash pick-up available
- Long history of over 160 years
- Weak exchange rates that can be around 6% more than the mid-market rate
- High fees, whereas other companies offer free transfers or low-fee transfers
- Low maximum transfer amount of $5,000
Ria is one of the world’s largest money transfer networks with more than 316,000 agent locations in about 150 countries. Ria offers a wide range of payment options, including cash, debit card, credit card and bank account, whereas OFX only offers bank-to-bank transfers. Ria’s low minimums and maximums mark it as more geared towards smaller transfers than OFX.
- Low minimum transfer amount of $1
- Can pay with cash, debit card, credit card or bank account
- Over 316,000 agent locations to pick up cash, in more than 140 countries
- Cash pick-up and home delivery available in select countries
- Near-instant transfers when paying in cash or card
- Low maximums, depending on country
- Rates and fees depend on amount, location and method of transfer
- Does not offer forward contracts or limit orders
- Bank account transfers can take several business days
MoneyGram is the second-largest international money transfer service in the world, serving over 200 countries and territories with more than 350,000 agent locations worldwide. MoneyGram offers cash payments and pick-ups, card payments and bank transfers. With comparatively low minimums and maximums, MoneyGram is more focused on smaller money transfers than OFX.
- 350,000 agent locations in over 200 countries and territories
- Large pool of services available for sending, receiving or financing
- Fast transfers, with same-day service in many locations
- Home delivery and cash pickup options
- Low minimum transfer amount of $1
- Maximum transfer amounts vary by location, but tend to be low
- Fees vary depending on payment type and transfer destination
- Local exchange rates vary by transfer destination
Still looking for other options?
If you’re still unsure, take a look at the table below. You can input how much you want to send in the calculator and you will be able to see the transfer details for some of the most popular money transfer companies. Alternatively, learn more about OFX in our review.
More guides on Finder
Investing in healthcare AI stocks
Looking to buy into the healthcare AI industry? Check out these stocks and ETFs, and learn more about how to invest.
Are you a global business owner? Here’s how to pay your overseas employees
The right payment solution for your business depends on whether your highest priority is cost, speed or convenience.
How to trade OTC stocks
Find out how to trade over-the-counter stocks through OTC Markets.
What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.
Invest in gold ETFs
Find out about gold ETFs, what influences their prices, how you can trade them and whether they could be worth your weight in gold.
CAT Footwear promo codes August 2021
Explore a catalogue of durable and protective footwear for men and women and score a discount with one of these CAT Footwear promo codes.
How to send money to Canada
How to save money while sending money to Canada from other countries. Compare international money transfer services, and save on exchange rates and fees.
How to send money to the United States
How to send money to the USA, safely and affordably. Compare international money transfer services and save on exchange rates and fees.
Where to buy ethical clothing online in Canada 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on ethical clothing online at any of these leading stores.
Coinbase vs Coinbase Pro
We compare Coinbase and Coinbase Pro side-by-side so you can see the differences in fees, features, supported cryptocurrencies and more.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.