Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Can I earn Aeroplan Miles at Costco?
Find out more about whether it’s possible to earn Aeroplan points at Costco with the new Aeroplan program.
Can I earn Aeroplan points at Costco?
While Aeroplan used to let you earn Aeroplan points for shopping at Costco, this is no longer the case. While this is unfortunate news, we’ve suggested some alternative department and retail stores that do partner with Costco to help soften the blow. Many of these stores offer similar products to Costco and let you earn up to 10x the Aeroplan points when you shop. You can also still redeem your points for Costco gift cards through the Aeroplan eStore.
Compare Aeroplan credit cards
Can I earn Aeroplan points at Costco?
Due to changes in the Aeroplan program after its acquisition by Air Canada in 2019, you can no longer earn Aeroplan points with Costco. This applies to both online and in-store purchases, which is unfortunate news for regular shoppers at the big box store.
However, there are ways to divert your spending so that you can continue to earn Aeroplan points for the products you buy even if Costco doesn’t offer points. The silver lining is that you can also still redeem your Aeroplan points for Costco gift cards.
Similar stores that offer Aeroplan points
There are a number of online department stores partnered with Aeroplan that offer many of the same products that you can buy at Costco. These stores let you earn up to 10x the Aeroplan points on purchases, depending on what time of year you shop:
- Amazon. Amazon is a popular online retailer that lets you earn points on clothing, furniture, electronics, books and other products. Find out more about how to earn Aeroplan points at Amazon.
- Hudson’s Bay. You can earn Aeroplan points when you shop for clothing, accessories and home products with Hudson’s Bay online.
- Simon’s. Get amazing deals on brand-name clothing with this box retail store and earn Aeroplan points when you load up your virtual cart.
- Bloomingdale’s. Shop online with Bloomingdale’s and earn Aeroplan points when you purchase clothing, jewellery or household items.
- Macy’s. Get your fill of clothing and accessories from Macy’s and pay online to earn Aeroplan points for every dollar you spend.
- Saks Fifth Avenue. Shop for designer clothing brands and homewares with this famous American department store and earn Aeroplan points for every item you buy.
You can also earn Aeroplan points with hundreds of other stores whenever you shop online through the Aeroplan eStore.
How to earn Aeroplan points at Costco
Unfortunately, there’s no way to earn Aeroplan points when you shop at Costco. That said, you can earn up to 10x the Aeroplan points when you shop for products at similar box stores through the Aeroplan eStore. From there, you can at least redeem the points that you earn for Costco gift cards.
If you want to double the number of points you collect, you can also sign up for an Aeroplan credit card. This will help you rack up points faster when you make purchases with Aeroplan partners.
Can I redeem my Aeroplan points for Costco gift cards?
You can definitely redeem your Aeroplan points for Costco gift cards once you’ve collected enough points. There are three different amounts for the Costco gift cards you can purchase, worth $100, $250 and $500.
If you want to redeem your Aeroplan points for Costco gift cards, all you need to do is sign into Aeroplan’s online eStore and search for Costco under “Brands.” From there, select the gift card you want to purchase and hit “Buy” to complete your transaction. The requisite number of points will then be removed from your Aeroplan account and your gift card will be sent out to you in the mail. You can then use it to shop in-store or online.
What other rewards can I get?
If you don’t want to redeem your Aeroplan points for Costco gift cards, there are a number of other rewards available to you. The following are some of Aeroplan’s most popular rewards categories:
- Flights. You’ll typically get the best value for your points when you redeem them for domestic or international flights.
- Hotels. You can use your points to book overnight stays and get big discounts on budget and luxury hotels.
- Car rentals. It’s possible to use your points to rent a car and save money with Aeroplan partner agencies like Budget and Avis.
- Merchandise. You can browse through hundreds of products on offer from Aeroplan’s eStore.
- Gift cards. You’ll be able to lock in savings with other reputable brands when you use your points to purchase a wide selection of gift cards.
It’s no longer possible to earn Aeroplan points when you shop in-store or online with Costco. However, there are a number of other department and box stores partnered with Costco that let you earn up to 10x the Aeroplan points for every dollar you spend. You can also continue to redeem your Aeroplan points for Costco gift cards.
Frequently asked questions about using Aeroplan at Costco
More guides on Finder
RBC Cathay Pacific Visa Platinum card review
Earn Asia Miles for every purchase you make and get 40,000 bonus miles when you sign up.
Float card review
Earn cashback, pay no FX fees and track your receipts and spending all in one place with the innovative Float business card.
Jeeves credit card review
Earn up to 4% cashback, pay no foreign transaction fees and get online rebates with this multi-currency business card.
HSBC Travel Rewards Mastercard Review
Get a decent array of travel insurance and earn accelerated rewards for travel purchases with this fee-free credit card.
HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard review
Get a generous welcome bonus and earn accelerated cashback when you shop online with this fee-free credit card.
Walmart Rewards World Mastercard Review
Earn Walmart Rewards Dollars and get a decent welcome bonus when you sign up for this fee-free card.
Neo Card with Credit Builder review
Start rebuilding your credit score and earn cashback when you spend with this secured credit card.
Neo Secured Card review
Rebuild your credit and earn cashback with this fee-free secured credit card. Start by making a cash deposit to secure your balance.
BMO AIR MILES World Elite Business Mastercard review
Sign up for this premium business card to earn AIR MILES and get access to travel insurance and virtual health care.
BMO World Elite Business Mastercard Review
Earn BMO points on every purchase and take advantage of travel perks and virtual healthcare with this innovative business card.