RBC ION+ Visa review
Earn 3x the rewards for gaming, streaming and digital subscriptions and enjoy innovative benefits with the low annual fee RBC ION+ Visa.
Collect 3X Avion points for every $1 you spend on groceries, dining out, ordering in, rideshares, daily transit and select digital purchases including online gaming, streaming and subscriptions. (Also earn 1 point on everything else). Earn 12,000 Avion points on approval when you apply by November 30, 2022.
3 points per $1 spent
- Consider the RBC ION+ Visa if you want to earn high level rewards in multiple categories (grocery, dining, food delivery, digital subscriptions and rideshares) and you want mobile device protection.
- Choose something else if you’d rather earn cashback or you don’t want to pay an annual fee (though you may qualify for rebates with this card).
- The RBC ION+ Visa does not have minimum annual income requirements.
Think about the RBC ION+ Visa if you want to collect 3x the Avion points on select purchases and earn a higher bonus offer than the no annual fee free version of this card.
- 3x the points. Earn 3 Avion points for every dollar you spend online or in select apps, whether you’re gaming, streaming, ridesharing or managing online subscriptions.
- Rewards for dining and food delivery. Earn 3x the Avion points when you spend money on dining and food delivery, a perk not offered by the no annual fee RBC ION Visa.
- Higher return for everyday purchases. Earn 3x the rewards when you spend money on groceries or transportation (including gas, rideshares, daily transit and EV charging).
- Welcome bonus. Earn 12,000 Avion points upon approval. Apply by November 30, 2022.
- Flexible redemption. Redeem your Avion points anytime through the Avion Rewards website or RBC online banking. For more on Avion rewards, read our guide.
- Monthly fee rebate. Get a monthly $4 rebate to cover the cost of your annual fee when you have an RBC Signature No Limit Banking or RBC Advantage Banking for students account.
- Purchase coverage. Take advantage of purchase protection and extended warranty coverage on most products you buy with your card.
- Easy to qualify. There are no annual income requirements, but you’ll need to be a resident of Canada to apply.
- Pay with points. Redeem your points to pay bills, put money on your credit card or send e-Transfers to friends. Minimum redemption is only $10.
- Save on gas. Link your RBC ION+ Visa to your Petro-Points membership to save 3¢/L on fuel at Petro-Canada and earn 20% more Petro and Avion points when you pay with your linked RBC credit card.
- Earn Be Well points. Collect 50 Be Well points for every $1 you spend on eligible items at Rexall when you scan your Be Well card and pay with your credit card.
- Save on DoorDash. Get a 3-month complimentary DashPass subscription and unlimited deliveries with $0 delivery fees on qualifying orders of $15 or more when you pay with your card.
- Mobile device insurance. Pay for a new mobile device with your credit card and enjoy 2 years of coverage up to $1,000 if it gets lost, stolen, accidentally damaged or experiences mechanical failure.
- Zero-liability coverage. Rest easy knowing that your card is protected from unauthorized use with zero-liability coverage.
- Annual fee paid by month. The annual fee of $48 is paid $4 per month, instead of a lump sum.
- 24/7 support. Call RBC at any time of day or night on its dedicated customer service line if you run into any issues with your account.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. You’ll pay an annual fee of $48, charged monthly at $4 (though you could qualify for monthly rebates if you hold certain RBC accounts).
- Good credit is required. You’ll need a score of at least 660 to qualify.
- Not good for balance transfers. Like many credit cards, balance transfer rates (22.99%) are higher than purchase rates (19.99%).
- Additional fees. There are fees for services such as cash advances, dishonoured payments, foreign currency conversion and balance transfers, among others.
- Low points value. Points can take a long time to save up. Here are some example Avion conversions to dollar value: Gift cards: 140 points = $1 (0.71 CPP); Travel: 172 points = $1 (0.58 CPP); Pay with Points: 172 points = $1 (0.58 CPP)
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for an RBC ION+ Visa, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Be at least the age of majority in your province (18 or 19 years old)
You will also need to provide the following documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your social insurance number (SIN) and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply for the RBC ION+ Visa
- Click on this secure RBC ION+ link or on the “Go to site” button above to start your RBC ION+ Visa application.
- Read through the Disclosure Statement details and click Accept & Continue.
- Complete the application with details that include your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The RBC ION+ Visa is a low annual fee card that lets you earn 3x the Avion points for gas, groceries, dining out, rideshares, ordering in and making select digital purchases such as gaming, streaming and digital subscriptions. It comes with practical benefits such as a 3-month complimentary DashPass subscription, gas savings at Petro-Canada with your linked Petro points membership, the chance to earn more Be Well points at Rexall and mobile device protection.