RBC British Airways Visa Infinite Card review
- Welcome Offer
- 60,000 points
- Up to 1 point per $1 spent
- Annual Fee
- Purchase Interest Rate
- Cash Advance Rate
Frequent travellers on board British Airways now have the opportunity to earn points every time they fly with the airline. The RBC British Airways Visa Infinite Card is a frequent flyer program that gives you all the bells and whistles of a premium Visa credit card. A special bonus offer of up to 60,000 Avios points is also available, provided you meet certain conditions.
Avios is a loyalty program offered by British Airways that lets you collect points and redeem them for holidays, flights, hotels and car rentals.
Find out if the RBC British Airways Visa Infinite Card is right for you.
- Consider getting this Visa if you travel British Airways frequently and want a card that will help you collect points faster.
- The minimum personal income needed to enroll for this card is $60,000 and the minimum household income is $100,000.
- You must be a Canadian resident and the age of majority in your province to apply for the card.
The RBC British Airways Visa Infinite Card offers premium membership services to frequent flyers on board Britain’s flagship airline. Earn up to 60,000 bonus Avios points, including 15,000 welcome bonus points upon approval. The remaining 35,000 points can be collected over the course of the year as you meet minimum spend requirements and renew your card. Plus, get another 10,000 bonus Avios after your first year.
As a travel rewards card, the RBC British Airways Visa Infinite lets you earn one Avios point for every dollar you spend. Eligible purchases aren’t just limited to British Airways travel, as you can use your card anywhere Visa is accepted. Keep in mind that you will earn double the rewards for booking a British Airways flight on your card.
- Earn points. This RBC card lets you earn one Avios point for every dollar you spend. Bonuses are doubled when booking British Airways flights. These points can be redeemed for flights, vacations, hotels and other rewards.
- Welcome bonus. Earn 1 Avios for every $1 CAD you spend on qualifying purchases. If your application is approved, you’ll receive 15,000 bonus Avios points on the spot.
- Earn a companion voucher. Earn a companion voucher when you spend $30,000 annually (on qualifying purchases in a calendar year, which is the time period starting from January 1 and ending December 31) . You can either take a companion with you or instead fly solo for a 50% Avios discount on the cost of one reward seat ticket. Plus, you'll have the flexibility to pay a lower, flat fee to cover taxes, fees and carrier charges and a fixed Avios amount when you make a Reward Flight booking. Conditions apply.
- Comprehensive insurance coverage. Emergency medical, trip protection, hotel and car rental are all protected under RBC’s comprehensive insurance.
What to watch out for
- Fees. RBC’s British Airways Visa Infinite doesn’t come cheap. Primary cardholders must pay an annual fee of $165 and each additional card costs $75.
- High barrier to entry. To be eligible for this card, you need to have a minimum personal income of $60,000. If you’re married, the minimum household income needed to apply is $100,000.
- High interest rate. If you tend to carry a balance on your credit card, this RBC Visa card charges you 20.5% interest on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances.
- Bonus points aren’t easy. If you want to earn the full 60,000 bonus rewards, it’ll cost you, as only 15,000 Avios are due upon approval. To get the remaining 45,000, you need to spend $6,000 in the first 3 months (unlocks 35,000 Avios) and renew your card after your first year (unlocks the remaining 10,000 Avios).
RBC British Airways Visa Infinite Card interest rates
|Interest Type||Interest Rate|
|Purchase interest rate||20.5%|
|Cash advance rate||22.99%|
What should I know before I apply
How to apply
- Visit the RBC British Airways Visa Infinite webpage.
- Click “Apply Now.”
- Fill out the standard credit card application, which should take five minutes to complete.
The bottom line
The RBC British Airways Visa Infinite is a good option for Canadian travellers who frequent the UK or fly British Airways often. If you’re in that category, this Visa card offers a competitive rewards program and universal acceptance at merchants worldwide. If you’re enticed by the bonus points, keep in mind that only 15,000 are available immediately and the rest will have to be earned over the next 12 months.