Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare mobile banking apps
Pay bills, transfer funds or find the closest ATM through your mobile banking app.
Mobile banking lets you do a range of banking tasks without visiting a branch or logging onto a computer. Most apps allow you to keep track of your finances on the go with a range of features and services. Common banking app features include finding the closest bank locations or ATMs, paying bills and transferring funds to other accounts, as well as online investing tools and calculators.
What is mobile banking?
It’s a system that lets the customer of a financial institution process transactions through an app on your smartphone or tablet. This is not to be confused with contactless payments, which use Near Field Communications (NFC) technology to allow you to use your phone to pay for things by tapping it near another device.
Mobile banking apps and features
Most major banks have a mobile app that allows their customers to access their accounts on the go. Here are some highlights from what the “Big Five” have to offer:
|Mobile banking app||Features|
|TD Canada Trust|
Compare savings accounts
What are the advantages of mobile banking?
- Save on time. Instead of going to a bank and waiting in line to talk to someone, you can check account balances, schedule and receive payments, transfer money and organize your accounts from anywhere.
- Convenient for managing funds on-the-go. Do your banking at a time and place that suits you without having to worry about business hours.
- Stay on top of your finances while traveling. Banking apps allow you to get help from anywhere in the world with Wi-Fi, regardless of whether or not there’s a branch nearby.
- Security measures are built into the app. Generally, good mobile banking apps have a security guarantee. Still, some banks offer a conditional 100% reimbursement should an unauthorized mobile transaction occur. If you want to learn more about how you can help keep your account safe, check your bank’s website for any helpful tips.
What to look out for…
Before you start mobile banking, here’s what you should look out for.
- Security of financial transactions are paramount to any mobile banking app. Ensure that all your financial details are kept safe with proper authentication by having a user ID and password. Some banks may also incorporate a PIN number or fingerprint and facial recognition to keep you safe.
- Access to customer service. Banks have a lot of customers, so they need to able to produce a mobile banking infrastructure to handle large volumes of transactions at a time. Services should be available 24/7 and all systems should be working within the app.
- Is mobile banking available for your bank? It’s possible that some smaller banks don’t have mobile apps available. If you prefer to handle most of your finances from your phone, check to make sure an app is available before signing up for an account with a new bank.
Compare apps that reward you for your spending
Keep your information secure
Mobile phone apps can only do so much on their own to keep you secure, such as logging you out after a certain amount of inactivity or making you provide a password or biometric access. Banking on a public Wi-Fi connection or leaving your phone unlocked when you’re logged in to a banking app leaves your account at risk. Even if you aren’t logged in, taking screenshots of your balance or keeping your passwords in a note app can let your information leak. To stay safe, keep your phone locked when it’s not in your hand.
Mobile banking is used in many parts of the world and can be a great tool if used properly and securely. You can check your account details from anywhere and get notifications when there’s suspicious activity on your account, helping you get more control of your finances. Before you commit to a new bank account, make sure to compare them to get the best interest rates and features for your needs.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Money transfer hacks for expats in Canada
SPONSORED: From getting cashback to referral rewards, here are the Top 5 ways expats in Canada can save on international money transfers.
Are you a global business owner? Here’s how to pay your overseas employees
The right payment solution for your business depends on whether your highest priority is cost, speed or convenience.
Payday loan ratings methodology
How we compare and rank payday loans here at Finder Canada.
What is Compound Finance?
We explore how to use Compound Finance for lending and borrowing.
Quick Trade by Coinsquare review
Enjoy commission-free trades for multiple digital currencies with this streamlined mobile app.
Where to buy bamboo towels online in Canada 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on soft, sustainable bamboo towels online at any of these prime retailers.
Where to buy reusable makeup remover pads online in Canada 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on washable makeup remover pads for everyday use online at any of these prime retailers.
Where to buy bamboo pillows online in Canada 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on comfortable and breathable bamboo pillows online at any of these prime retailers.
Where to buy reusable swim diapers online in Canada 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on reusable swim diapers for the little ones in your life online at any of these prime retailers.
Loan Away Personal Loan review
Loan Away is an online-only lender offering personal loans of up to $5,000.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.