Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare mobile banking apps
Pay bills, transfer funds or find the closest ATM through your mobile banking app.
Mobile banking lets you do a range of banking tasks without visiting a branch or logging onto a computer. Most apps allow you to keep track of your finances on the go with a range of features and services. Common banking app features include finding the closest bank locations or ATMs, paying bills and transferring funds to other accounts, as well as online investing tools and calculators.
What is mobile banking?
It’s a system that lets the customer of a financial institution process transactions through an app on your smartphone or tablet. This is not to be confused with contactless payments, which use Near Field Communications (NFC) technology to allow you to use your phone to pay for things by tapping it near another device.
Mobile banking apps and features
Most major banks have a mobile app that allows their customers to access their accounts on the go. Here are some highlights from what the “Big Five” have to offer:
|Mobile banking app||Features|
|TD Canada Trust|
Compare savings accounts
What are the advantages of mobile banking?
- Save on time. Instead of going to a bank and waiting in line to talk to someone, you can check account balances, schedule and receive payments, transfer money and organize your accounts from anywhere.
- Convenient for managing funds on-the-go. Do your banking at a time and place that suits you without having to worry about business hours.
- Stay on top of your finances while traveling. Banking apps allow you to get help from anywhere in the world with Wi-Fi, regardless of whether or not there’s a branch nearby.
- Security measures are built into the app. Generally, good mobile banking apps have a security guarantee. Still, some banks offer a conditional 100% reimbursement should an unauthorized mobile transaction occur. If you want to learn more about how you can help keep your account safe, check your bank’s website for any helpful tips.
What to look out for…
Before you start mobile banking, here’s what you should look out for.
- Security of financial transactions are paramount to any mobile banking app. Ensure that all your financial details are kept safe with proper authentication by having a user ID and password. Some banks may also incorporate a PIN number or fingerprint and facial recognition to keep you safe.
- Access to customer service. Banks have a lot of customers, so they need to able to produce a mobile banking infrastructure to handle large volumes of transactions at a time. Services should be available 24/7 and all systems should be working within the app.
- Is mobile banking available for your bank? It’s possible that some smaller banks don’t have mobile apps available. If you prefer to handle most of your finances from your phone, check to make sure an app is available before signing up for an account with a new bank.
Keep your information secure
Mobile phone apps can only do so much on their own to keep you secure, such as logging you out after a certain amount of inactivity or making you provide a password or biometric access. Banking on a public Wi-Fi connection or leaving your phone unlocked when you’re logged in to a banking app leaves your account at risk. Even if you aren’t logged in, taking screenshots of your balance or keeping your passwords in a note app can let your information leak. To stay safe, keep your phone locked when it’s not in your hand.
Mobile banking is used in many parts of the world and can be a great tool if used properly and securely. You can check your account details from anywhere and get notifications when there’s suspicious activity on your account, helping you get more control of your finances. Before you commit to a new bank account, make sure to compare them to get the best interest rates and features for your needs.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
National Bank Direct Brokerage Review
Trade commission-free with this large Canadian bank. Plus, it’s good for beginners and pros alike.
Binance NFT Marketplace Review and Guide
The Binance NFT Marketplace offers one of the safest NFT marketplaces for creating, buying and selling NFTs.
How to send money home for the holidays from Canada
SPONSORED: How you can save when sending money abroad for festive occasions with Simplii Financial.
Payday loans for government benefits
Find out where you can apply for payday loans with government benefits.
Best Dogecoin wallets (DOGE)
Looking for the best Dogecoin wallet? Here are the five best options for storing your Doge
Best stock trading apps in Canada
Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, use this guide to compare the best stock trading app options in Canada and choose the one that’s best for you.
The best stock trading apps and platforms in Canada
We’ve taken a look at some of the best trading apps in Canada and explained who they’re best suited to. Our table compares fees and services too.
Compare Personal Loans
Compare the best personal loans in Canada to finance your next purchase and keep more money in your pocket.
Greenbox Capital business loans review
Get financing for your business from this US-based company.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.