Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to redeem AIR MILES
Find out how to redeem AIR MILES for flights, merchandise, in-store purchases and other rewards.
You can redeem AIR MILES as either Cash Miles or Dream Miles, and you’ll need to choose in advance which type you want to earn. You can redeem AIR MILES Dream Miles for travel, merchandise and gift cards. Cash Miles can be redeemed for in-store purchases and cash vouchers to your favourite stores or charities. Learn more about the different types of AIR MILES and how to redeem them in our guide below.
What is the AIR MILES rewards program?
AIR MILES is a frequent flyer program that offers rewards to nearly 11 million Canadians. As a member, you can earn points when you swipe your AIR MILES membership card at partner businesses. You can also choose to pair your membership with an AIR MILES credit card to rack up points when you shop with non-partners. AIR MILES redemptions can be made either in-store or online.
Infobox: Who are AIR MILES partners?
AIR MILES lets you earn points for everyday purchases like gas, groceries and pharmacy purchases. It partners with big retailers like Rona, Staples, Shell, Safeway, Sobeys, Thrifty Foods, Lawtons, Rexall and LCBO. It also works with 100+ retailers in its online store.
Cash Miles vs. Dream Miles: Which type should you pick?
AIR MILES redemptions require you to set which type of AIR MILES you want to collect in advance. You can choose to collect and redeem AIR MILES as either Cash Miles or Dream Miles. Your AIR MILES points redemption will depend on which type of AIR MILES you pick.
- Cash Miles. Cash Miles let you redeem AIR MILES in-person with partner stores or online using eVouchers.
- Dream Miles. Dream Miles can be redeemed online only for flights, hotels, car rentals, merchandise, events and attractions.
How do I select my preference?
You can set the way you want to collect and redeem AIR MILES by signing in to airmiles.ca and using the toggle to set whether you want to earn Cash or Dream Miles. You just use the slider tool to set your AIR MILES points redemption preferences (as shown below). You can also toggle to 100% on either side if you only want to earn one type of AIR MILE.
You won’t be able to change your balance for the AIR MILES you’ve already collected, but this will change how you collect and redeem AIR MILES going forwards. When you’re all set, click “Update balance preference” to save your changes. You can change your AIR MILES points redemption preferences as often as you’d like, but you won’t be able to transfer existing Miles between Dream Miles and Cash Miles.
How can I redeem my AIR MILES?
Redeeming AIR MILES depends on what type of AIR MILES you collect to begin with. Find out how you can redeem Dream Miles or Cash Miles below:
Redeem AIR MILES Cash Miles
You can redeem AIR MILES Cash Miles online for eVouchers or in-person at participating partner stores. You’ll need to redeem your miles in increments of $10, with a minimum AIR MILES redemption of 95 Cash Miles (a value of $10) up to a maximum AIR MILES redemption of 750 Cash Miles.
- Redeeming AIR MILES Cash Miles online. You can redeem AIR MILES Cash Miles online for eVouchers. Use them anytime online with participating partners or use them in-store when you print them or show them on your phone. Retailers include Apple, Spotify, Uber Eats and DoorDash.
- Redeeming AIR MILES Cash Miles in-person. You simply need to visit a partner store and show your AIR MILES membership card or open the AIR MILES app to redeem your Cash Miles at checkout. Your Miles will automatically be withdrawn from your account when you make a purchase. Retailers include Thrifty Foods, Staples, Shell and Safeway.
Redeem AIR MILES Dream Miles
You can only redeem Dream Miles online. To redeem AIR MILES Dream Miles, you’ll need to log in to your AIR MILES account and browse the travel portal or the AIR MILES Rewards Miles catalogue for merchandise. Select the reward that you want to redeem your Dream Miles for, confirm your purchase and they’ll be automatically withdrawn from your account.
- Redeeming AIR MILES Dream Miles for travel. To redeem Dream Miles, you’ll need to log in to airmiles.ca and select flights, hotels or car rentals under the “Travel” tab. From there, you book your flight as you would on a regular travel website. AIR MILES will show you how many points you need to redeem as well as how much cash is left owing for fees and other charges.
- Redeeming AIR MILES Dream Miles for merchandise. You can redeem points for merchandise by logging in to the AIR MILES Rewards Miles Catalogue. Search for the item or brand you’re interested in exchanging your miles for or see what’s available by browsing the website. When you find the item you want to purchase and open it, you can see what it’s worth in miles. Then you simply click “Buy” to finalize your purchase.
How to redeem AIR MILES for flights
You can redeem Dream Miles for flights but not Cash Miles. The process for how to redeem AIR MILES Dream Miles for flights is outlined below:
- Sign in to airmiles.ca with your AIR MILES card number and PIN.
- Use the “Book Flights” section of the website to indicate where you want to go and when.
- Click “Find flights” and then browse the selection of flights on offer.
- Each flight should indicate how much it will cost in points as well as how much you’ll have to pay for surcharges in cash.
- Select the flight you want and book it to redeem Dream Miles (which will come out of your account automatically upon booking).
How much are AIR MILES worth?
It’s challenging to say how much each individual Air Mile is worth because the value of each mile will depend on the reward you’re redeeming it for. That said, estimates from other reputable sites note that each point is worth around 10 to 20 cents on average.
You’ll usually get a higher return when you redeem AIR MILES for flights and other travel. You may get a lower value when you redeem Dream Miles for merchandise or redeem Cash Miles for in-store purchases.
Using an AIR MILES credit card for bigger redemptions
There are two ways to earn and redeem AIR MILES in Canada. These include showing your membership card when you shop with partner stores or using an AIR MILES credit card to earn AIR MILES faster with partner and non-partner stores.
You’ll usually earn a set number of points with your AIR MILES credit card, which will be automatically deposited into your AIR MILES membership account (since the two are linked). You can collect and redeem AIR MILES as Cash Miles or Dream Miles.
→ Compare AIR MILES Credit Cards in our full guide to learn more.
Compare AIR MILES credit cards
If you’re ready to redeem AIR MILES for flights and other rewards, you have several options. You can redeem Dream Miles by logging in to the airmiles.ca online portal or by visiting the AIR MILES Rewards Miles catalogue. Cash Miles can be redeemed with partner stores at the cash register or online using an eVoucher. Find out how you can redeem your AIR MILES quickly and easily and learn more about AIR MILES credit cards if you want to earn AIR MILES faster.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to invest in renewables
Investing in renewable energy isn’t just good for the planet—it can be good for your portfolio too.
Best credit cards
We’ve taken a look at some of the best credit cards in Canada and explained who they’re best suited to.
Yukon travel restrictions: Where you can go in September 2021
These are the current Yukon travel restrictions that you should keep in mind.
Investing in your 30s: 8 wealth-building tips
Prepare to revamp your asset allocation and explore new investment classes when you’re in your 30s.
Debt.ca debt relief services review
If you’re struggling with your finances, Debt.ca helps you consider your debt relief options and connects you with local debt specialists.
CIBC Aeroplan Visa for Students Review
Earn Aeroplan Points and other travel benefits with the CIBC Aeroplan Visa for Students.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.
Neo Financial Credit Card Review
Shop with Neo’s partners to earn accelerated cashback on your purchases with this innovative credit card.
How to find the best community bank lender for your small business
Developing a long-term relationship with your local banker can be a great investment for your business.
RBC Debit Card Review
Apply for a debit card with this Big Five bank to make purchases online or in-store directly from your bank account.