Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Auto manufacturers that sell cars in Canada
Get the lowdown on 30+ automakers and what they have to offer.
If you’re buying a new car, the sheer number of makes and models available can be overwhelming. We break down the most common manufacturers that sell cars in Canada to help you suss out what each has to offer.
Popular Acura models include:
- RDX. This crossover features a 272-horsepower engine and comes with the choice of all-wheel drive (AWD) or front-wheel drive (FWD) traction.
- MDX. This midsize SUV is the largest of the brand, featuring a third back seat, 290-horsepower engine and the choice of AWD or FWD.
Founded in Milan in 1910, this legendary Italian racing brand has long been associated with exciting high-performance sports cars. Impressive performance and eye-catching styling are hallmarks of this iconic carmaker, which is now owned by Italian-American giant Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
Popular Alfa Romeo models include:
- Giulia. Stylish sports sedan boasting elegant lines and rear-wheel drive.
- Stelvio. With a sleek design and comfort that’s perfect for a road trip, this premium SUV can take you from 0 to 60 mph in just seconds.
- 4C Spider. Equipped with a rear backup camera and parking sensors, this gorgeous Alfa Romeo sports car expertly combines speed and safety.
This well-known British sports car and grand tourer manufacturer was founded in London in 1913, but skyrocketed to worldwide fame during the 1960s on the back of the James Bond movie franchise. Exclusive high-performance vehicles continue to be the name of the game for Aston Martin in the modern era, and it produces a glamorous range of coupes, roadsters and sedans.
Popular Aston Martin models include:
- Vantage. A luxurious sports car designed for everything from racing to a leisurely drive.
- DBS Superleggera. Increased power and sporty performance help this convertible deliver a memorable driving experience.
- DB11. Aston Martin’s most powerful and fuel-efficient DB production model ever, the DB11 comes with a V8 or V12 engine.
German carmaker Audi has roots dating back to the early 20th century, but its latest iteration essentially got started in the 1960s. Known for offering an extensive variety of luxury vehicles, Audi has nine production facilities around the world and is part of the Volkswagen Group. Its vehicle range includes sedans, hatches, SUVs, luxury tourers, coupes, convertibles and wagons.
Popular Audi models include:
- A4. Mid-sized luxury car with interior refinement and plenty of performance potential.
- Q3. The compact SUV with sporty styling and a choice of front- or all-wheel drive.
- Q7. Seven-seat luxury SUV with a 3.0-liter turbodiesel engine, eight-speed auto and all-wheel drive.
This legendary British carmaker is synonymous with luxury vehicles. Founded in North London in 1919, Bentley rose to fame by winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans several times in the next decade. Though it also saw several decades of ownership by Rolls-Royce during the 20th century, Bentley is now part of the Volkswagen Group and continues to produce an exclusive range of luxury cars and SUVs.
Popular Bentley models include:
- Continental GT. A grand tourer with impressive performance and a high standard of fit and finish.
- Bentayga. Old-school luxury meets all the modern creature comforts in this ridiculously quick tourer.
- Mulsanne. Ultra-luxurious, the Mulsanne can be customized in a variety of ways to suit your personal tastes.
BMW, which is more formally known as Bavarian Motor Works, was founded in 1916. This legendary German brand is one of the world’s best-selling luxury carmakers and has long been a sought-after choice for car buyers. Its comprehensive model range includes hatches, sedans, wagons, SUVs, coupes and convertibles, plus everything from high-performance vehicles to hybrids and electric cars.
Popular BMW models include:
- 3 Series. A high-performance drive available in an extensive range of variants.
- X1. A compact SUV loaded with safety gear and a variety of other features.
- X5. Five-door, medium-sized SUV available with five or seven seats, gas or diesel engines and all- or rear-wheel drive.
Popular Buick models include:
- Encore. This small SUV features a sporty exterior and 138-horsepower engine.
- Enclave. The biggest SUV of the brand, the Enclave comes with a V6 engine, lots of cargo space and a roomy interior.
Founded in 1909, French carmaker Bugatti manufactures some of the most exhilarating high-performance sports cars the world has ever seen. Now owned by Volkswagen, Bugatti’s limited-production vehicles are extremely rare and highly sought-after by the rich and famous.
Popular Bugatti models include:
- Veyron. Legendary sports car with more than 1,000 hp and a top speed of over 250 mph.
- Chiron. A super sports car that produces an astonishing 1,500 hp and holds a world record for going from 0 to 249 mph in just 42 seconds.
Popular Cadillac models include:
- XT5. This luxury midsize SUV offers a competitive starting price, smooth ride and 310-horsepower engine.
- Escalade. Featuring a 450-horsepower engine, this fullsize SUV offers impressive towing capabilities, a roomy interior and lots of cargo space.
Popular Chevrolet models include:
- Silverado. This big and brash pickup truck comes with plenty of grunt.
- Tahoe. A large SUV powered by a 5.3L V8 engine.
- Corvette. This iconic sports car features a high level of performance that makes you feel like you’re on the race track.
Founded in 1925 as one biggest automobile manufacturers in the US, Chrysler is known for its sleek and durable minivans and sedans that won’t break the bank. You can buy a new model almost anywhere nationwide.
Popular Chrysler models include:
- 300. A luxury, family-friendly sedan with an extensive range of standard inclusions.
- Pacifica. A sleek minivan with a V6 engine and 287 horsepower.
First founded in 1900 as an auto part supplier in Detroit, Dodge Brothers Company started manufacturing automobiles itself in 1914. Today, Dodge is known for its stylish minivans, trucks and sports cars.
Popular Dodge models include:
- Journey. A crossover SUV with a range of practical features and an optional third row of seating.
- Challenger. This muscular sports car features all-speed traction control and ventilated seating to make your driving experience as smooth as can be.
- Durango. A sturdy SUV charged with a V8 engine that can tow up to 8,700 lbs.
Ferrari is arguably one of the most famous car manufacturers in the world. The renowned “prancing horse” badge can trace its roots back to 1939, when Enzo Ferrari founded the now-legendary carmaker out of Alfa Romeo’s race division. Along with its proud history in Formula 1 racing, Ferrari has continued to produce iconic high-performance vehicles right up to the present day.
Popular Ferrari models include:
- 812 Superfast. This front-mid engine V12 flagship produces 588 kW of power and goes from o to 60 mph in 2.8 seconds.
- Portofino. A convertible supercar with the good looks and performance you’d expect from a Ferrari.
- 488 Pista. This two-door sports car comes with a V8 engine and an iconic Ferrari appearance.
Founded in Turin in 1899, Fiat has been one of Italy’s best-selling carmakers for more than a century. Now part of the Italian-American Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Alliance, Fiat produces small, medium and mid-sized hatches, SUVs and also light commercial vans.
Popular Fiat models include:
- 500. Cute little hatch available in a huge range of color combinations.
- 500X. Five-seat, four-door SUV based on the 500 platform.
Henry Ford and the company he founded in Michigan in 1903 will forever be linked to the history of the automobile. To this day, Ford still offers a large range of hatches, sedans, SUVs and light commercial vehicles to drivers throughout the country.
Popular Ford models include:
- Fiesta. The durable sedan that you can rely on to haul your family through your next road trip.
- Mustang. The legendary sports car with a combo of speed and style that’s too cool for the movies.
- Ecosport. A roomy, five-seat SUV with leather-trimmed seats and a 4G LTE WiFi hotspot.
Hyundai’s luxury car brand, Genesis was recently founded in 2015 and only offers three sedan models. However, it has plans to expand its lineup with an electric sports car and crossover in the near future.
Popular Genesis models include:
- G80. This high-class sedan offers an impressive array of standard tech and safety features and is powered by a 420-horsepower V8 engine.
- G90. This smaller sedan offers the same 420-horsepower V8 engine, but comes with sportier handling and high safety ratings.
Popular GMC models include:
- Sierra. One of most luxurious trucks on the market, the Sierra features a roomy interior, smooth ride and 420-horsepower engine.
- Terrain. This compact SUV comes with a luxurious interior, spacious seats and the option of all- or front-wheel drive.
Fast-forward more than half a century and the brand has built a reputation for impressive build quality, the latest safety features and overall reliability. Its vehicle range includes small and medium hatches, sedans, SUVs, hybrids and minivans.
Popular Honda models include:
- HR-V. A small SUV with front-wheel drive, a range of trim levels and a four-cylinder engine.
- Civic. The worldwide bestseller boasts eye-catching styling and is available as a sedan or hatch.
- CR-V. The ever-popular SUV known for its interior finish and high level of build quality.
This South Korean automotive giant was founded in 1947 and is now the fourth largest car manufacturer in the world. Since 1986, it’s earned a reputation as a cheap and cheerful brand. And its significant improvements in quality and refinement has turned it into a favorite among new car buyers.
Its range of vehicles includes sporty coupes, hatches, small and medium sedans, SUVs, minivans and even light commercial vehicles.
Popular Hyundai models include:
- Tucson. A practical mid-sized SUV that’s taken sales charts by storm in recent years.
- Santa Fe. Hyundai’s most advanced SUV, this model features wireless phone charging pads and Smart Cruise Control that maintains a safe distance from other vehicles.
- Accent. A small car with entry-level pricing, good fuel economy and suspension tuned for tough roads.
Popular Infiniti models include:
- Q50. A sleek sports car with distinctive good looks and a high level of refinement, with the speed of 400 horsepower to boot.
- QX50. Powerful SUV packed with features and headlined by impressive aesthetics with a 5-star overall safety rating.
Established as the Swallow Sidecar Company in 1922, Jaguar rose to fame in the ’50s and ‘60s on the back of iconic Le Mans-winning race cars. It’s been through a few ups and downs since those heady days, however, having merged with Land Rover to form Jaguar Land Rover.
Popular Jaguar models include:
- XE. A medium sedan boasting classic Jaguar style and excellent handling characteristics.
- XF. This four-door sports sedan offers an impressive engine and a sleek look.
- F-Type. Two-seat, front-engined sports car available with a range of six- and eight-cylinder engines.
First produced in 1941, the Jeep became the light four-wheel-drive of choice for the Canadian Armed Forces and the Allies during World War II. Today, Jeep is owned by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, but its reputation for having a rugged off-road capability is still reflected in the range of SUVs and off-road vehicles it offers.
Popular Jeep models include:
- Cherokee. A mid-sized SUV with a distinctive appearance and good interior space and comfort.
- Grand Cherokee. A large SUV with great off-road capability and good on-road handling and comfort.
- Wrangler. Rugged, reliable and right at home off-road, the Wrangler is lacking in creature comforts.
Kia, South Korea’s second-largest car manufacturer, is minority-owned by Hyundai, the country’s largest manufacturer. Founded in 1944 as a manufacturer of steel tubing and bicycle parts, its range now includes a full range of vehicles to suit buyers of all budgets.
Popular Kia models include:
- Sorento. A stylish and versatile vehicle that won the 2019 Top Safety Pick+ Award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).
- Sportage. A medium-sized, five-door SUV based on the Hyundai Tucson.
- Rio. The comfy sedan that’s affordable, fun and practical.
Italian manufacturer Lamborghini produces some of the most sought-after supercars and sports cars in the world. Founded in 1963, Lamborghini is now owned by the Volkswagen Group and managed by the group’s Audi division. Though best known for its sleek and ultra-fast sports cars, Lamborghini is increasing its focus on the SUV sector in an effort to boost sales.
Popular Lamborghini models include:
- Aventador. Stunning power, excellent handling and beautiful styling are the highlights of this two-door sports car.
- Huracan. Stylish and super-quick, this replaced the Gallardo — Lamborghini’s highest-selling model ever.
Britain’s Land Rover brand is a four-wheel-drive specialist that can trace its history back to 1948. These days, Jaguar Land Rover is owned by India’s Tata Motors – quite a remarkable turn of events for this British icon. Regardless, the brand is still synonymous with go-anywhere off-road capability.
Popular Land Rover models include:
- Discovery. A large SUV that combines off-road capability with on-road comfort and refinement.
- Range Rover. The car that started the luxury 4WD craze still has impressive off-road capability.
- Range Rover Evoque. A compact Range Rover that brings its own unique luxury and style to the premium SUV market.
Lexus is Toyota’s prestige brand and has developed a reputation for producing refined, luxury vehicles. Founded in 1989, Lexus offers a range of sedans, hatches, SUVs, 4WD wagons and sports cars to drivers nationwide.
Popular Lexus models include:
- IS. Good looks and unbeatable build quality are hallmarks of this performance sedan.
- RC. Stylish sports coupe designed to get the heart racing.
- RX. A mid-sized SUV with impressive handling and a long list of features.
Founded in 1917 as the luxury division of Ford, it was named after former US President Abraham Lincoln. Over the past century, it’s expanded its line of luxury vehicles to not only include sedans, but SUVs and crossovers as well.
Popular Lincoln models include:
- MKX. This midsize SUV boasts a V6 2L turbocharged engine and above-average safety and reliability ratings.
- Navigator. One of the most iconic SUVs in America, the Lincoln Navigator features a 450-horsepower engine, front-wheel drive and a ridiculously spacious interior — both for passengers and cargo.
This iconic British sports car manufacturer was established in 1952 and built a reputation for building stylish cars known for their light weight and excellent handling. Ownership of the classic marque has changed hands several times since the 1980s, with Lotus coming under the control of China’s Geely in 2017.
Popular Lotus models include:
- Evora 400. A fast, comfortable and good-looking sports car with a 3.5-liter V6 engine that can hit a top speed of 186 mph.
- Evora GT. This sleek and fast tourer with excellent performance makes you feel like you’re on the race track.
This Italian luxury car manufacturer was founded in Bologna in 1914. It has a reputation for combining interior refinement and comfort with a high level of performance. Purchased by Fiat in 1993, it now comes under the ownership umbrella of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, but still remains known for its range of high-end vehicles.
Popular Maserati models include:
- Ghibli. A powerful and refined mid-sized sedan that offers plenty of driving enjoyment.
- Quattroporte. Beautiful inside and out, this ultra-luxury sedan turns heads everywhere it goes.
- GranTurismo. A sports coupe that combines high-level performance with an impressive level of comfort.
Founded in 1920 with a history of manufacturing machine tools and auto rickshaws, Mazda even produced weaponry for the Japanese military in World War II. Its first cars rolled off the production line in the 1960s, and today it’s known for producing a wide range of high-quality and reasonably priced vehicles.
Popular Mazda models include:
- CX-3. A dazzling SUV with blind spot monitoring and rear cross-traffic alerts to ensure your drive is smooth and safe.
- Mazda3. This is available as a small-sized sedan and hatchback with great handling and a long list of standard features.
The Mercedes-Benz badge has long been associated with the highest levels of automotive engineering and quality. Founded in the 1880s and owned by Germany’s Daimler AG, the three-pointed star badge graces a range of prestige luxury sedans, hatches, wagons, coupes, roadsters, sports cars and even SUVs.
Popular Mercedes-Benz models include:
- C-Class. Well-equipped and easy on the eye, the C-Class is available as a sedan, estate, coupe or cabriolet.
- CLA Coupe. A four-door coupe, the CLA-Class features advanced safety technology and excellent dynamics.
- GLC. This stylish and efficient vehicle is available as a coupe or SUV.
England’s Mini specializes in stylish, zippy small cars — and there are few vehicles more closely associated with the swinging ‘60s than this iconic marque. Originally owned by the British Motor Corporation, Mini is now a subsidiary of German manufacturer BMW. Despite the change in ownership, Mini is still famous for its legendary styling and agile-handling vehicles.
Popular Mini models include:
- Cooper. One of the most famous cars in the world, it has all the modern creature comforts we’ve come to love from Mini.
- Mini Convertible. A cool convertible known for its fun driving characteristics.
- Countryman. A fuel-efficient Mini designed to carry the whole family in comfort.
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation can trace its automotive origins back to 1917 and Mitsubishi Shipbuilding Co.’s introduction of the Mitsubishi Model A, the first series-production vehicle to come out of Japan. In modern times, Mitsubishi is now one-third owned by Nissan and produces a complete range of passenger vehicles. From sedans and hatches to SUVs, light-commercial vehicles and even hybrid models, there are vehicles in the Mitsubishi range to suit a wide variety of drivers.
Popular Mitsubishi models include:
- Outlander. A tough SUV with safety alerts for blind spots and forward collision.
- Mirage. A small affordable SUV designed with city use in mind.
- Eclipse. A sporty SUV with advanced all-wheel control to ensure stability for all types of roads.
Nissan’s vehicle range is comprehensive, including small and mid-sized passenger cars, SUVs of all shapes and sizes, high-performance coupes and roadsters, and light commercial vehicles. It even sells the fully electric Leaf hatch, a car designed with the environment in mind.
Popular Nissan models include:
- Altima. Armed with the world’s first VC-turbo engine and all-wheel drive, this sedan will carry the whole family with speed and style.
- Rogue. Versatile mid-sized SUV available with five seats and safety alerts ranging from blind spot warning to rear automatic braking.
- Titan. A sturdy pickup truck with a four-sided fully boxed frame that can haul more than 9,000 lbs.
German marque Porsche has long been synonymous with high-performance sports cars, but in recent years has also developed a strong following for its luxury SUVs. Founded in Stuttgart in 1931, Porsche is now owned by the Volkswagen Group. If you’re looking for a high-end, high-performance coupe, convertible, sedan or SUV, a Porsche model may very well be near the top of your shopping list.
Popular Porsche models include:
- 911. A legendary sports car famous for its nimble handling and memorable driving experience.
- Macan. Luxury all-wheel-drive SUV with plenty of engine options — and plenty of power.
- Cayenne. A large five-seat SUV that saved Porsche from oblivion when it was introduced in the 1990s.
Popular Ram models include:
- Ram 1500. A consistent high ranker within the top spots on bestseller and best overall truck lists, the Ram 1500 features impressive towing capability, a roomy interior and powerful V8 engine.
Popular Rolls Royce models include:
- Phantom. This fullsize luxury saloon car features a 563-horsepower engine, smooth steering and a decked-out interior.
- Cullinan. Rolls Royce’s first ever SUV saw the light of day in 2018 and is considered the most luxurious SUV ever created.
This German automaker is partly owned by Mercedes-Benz and Geely. Its cars are known for their fuel efficiency, unique design and compact build. However, as of the 2020 model, the Smart Fortwo is no longer sold in Canada. You may still come across older models though, and Mercedes-Benz Canada will still continue to support Smart car owners with parts and service.
Popular Smart models include:
- Fortwo. Though not the highest rated compact car on the market, it offers good fuel economy and easy maneuverability.
Founded in Japan in 1953, Subaru is named after the Pleiades star cluster. Innovation and technology are hallmarks of the Subaru range, with the carmaker famous for its use of boxer engines and symmetrical all-wheel drive. Though its sporty and super-fast WRX has turned a few heads in its time, Subaru’s range of sedans and wagons have also proved to be big hits with casual buyers.
Popular Subaru models include:
- Outback. A practical off-road SUV packed with creature comforts.
- Impreza. Available in sedan and five-door body styles, this long-lasting vehicle is a 2019 IIHS Top Safety Pick+.
- WRX. This turbocharged all-wheel drive sedan offers a whole lot more performance than its price tag would suggest.
Based in Palo Alto, California and founded in 2003, this relatively new American automaker specializes in electric cars. In fact, as of September 2019, it’s one of the best-selling plug-in passenger car manufacturers in the world.
Popular Tesla models include:
- Model 3. One of the most popular luxury sedans in Canada – beating out other non-electric luxury cars – the Tesla Model 3 gets between 116 and 133 MPGe depending on the trim.
- Model X. This electric SUV features all-wheel drive, loads of tech features and up to a 325-mile driving range.
Founded in Japan in 1937, Toyota has a truly global footprint and is the world’s largest car manufacturer. Famous for build quality and reliability, Toyota’s model range includes everything from hatchbacks and sedans to SUVs and hybrid electric vehicles.
Popular Toyota models include:
- Camry. The ever-popular family sedan known for its safety and impressive build quality.
- Corolla. A safe and reliable small car with a 5-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
- Tacoma. This tough, rugged pickup is known for its off-road capability and 6,800-lb. towing capacity.
This famous German marque was founded in 1937 as the maker of “The People’s Car,” and today it’s grown to become the world’s second largest car manufacturer. Known for its innovative and exciting engines combined with groundbreaking design, Volkswagen is also known for its affordable prices.
Popular Volkswagen models include:
- Golf. The sporty, enjoyable and feature-packed hatchback with a 5-star safety rating from NHTSA.
- Jetta. A fuel-efficient and compact sedan loaded with features.
- Beetle. The iconic small car that’s both sleek and retro.
For what this Swedish carmaker may lack in pizzazz, it certainly makes up for with impressive build quality, enviable durability and innovative safety features. Founded in 1927 and headquartered in Gothenburg, Volvo was sold to Ford in 1999 and then bought by China’s Geely Holding Group in 2010. The luxury carmaker has consistently secured a reputation for its reliability and longevity.
Popular Volvo models include:
- XC90. This luxury seven-seat SUV stands as Volvo’s flagship model.
- XC60. A mid-sized family SUV designed to take you and the kids just about anywhere.
- V90. Distinctive design and an impressive list of features make this luxury wagon a popular choice.
Compare auto loans
Whether you want to buy a fancy sports car to speed off into the night or an SUV big enough to load up for a road trip, knowing a car brand well can help you figure out what’s the best fit for your needs. And once you’ve settled on the perfect car, you can then figure out how to pay for it – whether that be with cash or with a loan. If you decide financing is the way to go, read through our guide to car loans to learn how they work and to compare different options.
More guides on Finder
Cheapest cars to insure
Use our our helpful guide to compare the cheapest and most expensive cars to insure.
Car Insurance Statistics
The economic shutdowns saw more cars in driveways than on the roads. Finder looked at Canada’s top insurance platforms to see how interest has changed over time.
Luxury car insurance in 2021
Protect your luxury car with a customized policy that offers higher coverage options and special perks.
Car insurance for 4×4 cars
Make sure you get enough coverage to protect your four-wheel drive during daily driving or off-road thrills.
Compare sports car insurance and coverage
Compare car insurance coverage options for sports cars and rates for popular models.
Best small cars of 2020
Compare 7 of the best small car models based on their MSRP, fuel efficiency, spaciousness and more.
Car maintenance costs
Discover what goes into car maintenance costs, ways to save and how you can pay for repairs with our helpful guide.
How car depreciation affects your car’s value
Cars lose value as soon as they’re driven off the lot. Find out how much your car could be worth and how to save money on your next car.
How to finance a Chevrolet
Students, military members and employees may qualify for a discount on their next Chevy.
How to finance a Cadillac
Compare your car loan options before hitting the dealership to get one of these luxury vehicles.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.