Earn rewards on your purchases and travel in style with the best* premium credit cards.
Premium credit cards typically have the highest value when used on travel and luxury related purchases, such as flights, hotel stays, dining and gas purchases. You can earn accelerated points with these types of cards and use their many perks, like annual travel credits, concierge services, complimentary lounge access and much more. While these cards can help you travel and dine in style, you’ll have to be prepared to pay a high annual fee.
Compare two luxury credit cards
Compare premium credit cards
Top premium credit cards
Jump to …
- Best ultimate luxury travel card: The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Best for hotels: Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card
- Best for cash back: Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite Card
- Best for rewards points: Scotiabank Gold American Express Card
- Best for balance transfers: American Express® AIR MILES® Reserve Credit Card
- Best for dining and travel: American Express Cobalt™ Card
When making our selection of the top premium credit cards, we looked at a variety of benefits a consumer might consider. Some of these could include the types of reward programs, cash back or points per dollar spent, travel or bonus statement credits, annual fee, welcome offer value, balance transfer fees and other luxurious perks found in a premium credit card. The cards below stood above and beyond the competition in one or several categories, earning a spot on our list.
Best ultimate luxury travel card: The Platinum Card® from American Express
Best for hotels: Marriott Bonvoy™ American Express® Card
Best for cash back: Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite Card
Best for rewards points: Scotiabank Gold American Express Card
Best for balance transfers: American Express® AIR MILES® Reserve Credit Card
Best for dining and travel: American Express Cobalt™ Card
How to compare top premium credit cards
To choose the best elite credit card, ask yourself:
- Would you rather earn cash back, points or miles? Compare the value of cash back, points and miles to determine which will give you more bang for your buck. Also, consider what you will use more of. If you’re not a big traveller, avoid earning miles and instead consider cash back.
- Do you want to earn accelerated points? Accelerated points usually come with more expensive credit cards and may limit you to specific spend categories. If you spend a lot on travel, gas or groceries, try to find a card that offers accelerated rewards in the categories you spend most in.
- Do you want to do a balance transfer? Balance transfer offers vary greatly, from 0% offers to low interest rates, offers lasting for six months and offers lasting up to ten months. Consider how much debt you have and how much you’re looking to transfer.
- Do you want the ultimate credit card? If you’re willing to pay for it, one of the top credit cards on the market is the Platinum Card from American Express. For an annual fee of $699, this card gives you the ultimate in luxury travel benefits.
If you’ve got a very good credit score and you’re willing to pay a high annual fee, you can usually get the best premium cards. These types of cards typically come with an annual airline credit, accelerated points on travel purchases, complimentary airport lounge access, concierge services, shopping benefits and more.