RBC Visa Signature Black U.S. Credit Card review
Avoid currency exchange rates when you make purchases in the US with this innovative cross-border credit card.You won't have to pay currency exchange rates when shopping in the US, and you'll collect 1 RBC Rewards point for every dollar you spend.
Purchase Interest Rate
- Get this card if you regularly shop or travel in the US and you want to avoid currency conversion fees when you make purchases.
- Choose something else if you don’t have a source of US income to pay off your balance or you want to earn a higher rate on rewards.
- There are no minimum income requirements to qualify for this card.
If you want to save money on fees when making purchases in the US, then you might benefit from the RBC Visa Signature Black U.S. Credit Card.
- No annual fee. You won’t have to pay an annual fee to keep your account active.
- Return on rewards. You’ll earn 1 RBC Rewards point for every dollar you spend on your card.
- Low introductory interest. You may qualify for a lower interest rate on your outstanding balance for up to six months.
- Roadside assistance. Enjoy complimentary roadside assistance whenever you travel by car in the US or Canada.
- Many forms of insurance. Enjoy multiple forms of insurance on this card including coverage for mobile devices, rental cars, trip cancellation and lost baggage.
|Type of insurance||Level of coverage|
|Trip cancellation or interruption||Up to $5,000 per trip|
|Travel accident insurance||Up to $500,000 per trip|
|Lost luggage insurance||Up to $3,000 per trip|
|Rental car insurance||Varies|
|Mobile device insurance||Up to $200 (with a $50 deductible)|
|Purchase security||Up to $500 per occurrence|
- No US address required. You won’t need to show that you reside in the US to qualify for this credit card.
- Premier benefits from Visa. You can take advantage of Visa’s signature concierge service to schedule events, purchase tickets and get special discounts.
- Pool and transfer points. You’ll be able to pool your points with family and friends or transfer them back to your Canadian RBC account for ease of use.
- Easy to pay your bills. You can select the “Pay now” feature in your RBC Direct Checking account to pay down your balance in US dollars.
- Tap and pay. It’s easy to use the contactless payment feature at participating merchants to tap your card and hit the road.
- Zero-liability coverage. Feel free to relax with the knowledge that you won’t have to pay in case of fraudulent activity on your account.
- 24/7 support. You can call RBC any time of day or night to troubleshoot issues with your account.
What to watch out for
- No welcome bonus. You won’t get a surplus of RBC Rewards points just for signing up.
- High interest. You’ll pay as much as 19.99% interest on outstanding balances after the 6-month introductory low interest period.
- Low return on points. There’s no opportunity to earn accelerated points, and you’ll earn a flat rate of 1 RBC Rewards point across all categories of purchases.
- No travel insurance. This card doesn’t include travel medical insurance, so you’ll need to purchase this separately whenever you go overseas.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the RBC Visa Signature Black U.S. Credit Card, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
You will also need to provide the following documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply
- Visit RBC’s website and find the page for the RBC Visa Signature Black U.S. Credit Card.
- Click “Apply now” and complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The RBC Visa Signature Black U.S. Credit Card is designed for customers who regularly travel or spend money in the US. This card lets you make purchases in US dollars without having to pay currency conversion rates. It also gives you a return of 1 RBC Rewards point for every dollar you spend and offers many other benefits. There is no annual fee and it is typically paired with the RBC Direct Checking account.