This article contains links to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive a commission when you click or make a purchase using our site. Learn more about how we make money.
CTL Car Loan review
Get a rate reduction loan with this innovative company to lower your interest rates for every year you make on-time payments.
- Think about a CTL Car Loan if you want to save money on interest and you’d like to work with a company that practices responsible lending.
- Pick something else if you’d prefer to get financing from a major bank or you want to work with a company that has a stronger online presence.
CTL is a Canadian-owned auto finance company established in 2010 to help Canadians with bad credit get the money they need to purchase a vehicle. It offers rate reduction loans, which allow you to qualify for a lower interest rate every year that you pay your loan back on time.
CTL was acquired by iA Auto Finance back in 2015, which means any CTL Car Loan you take out will be branded under iA Financial Group. That said, you’ll be able to get the same terms for an iA Auto Finance loan as you would with a CTL Car Loan.
First, do I qualify?
To get financing with CTL (also known as iA Auto Finance), you’ll typically need to be the age of majority in your province. You’ll also need to be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and have a valid Social Insurance Number. While many customers with bad credit can qualify, you may also have to undergo a credit check to be approved for a loan.
What provinces are CTL Car Loans available in?CTL Car Loans are offered in all Canadian provinces by iA Financial Group, which is one of Canada’s leading car insurance companies. You can easily call in to the customer service line from anywhere in Canada to find out how you can sign up for an iA Financial Group rate reducing loan. Many dealers across the country also act as brokers for CTL Car Loans, so you may end up with one if you choose to go through a dealer to purchase your vehicle.
What makes CTL Car Loans unique?CTL Car Loans are unique because they offer interest rate reductions for every year that you pay your loan off on time. This will let you pay the principal amount of your loan off faster, which means you’ll be debt-free in a shorter time period. Paying off your debt will improve your credit score and give you a paid-off asset (your vehicle) to borrow against in the future.
When you have an asset to borrow against, you can lower your interest rates for future loans. You’ll also be able to qualify for lower rates with a higher credit score. In this sense, CTL Car Loans allow customers with bad credit to get out of debt while also giving them access to a vehicle.
What types of car loans does CTL offer?
CTL offers a number of loans through its acquisition partner, iA Auto Finance.
- New car loans. It’s possible to qualify for new car financing so that you can purchase a brand new vehicle from a dealership.
- Used car loans. You can apply for a smaller loan to buy a used vehicle if you want to avoid the costs of depreciation.
- Rate reduction loans. CTL offers rate reduction loans, which give you a lower interest rate for every year you make on-time payments.
- Bad credit loans. You’ll be able to get a loan for a new or used vehicle even if your credit is in bad shape.
What are the benefits of a CTL Car Loan?
- Decreasing interest rates. Your interest rates will go down for every year that you make all of your payments on time.
- Socially responsible lender. This lender tries to help customers escape the cycle of debt by providing an option that helps them rebuild their credit.
- Bad credit doesn’t matter. You can still qualify for a CTL Car Loan even if you have a low credit score, which can be helpful when other financing options aren’t available to you.
- Helps to rebuild credit. CTL Car Loans will report all of your on-time payments to the credit bureaus so that your credit score goes up faster.
- Available across Canada. You can access CTL Car Loans from anywhere in Canada since they’re offered through iA Auto Finance (one of Canada’s largest insurers/lenders).
What to watch out for
- No online application. It’s difficult to know where to apply for a CTL Car Loan directly as they’re mostly offered when you apply for financing through an accredited dealership.
- Few loan details available. There’s no information about interest rates or term lengths online, so you won’t know what your loan might look like before you call in for a quote.
- High rates in the beginning. Your interest rates could be higher than 20% in your first year, depending on the state of your credit.
- No private vehicle financing. You won’t be able to get a CTL Car Loan to help pay for a private sale vehicle as they’re only offered for dealership purchases.
- Rate reductions aren’t automatic. You’ll need to call in to request an interest rate reduction if you meet all of the eligibility criteria.
How do I apply?
It’s difficult to know how to apply for a CTL Car Loan since there’s no online application. That said, you should be able to get in touch with iA Financial Group to find out how you can apply for a loan directly. You may also be able to apply for financing with a dealership that works as a broker for CTL car loans.
What documents do I need to apply?
It’s not clear what documents you’ll need to apply. That said, it’s likely you’ll need to submit the following paperwork:
- Proof of ID. You’ll need to submit a government-issued form of ID as well as your Social Insurance Number.
- Proof of income. You could be required to submit supporting documents such as pay stubs, income tax assessments and letters of employment to prove your income.
- Credit report. You’ll have to allow CTL car loans to pull your credit report so that it can assess your creditworthiness.
- Other financial information. You may need to provide a list of your debts and assets, along with other evidence that you can afford your monthly payments.
How can I qualify for rate reductions?
You’ll be able to qualify for rate reductions 12 months or more into the term of your loan if you meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You’ve made all of your payments on time and none of them has been returned for any reason
- Your vehicle hasn’t been in any accidents
- All of the requirements for your loan agreement have been met
Just keep in mind that rate reductions aren’t applied to your account automatically. To get your rates reduced, you’ll need to email or call iA Financial Group on or after the anniversary date of signing up for your CTL Car Loan to make the request each year.
Compare car loan options from other lenders
I got the loan. Now what?
Once you have your loan, you’ll need to start making payments on a set schedule. The time you take to repay your loan will be based on how long your term is and how often you make payments. Any payments you make will be automatically debited from your bank account on a specific day of the month.
Once 12 months have passed, you can apply for an interest rate reduction on your loan provided that you’ve made all of your payments on time. You’ll just need to call in to CTL car loans to request this service.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Scotiabank Scotia U.S. Dollar Daily Interest Account review
Earn interest when you deposit your savings in US dollars with this cross-border account.
Brim World Mastercard review
Enjoy comprehensive travel and mobile phone insurance, and earn more rewards when you shop for deals in the Brim Marketplace.
Brim World Elite Mastercard review
Enjoy multiple forms of insurance and a top return on points with this premium credit card.
TD Aeroplan Visa Business Card Review
Earn Aeroplan points for business purchases and enjoy a suite of travel benefits with this premium travel card.
CIBC Smart Account review
Users who bank with CIBC gain access to an array of perks with this flexible chequing account.
CIBC Smart for Students Account review
Students who only require a basic chequing account will benefit from the CIBC Smart for Students Account.
Scotiabank Money Master Savings Account Review
Earn interest on your savings and get free Scotiabank transfers when you sign up for this fee-free account.
BMO eclipse Visa Infinite review
Want a credit card that works for you? Earn more rewards for everyday purchases and enjoy a wealth of benefits when you sign up with BMO.
BMO eclipse Visa Infinite Privilege review
Enjoy plenty of unique benefits and earn five times the points when you spend money on daily essentials with this card.
American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card review
Earn Aeroplan points when you spend money on your business with this premium credit card.