CIBC Investor’s Edge Review
Backed by one of the Big Banks, this online platform offers low fees and access to loads of Canadian and US investments.
Finder Rating: 4 / 5
CIBC Investor’s Edge is an online brokerage that offers affordable trades, access to many different securities, an easy signup process, lots of learning materials and preferred pricing for students, young investors and active traders.
Learn about the platform’s fees, features, benefits and drawbacks in our CIBC Investor’s Edge review.
- Think about CIBC Investor’s Edge if you want a low-fees option from a major Canadian bank, especially if you’re an active traders, young investor or student.
- Choose something else if you don’t meet the minimum account balance, as you’ll have to pay an annual fee which varies depending on the type of account you have.
Who is CIBC Investor’s Edge good for?
CIBC Investor’s Edge is a good option for those who want to manage investments with a major Canadian bank. The platform is suitable for both new and experienced investors who want low trading commissions and the ability to build their portfolios with a wide range of assets.
While CIBC Investor’s Edge is not the cheapest or the most sophisticated, it’s a great fit for existing CIBC banking customers, since they can easily fund a trading account through their banking platform. Additionally, active traders, young investors and students get discounted fees on certain types of trades.
What features does CIBC Investor’s Edge offer?
- Fractional shares: Investor’s Edge provides access to fractional shares through Canadian Depositary Shares (CDS), which are foreign stocks traded on Canadian stock exchanges in CAD. CIBC’s CDRs cost around $20 per share, letting you invest in large publicly traded companies at a much lower cost than if you bought entire shares in those companies.
- Student pricing. Young investors between the ages of 18 and 24 can trade stocks and ETFs for $0.
- Minimum balance waived. Active traders (who make 150+ trades per quarter), students and young investors get preferred pricing (see below), including the waiving of the minimum balance requirement.
- Same-day deposits for CIBC customers. Transferring money from a linked CIBC bank account (rather than an external bank account) allows your funds to be ready to trade that day.
How easy is it to use CIBC Investor’s Edge?
Stock trading with CIBC is easy for beginner and experienced investors alike with the platform’s user-friendly interface. CIBC Investor’s Edge offers many research and learning tools to give you the insight you need to make informed investment decisions.
You can sign up for an account in just minutes at no cost. The process is fairly straightforward. You’ll just need to prove your identity and upload money into your trading account to get started.
Investor’s Edge App
You can access your CIBC Investor’s Edge account anytime, anywhere with the CIBC Mobile Wealth app, available on Google Play and the Apple App Store. The app can also be used to access other CIBC accounts including CIBC Imperial Investor Service, CIBC Wood Gundy and CIBC Private Investment Counsel.
- Make trades. Buy and sell stocks, options and ETFs. Place orders for bonds, GICs and mutual funds.
- Check out IPOs and newly issued stocks. Stay on top of the latest investment opportunities by tracking companies’ initial public offerings and newly-listed securities.
- Access customizable charts. Get investment information on-the-go with CIBC’s research tools and customizable charts. Plus, create your own investment plan.
|Google Play Store||3.1 out of 5 — based on 4,308 customer ratings|
|Apple App Store||3.5 out of 5 — based on 4,668 customer ratings|
CIBC Investor’s Edge Fees
|Investor||Conditions||Stocks/ETFs||Options||Mutual funds||Annual account fee|
|Regular||Investors other than those listed below||$6.95||$6.95 + $1.25 per contract||$6.95|
|Active trader||Make 150+ trades per quarter||$4.95||$4.95 + $1.25 per contract||$6.95|
|Young investor||Aged 18-24 + CIBC Smart Account + CIBC Smart Start||$0||$6.95 + $1.25 per contract||$6.95||$0 for all registered and non-registered accounts|
|Student||Over 25 years old + CIBC Smart Account for students||$5.95||$5.95 + $1.25 per contract||$6.95||$0 for all registered and non-registered accounts|
*Annual account fee is waived if you have more than $25,000 in a registered account or $10,000 in a non-registered account.
Investor’s Edge student pricing
Are you a student? CIBC offers special discounts on trading fees if you open a CIBC Smart Account and Investor’s Edge account. Young investors between the ages of 18 and 24 can trade stocks and ETFs for $0. Students over 25 years old can trade stocks and ETFs for $5.95 as well as options for $5.95 + $1.25 per contract.
What research tools does CIBC Investor’s Edge offer?
CIBC Investor’s Edge comes with a number of features to help you manage your investment portfolio:
- Research and insight. Access CIBC’s library of research compiled by industry experts.
- Real-time market data. Make more informed decisions about when to buy and sell your investments with real-time market data.
- Watch lists. Set up watch lists to monitor your stocks and get real-time quotes for the investments you’re interested in.
- Charting tools. Chart out and identify trends to analyze stock performance with customizable charts.
Pros and cons
- Many account types. You’ll be able to put your money into non-registered and registered accounts like TFSAs, RRSPs, RESPs, LIRAs and more.
- Access to many securities. There are a number of investment types you can choose from including stocks, bonds, options, GICs, mutual funds and precious metals certificates.
- Wealth of research tools. You’ll be able to use a wide variety of research tools to inform your investment decisions.
- Easy for existing CIBC customers. If you already have a CIBC account, you can easily transfer funds to and from your Investor’s Edge account for free. Young investors and students with CIBC accounts get lower fees.
- Special pricing. Active traders, young investors and students get discounted trades. Plus, there are no annual account fees for TFSAs and RESPs.
- Annual fee. You’ll have to pay an annual fee of $100 for certain accounts if you don’t have the minimum balance in your account.
- Limited options to fund your account. You’ll only be able to fund your account by transferring cash from your CIBC account (or an outside financial institution by calling customer service).
- Cannot easily trade securities outside Canada and the US. You have to phone CIBC directly to trade on markets outside Canada and the US.
- Not the cheapest brokerage. While CIBC Investor’s Edge offers low fees compared to the other Big Banks, it may be possible to get lower fees with discount brokerages like Wealthsimple.
Is CIBC Investor’s Edge safe?
Owned and operated by one the Big 5 Banks in Canada, CIBC Investor’s Edge is a division of CIBC Investor Services Inc.—a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC)—and the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF).
How does Investor’s Edge keep my money safe?
CIBC Investor’s Edge has a number of physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in place to protect account holders’ money and personal information.
This includes using industry-standard encryption on browsers supported by CIBC, using blockchain technology (through a third-party service named Verified.Me) to verify users’ identities, automatically ending sessions when users are inactive and regularly monitoring account activity.
The CIBC Digital Banking Guarantee states that you’ll be fully reimbursed for funds lost from fraudulent activity on your CIBC account(s), provided you’ve met all your responsibilities.
How do I sign up?
If you’re ready to start investing with CIBC Investor’s Edge, follow the steps below:
- Click the green button below to be securely redirected to the CIBC Investor’s Edge website.
- Use the online application to provide information like your name, contact information, birthdate, Social Insurance Number (SIN), financial details (such as your assets and liabilities) and the type of account you want to open. You’ll also be asked to create a username and password for your account.
- Review and submit your application. Wait for CIBC to review it. Note that this may take some time if CIBC is handling a large number of applications.
- Get verified, and load funds into your account to start trading once your application has been approved.
How do I contact CIBC Investor’s Edge support?
You can contact CIBC Investor’s Edge by phone or email. You can also visit a CIBC branch to speak to an agent in person if you want more information about your account or need to verify your identity.
Bottom line: Our CIBC Investor’s Edge review
CIBC Investor’s Edge is a low-fee trading platform that offers an easy and secure way to manage your self-directed investment portfolio.
- Use Investor’s Edge if you want to invest with a large, established financial platform that charges low fees.
- Offers access to many different securities, no minimum balance and discounts for active traders, young investors and students.
- Go with a different platform if you want zero account fees and commissions from your trading platform.
Disclaimer: This information should not be interpreted as an endorsement of futures, stocks, ETFs, options or any specific provider, service or offering. It should not be relied upon as investment advice or construed as providing recommendations of any kind. Futures, stocks, ETFs and options trading involves substantial risk of loss and therefore are not appropriate for all investors. Trading forex on leverage comes with a higher risk of losing money rapidly. Past performance is not an indication of future results. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before making any trades.
More on investing
A simple guide to buying stocks in your favourite European soccer team.Read more…
Rethink how you grow your money with these green investment strategies and key green stocks.Read more…
Using our proprietary algorithm, we searched the TSX, NYSE and Nasdaq to find the 10 best penny stocks to buy now.Read more…