CIBC Investor’s Edge Review
Pay low fees when you buy and sell a number of investment products using CIBC’s reputable online trading platform.
You can sign up for an account in a matter of minutes by filling out a simple online form.
CIBC Investor’s Edge is an online brokerage that lets you carry out affordable trades through its online trading platform. This platform is user-friendly and provides a number of learning resources to help you get acquainted with the application. It also gives you access to plenty of research tools to help you make informed decisions about your investments.
You can sign up for an account quickly and easily by applying online or visiting a CIBC branch. Once you’re approved, you’ll be able to load funds into your account and start trading.
- Think about this trading platform if you want to manage your own investments on a simplified online platform, and you’d prefer to pay some of the lowest fees on offer from a major Canadian bank.
- Choose something else if you’re not comfortable with working online or you want your portfolio to be managed directly by a dedicated advisor.
What investments does CIBC Investor’s Edge offer?
CIBC Investor’s Edge offers a number of different investment options for self-directed investors. These include the following:
- Equities. You’ll be able to purchase stocks in a company that you may then have the potential to earn shares of profit on.
- Exchange traded funds. ETFs are similar to mutual funds, except they’re traded like stocks on an exchange and usually come with lower fees.
- Mutual funds. Mutual funds allow you to pool your funds with other investors to purchase financial products that are professionally managed in a joint portfolio.
- Options. Options are a type of financial contract that let you profit from speculating about the fluctuating price of an entity or asset on the stock market.
- Bonds. Bonds let you lend money out to governments or corporations so that you can collect a set rate of interest on your loan.
- GICs. Guaranteed investment certificates are a secure investment that let you earn interest while protecting your principal investment.
- Precious metals certificates. Precious metals like gold and silver let you diversify your portfolio and maintain some of your assets in potentially less volatile markets.
Who is CIBC Investor’s Edge best for?
CIBC Investor’s Edge is best for new and experienced investors who want to take advantage of low trading commissions with a Big Five Canadian bank. It’s also an exceptionally good fit for existing CIBC customers (since they can easily fund their trading accounts) and students (since they get special pricing for making trades if they have a CIBC Student Bank account).
How easy is CIBC Investor’s Edge to use?
CIBC Investor’s Edge is a user-friendly platform designed for beginner and experienced investors alike. It offers a wealth of research and learning tools to give you the insight you need to be able to successfully navigate the online platform and make educated trade decisions.
It’s easy to sign up for an account in a matter of minutes. You’ll just need to prove your identity and upload money into your trading account to get started.
What research does Investor’s Edge provide?
CIBC Investor’s Edge offers a number of research options to help you direct your investments:
- Research and insights. Access CIBC’s library of research compiled by industry experts.
- Real-time market data. Make more informed decisions about when to buy and sell your investments with real-time market data.
- Watch lists. Set up watch lists to monitor your stocks and get real-time quotes for the investments you’re interested in.
- Charting tools. Chart out and identify trends to analyze stock performance with customizable charts.
Pricing and fees
There are a number of different fees you’ll pay based on what type of investments you want to trade. These include the following:
Type of investment
Price for trade
Equities and ETFs
Between $4.95 and $6.95 (or $5.95 for students)
Between $4.95 and $6.95 (+$1.25 per contract)
Is CIBC Investor’s Edge safe?
CIBC Investor’s Edge is a safe option since it’s owned and operated by one of the Big Five Canadian banks. CIBC Investor’s Edge is a division of CIBC Investor Services Inc which is also a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) as well as the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF).
How does CIBC Investor’s Edge keep my money safe?
CIBC Investor’s Edge maintains a number of physical, electronic and procedural safeguards designed to protect your account and personal information. This means that you don’t need to worry about your personal information or investment history falling into the wrong hands.
Pros and cons
- Easy application. You can sign up for an account in a matter of minutes by filling out a simple online form.
- Several account types. You’ll be able to put your money into registered and non-registered accounts, depending on your preferences.
- Many investment types. There are a number of investment types you can choose from including stocks, bonds, options and precious metals certificates.
- Wealth of research tools. You’ll be able to use a wide variety of research tools to inform your investment decisions.
- Mobile app. CIBC offers a handy mobile trading app that will let you manage your account on the go.
- Accessible customer service. You can access CIBC’s customer service department online, over the phone or by visiting a branch.
- No annual account fees for TFSAs or RESPs.
- Annual fee. You’ll have to pay $100 per year to maintain your RRSP if the market balance is less than $25,000. If you have a non-registered account, you are charged the annual fee if the market value of the account is less than $10,000 (but this is automatically waived if you have an RRSP with CIBC Investor’s Edge).
- Limited options to fund your account. You’ll only be able to fund your account by transferring cash from your CIBC account (or an outside financial institution by calling customer service).
- Some technological expertise is required. Your account is managed entirely by you through the online trading platform, so you’ll need to be comfortable with technology to use the application.
- Less dedicated financial support. Like all self-directed trading platforms, you won’t have an advisor assigned to your account as you make all your own decisions.
How do I sign up?
If you think you meet all the eligibility criteria and you’re ready to start investing with CIBC Investor’s Edge, you just need to follow the steps below:
- Click the green ‘Go to site’ button above to be securely redirected to the CIBC Investor’s Edge website.
- Use the online application to provide personal information like your name, email address, proof of ID and relevant documents.
- Review and submit your application.
- Get verified and load funds into your account to start trading once your application has been approved.
How do I contact CIBC Investor’s Edge support?
You can contact CIBC Investor’s Edge by calling its customer service line at 1-800-567-3343 or send an email to CIBCInvestorServicesInc@cibc.com. You can also visit a branch to speak to an agent if you want more information about your account.
CIBC Investor’s Edge is a low-fee trading platform that offers an easy and secure way to manage your self-directed investment portfolio. It also offers a number of research tools to help you chart your progress and choose the right investments for your unique set of needs and budget. Additionally, it also offers a knowledge hub called ‘Learn’ that provides host of articles on investing, stock strategies, markets and trends, personal finance plus tools and guides offered by CIBC Investor’s Edge.
Find out more about how this platform works and sign up for an account today to start investing.