Your guide to the American Express “refer a friend” program
Earn bonus points or cash back every time you refer a friend and they're approved.
Who can I refer to the program?
You are free to refer friends, family and acquaintances with your provided Amex referral links. Amex requests that these links only be used for individuals you know.
A word of caution, Amex makes it clear that the link they send you isn’t meant to spam anyone. In their fine print they say, “If this is a personal or family referral, you agree to only make recommendations to known friends and family members with whom you have a relationship and who have confirmed to you that they want to receive this communication. …You must not send recommendations to people you do not know.” Ignoring this gives Amex the right to can cancel your card.
How many bonus points can I earn?
This depends on the card that you refer to. Below are some examples:
- American Express Cobalt Card.Refer a friend and earn a bonus of 5,000 Membership Rewards points for every approved referral (up to a maximum annual earn of 75,000 Membership Rewards points).
- SimplyCash Preferred Card from American Express.Refer a friend and earn a bonus of $100 cash back for each approved referral (up to a maximum bonus of $1,500 cash back per year).
- American Express AIR MILES Platinum Credit Card.Refer a friend and earn a referral bonus of 300 AIR MILES for each approved referral (up to a maximum referral bonus of 4,500 AIR MILES per year).
- Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card.Refer a friend, and you could earn a referral bonus of 10,000 points (subject to application approval).
How can I refer a friend?
To earn rewards for referring friends and family to American Express, you need to follow the steps outlined below.
- Log in to your American Express Refer a Friend account.
- Select the card you want to refer to.
- Click Refer now.
- Enter the email of the person you want to refer a card to or get a personalized link and share it.
Compare credit cards for the Amex “refer a friend” program
What to watch out for
- No spam.
American Express has strong anti-spam sentiments and states that you can only send referral messages to close friends and family who have already consented to receive this information. You should not market this offer via paid advertising or public forums.
- Points cap.
Depending on the card, you can earn a certain maximum of points through this program each year.
- Contingent on approval.
The bonus rewards points are subject to your friend’s application being approved, and to any other specific conditions for the specific referral offer you use. Due to privacy, you won’t be notified either way if your friend or family member gets approved.
- Not using the referral link.
The only way you can earn the bonus is if the person you sent to referral link to uses it and applies for the card.
- You have not paid your balance when due.
Having unpaid balances may prevent you from receiving the bonus points.
With these tips in mind, you’re all set to begin referring friends or family members who are interested in getting an American Express card. Just remember, the bonus points you can earn are subject to your friend’s application approval and offers are only available for a limited time. Make sure you check for updates and follow the steps above when you find an offer that works for you and your friend.
If you’re looking for more, compare prestige, perks and points for American Express credit cards.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.