Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
American Express car rental insurance: How does it work?
Get up to $85,000 in coverage.
Amex is a strong choice for car rental insurance since almost all of its cards come with the feature. This is a refreshing contrast to many other providers that offer the benefit only with select credit cards — or none at all.
Does American Express have car rental insurance?
American Express offers car rental theft and damage insurance with most of its available credit cards in Canada.
You’ll typically find $85,000 in maximum coverage toward the value of the rental vehicle.
It also covers some additional charges, including loss of use and appraisal fees. Policies from some other providers don’t cover loss of use, so it’s a nice inclusion with Amex’s policy.
How long does Amex car rental insurance cover me for?
Amex car rental insurance covers you for 48 days or less after you enter into a rental agreement.
What does Amex car rental insurance not cover?
There are several instances in which Amex car rental insurance might not apply. These include, but aren’t limited to:
- Using the rental car in violation of the rental agreement.
- Engaging in illegal activity and driving while intoxicated.
- Driving certain types of vehicles, such as cargo vans, leased vehicles and limousines.
- Intentional damage to the car, manufacturing defects, theft or damage as a result of your failure to secure the vehicle and more.
Is Amex car rental insurance primary or secondary?
Amex car rental insurance is secondary, which means you must make a claim with other sources of insurance available before claiming with Amex.
How to use American Express car rental insurance
- Before renting a vehicle, read your American Express car rental theft and damage insurance plan.
- Pay for your entire rental with a valid Amex payment method and decline the coverage from the car rental agency.
- In the event of a theft, accident or act of vandalism, immediately notify law enforcement of the incident.
- Call the Amex benefit administrator at 1-800-200-8959.
- If necessary, fill out and return the claim form, along with the requested supporting information, within 60 days. Required details may include — but aren’t limited to — an itemized repair bill, photos of vehicle damage, proof of your personal insurance and proof you paid for your rental with an eligible Amex payment method.
How long will it take to receive payment?
If the Amex benefit administrator approves your claim, you’ll receive payment within 90 days after you submit the required information.
Compare American Express credit cards
Not every Amex card comes with car rental insurance. Contact American Express to verify that this perk comes with your card.
Who gets to use American Express car rental insurance?
You’re eligible for American Express car rental insurance if you:
- Are the primary cardholder or authorized user.
- Signed the car rental agreement.
- Have a permanent residence in Canada.
- You’ve activated your car rental theft and damage insurance.
How to activate Amex Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance
Here’s how activated coverage is defined:
- You decline the coverage from the rental car company or purchase a partial collision damage waiver.
- You or an authorized driver is on the rental agreement, and the vehicle comes into your possession.
- You pay for the entire rental with your Amex card. This includes any deposits you must make when you collect the vehicle.
Amex is an excellent choice for car rental insurance, as most of its currently available cards offer the benefit. Before renting a car and relying on Amex insurance, check the car rental theft and damage insurance policy for any specific exclusions.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Jeeves credit card review
Earn up to 4% cashback, pay no foreign transaction fees and get online rebates with this multi-currency business card.
Best place to buy used cars in Toronto
Compare the best places to find used cars in Toronto and explore financing options to get the car you want.
Best place to buy used cars in Calgary
Discover the best place buy used cars in Calgary and compare financing options to get started.
HSBC Travel Rewards Mastercard Review
Get a decent array of travel insurance and earn accelerated rewards for travel purchases with this fee-free credit card.
HSBC Cash Rewards Mastercard review
Get a generous welcome bonus and earn accelerated cashback when you shop online with this fee-free credit card.
Walmart Rewards World Mastercard Review
Earn Walmart Rewards Dollars and get a decent welcome bonus when you sign up for this fee-free card.
How to buy a used car in BC
Learn about the steps to buy a used car in BC, including taxes you’ll need to pay and documents you’ll need to provide.
How to buy a used car in Alberta
Get information on province-specific rules and requirements when buying a used car in Alberta.
BMO AIR MILES World Elite Business Mastercard review
Sign up for this premium business card to earn AIR MILES and get access to travel insurance and virtual health care.
Walnut Life Insurance review
Sign up for term life insurance and get access to a number of popular lifestyle apps as part of your coverage.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.