If you’re wondering whether you’re getting a decent exchange rate, the best place to start is with the mid-market rate. This is the rate that the banks trade at, and it’s the mid-point between the buy and sell rates on the global market.
You can calculate the difference between this rate and any exchange rate on offer to figure out how much your bank or money transfer company stands to profit off your transaction.1
TD Bank exchange rates
Current foreign exchange rates on offer from TD Bank for international money transfers.
Exchange rates can make or break the bank when it comes to money transfers. Compared to specialist money transfer services, TD Bank offers less competitive exchange rates and charges high fees to send international wire transfers.
If you’re already banking with TD, it might seem convenient to use their services to send money overseas but be sure to compare their rates against some alternatives to find the best deal.
What are TD’s foreign exchange rates?
TD updates their rates daily, with a sample shown below. If you have any questions about this table, feel free to drop us a line in the comment section below.
These rates were last checked on 16 March 2019.
|Code||Currency||Client buys at: (Pays Canadian $)||Client sells at: (Receives Canadian $)|
|XCD||East Caribbean Dollar||0.5160||0.4671|
|HKD||Hong Kong Dollar||0.1748||0.1646|
|NZD||New Zeland Dollar||0.9467||0.8758|
|SAR||Saudi Arabian Riyal||0.3712||0.3392|
|ZAR||South African Rand||0.0975||0.0861|
|USB||US Borderless Plan||1.3606||1.3020|
Sending money with TD: What to know
What we like
- Convenient. You won’t have to set up an additional account to transfer money – you can simply visit your nearest branch.
- Secure. You have to visit a branch to send wire transfers with TD, which means it’s unlikely you’ll fall victim to fraud.
What to watch out for
- Poor exchange rates. TD adds a larger margin to the exchange rate than specialist money transfer services.
- High fees. The fee for sending money overseas is higher than the average fee charged by other Canadian banks.
- Additional charges. There might be extra charges added by your recipient’s bank or any intermediary banks who handle the transaction along the way.
How do TD’s exchange rates compare?
TD has poor exchange rates in comparison to specialist money transfer services. If you want to save money on your next transfer, make sure to compare TD’s rates with the providers listed below to lock in the best deal.
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.