Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to sell a car in Alberta
Learn how to sell a car in Alberta, including required documents and tips to get the best deal.
The process for how to sell a car in Alberta will vary based on whether you’re selling privately or through a dealer. Find out more about the steps you’ll need to take to sell a car in Alberta with each type of buyer. Learn what documents you’ll need to make the sale and how to get the best deal.
Summary of documents you’ll need to sell a car in Alberta
Whether you’re selling your car privately or to a dealership, here are the documents you’ll need to provide.
Legally required documents
|Document||What it is||Where to get it||How much it costs|
|Bill of sale||A document that lists buyer and seller information, car details and conditions of sale||Download a copy from the government site||$0|
|Original vehicle registration||A document you keep in your car that shows you own the vehicle.||Usually stored in your glovebox. Rip off section 2 and give it to the buyer||$0|
|A document such as your driver’s licence or passport||From a licensing agency or passport office||Free if you already have ID, otherwise varies|
Other documents you need for a faster, easier sale
|Document||What it is||Where to get it||How much it costs|
|CARFAX report||A report that shows whether your car has been involved in any accidents or thefts||CARFAX website||Between $44 and $61|
|Inspection report||A report from a licensed mechanic that testifies that your car is in good working order and meets Alberta’s safety standards.||With a local mechanic||Around $200|
|Maintenance records||Routine maintenance receipts for oil changes, air filters and other repairs to show you’ve taken care of your car.||Local mechanic or maintenance shop||Varies by service, keep receipts for any maintenance|
Sell your car in Alberta
Before you sell a car in Alberta
Follow these tips to prepare to sell a car in Alberta:
- Clean your car. Clean your car inside and out, including the tires, engine and upholstery, to make sure it’s ready for a quick sale.
- Compile relevant information. Have information such as odometer readings, VIN, make/model, year and vehicle specifications ready to input.
- Take high-quality photos. Take high-resolution photos of your car in good lighting and in a nice setting.
- Prepare your documents. Gather documents you may need to complete the sale such as registration, bill of sale, CARFAX report and maintenance records.
- Figure out your car’s value. Search your car on sites like Kelley Blue Book, Edmunds, Consumer Reports or AutoTrader to learn more about how much your car is worth.
- Research the platforms you want to use. Decide which platforms you want to use to list your vehicle, and post ads or request quotes as needed.
- Remove licence plates and insurance. Remove your licence plates and end your insurance policy when you’re ready to stop driving the car.
How to sell a car privately in Alberta
You can sell a car privately in Alberta through sites such as Craigslist, Kijiji, Facebook Marketplace, Used.ca or AutoTrader. Follow these steps to get started:
- Write a compelling ad. Upload photos and write a compelling ad to sell your car.
- Post your listing. List your car with an online marketplace or crosspost across several sites to make sure you’re reaching the largest audience.
- Arrange a viewing and test drive. Most people will want to look at and test drive the car to make sure it works properly. Be sure to take a photo of their licence and get them to leave collateral if they test drive the car alone.
- Collect payment. If the buyer is interested in your car, ask for payment in cash or through an e-Transfer, bank draft or certified cheque (avoid personal cheques). Make sure the payment clears before you hand over your keys and documents.
- Provide transfer documents. Provide the buyer with a signed copy of section 2 of your registration and the bill of sale so that they can transfer the registration over. Make sure to keep copies for your own records.
- Accompany the buyer for registration. The buyer can go alone or you can choose to accompany them to a registry office to make sure the transfer process goes smoothly. Remember to remove your licence plates before they drive away.
How to sell a car to a dealership in Alberta
You can easily sell a car to a dealership in Alberta by following these steps:
- Bring your car in (local dealer). Bring your car into a local dealership or visit several to get your car appraised in person. The dealer can then make you an offer for your car, which you can compare against what you believe your car is worth.
- Request a quote (online dealer). Visit online dealer websites such as Clutch and Canada Drives to request a quote. You’ll usually have to get an inspection before the sale is finalized (online dealers will come to your home to do this).
- Provide proof of ownership. Provide the dealer with a signed copy of section 2 of your registration and the bill of sale so that they can transfer the registration over. Make sure to keep copies for your own records.
- Organize pick up or delivery. Drop your car off in person with a local dealer and finalize your contract and payment at their location. Most online car dealers will organize to pick up your car at home and you’ll organize contract details online.
- Collect payment. In-person dealers usually pay in cash or with an e-Transfer when you drop your car off. Online dealers tend to pay with e-Transfers around the same time they come to pick up the car.
Checklist: How to sell a car in Alberta
|How to sell a car privately in Alberta||How to sell a car to an Alberta dealership|
- The process for how to sell a car in Alberta is fairly simple and should only take a few days from start to finish.
- You’ll have to follow different steps for how to sell a car privately in Alberta vs how to sell a car with a dealership.
- The only documents you need to sell a car in Alberta are a signed copy of section 2 of your registration and a completed bill of sale.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
7 popular places to sell a car in Edmonton
Read our guide to the best places to sell your used car in Edmonton.
7 popular places to sell a car in Calgary, Alberta
Check out these seven popular options when you need to sell a used car in Calgary.
7 popular places to sell a car in Vancouver
Learn about how and where to sell a car online in Vancouver.
9 popular places to sell a car in Toronto
Compare popular places to sell a car if you live in the Greater Toronto Area.
Autozen review: Bidding site to sell your car online
Sell your car with Autozen, an online bidding site with over 150 pre-qualified buyers.
How to sell your car online
Follow this step-by-step guide on how to sell your car online in Canada.
How to sell a car in BC
Find out how to sell your car in BC privately or to a dealer.
Carity review: Online car-selling platform
Save money and time when you sell your car to a local dealer in Ontario with this hassle-free car-selling platform.
How to sell a used car in Ontario
Find out how to sell a car in Ontario regardless of whether you’re selling to a private buyer or a dealership.