Qtrade Investor review
Enjoy low prices and take advantage of a wide variety of research tools with this integrated online trading platform.
It’s easy to sign up for an account in a matter of minutes using Qtrade’s online application.
Qtrade Investor is a well-known investment broker that offers an easy-to-use online and mobile trading platform. This platform offers low commissions and a nice mix of independent research tools designed to help you make more-informed decisions about your investments.
You can sign up for an account with Qtrade Investor in a matter of minutes but it will usually take several days to get your account approved. Once you’re all set up, you’ll be able to log in to Qtrade Investor’s online platform to execute trades and manage your investments.
What investments does Qtrade Investor offer?
You can take out a number of investments with Qtrade Investor. These investments can be held in non-registered or registered accounts, depending on your preferences. Some of your investment options include the following:
- Equities. Buy shares in a public company and cash in on dividends when that company performs well.
- Options. Speculate on how well an entity or asset will perform on the market and profit from making accurate bids.
- Exchange traded funds. Get lower fees on pooled funds that can be traded on the stock market.
- Mutual funds. Buy into a set of stocks, bonds or other securities with other investors to get a more affordable price on the whole package.
- New issues. Invest in a company going public for the first time to save money on share prices if stocks go up.
- Bonds. Loan out your money to governments or corporations needing cash flow and collect a set interest rate for the term of your investment.
- GICS. Collect a set interest rate and get a guaranteed return on your principal investment with this short-term deposit.
Who is Qtrade Investor best for?
Qtrade Investor is a good fit for investors who want to manage their own investments using a reputable online trading platform. It’s well-suited for those who want to work with a company that offers top-rated customer service and a number of investment options.
You’ll be able to use this platform as a beginner since it offers a wealth of educational tools and online tutorials. You can also take advantage of this platform if you’re a more experienced investor, since it offers more technical investments like options and bonds.
How easy is Qtrade Investor to use?
Qtrade Investor is a simple platform that’s designed to be as user-friendly as possible. You can make trades with the click of a mouse and it’s easy to map out your trades over time with specialized tools. You can also use the wealth of research and educational tools that Qtrade Investor offers to inform your investment decisions.
Generally, opening an account takes 2 to 3 business days. However, during busier times of the year, you’ll need allow up to 5 to 7 business days. You can also use a trial account to try your hand at investing before you open an account.
What research does Qtrade Investor provide?
Qtrade Investor offers a number of research options that come built into its software:
- Market data. Make more-informed decisions about when to buy and sell your investments with real-time market data.
- Screening tools. Get objective research on your investments and identify new opportunities that match your trading style and risk profile.
- Watchlists. Create a portfolio of stocks that you’d like to keep an eye on for future reference.
- Morning news call. Scan all of the top trading news and insights to get up-to-the-minute information on the stock market.
Pricing and fees
You’ll pay a different amount for every trade you make depending on what type of investment you’re moving around and whether you have a Qtrade Investor or Qtrade Investor Plus account. Some examples of the fees you’ll pay by trade are listed below:
|Type of investment||Price for trade|
|Equities||Between $6.95 and $8.75|
|ETFs||Between $6.95 and $8.75 (or pick from 100 free ETFs)|
Between $6.95 and $8.75 (+$1.25 per contract)
$1 per $1,000 trade value ($24.99 min/$250 max)
Is Qtrade Investor safe?
Qtrade Investor has many of the safety mechanisms in place that a big bank might have. The company is a licensed dealer and a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC). It’s also a member of the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF).
How does Qtrade Investor keep my money safe?
Qtrade Investor has a number of physical and digital safeguards in place to protect your personal information. This means that you don’t need to worry about your data or investment history falling into the wrong hands.
Pros and cons
- Easy application. It’s easy to sign up for an account in a matter of minutes using Qtrade Investor’s online application.
- Many account types. Qtrade Investor offers every major account type, including RRSPs, TFSAs, RESPs, cash and margin accounts.
- Many investment types. There are a number of different types of investments you can buy and sell, based on your preferences.
- Top-rated customer service. Qtrade Investor has a top-rated customer service department that’s on hand to help you with anything you need.
- No minimum balance. There are no minimum balance requirements needed to start trading.
- Quarterly admin fee. You’ll pay a quarterly fee of $25 to keep your account active. However, Qtrade Investor will waive the fee if you hold $25,000; if you make a minimum number of commissionable trades; if you establish a recurring electronic funds contribution of $100 a month or more; or if you qualify for the Young Investor offer.
- Account closing fees. You may have to pay additional fees for transferring or closing out your account in your first year.
- Less dedicated financial support. Since this is a self-directed online platform, you’ll get less face-to-face time with an adviser.
- Limited financing options. You won’t be able to load up your account with a credit or debit card.
How do I sign up?
If you think you meet all the eligibility criteria and you’re ready to start investing with Qtrade Investor, you just need to follow the steps below:
- Click the green ‘Go to site’ button above to be securely redirected to the Qtrade Investor website.
- Use the online application to provide personal information like your name, email address, proof of ID and relevant documents.
- Review and submit your application.
- Get verified and load funds into your account to start trading.
How do I contact Qtrade Investor support?
You can contact Qtrade Investor by sending an email to email@example.com or by calling its customer service line at 877-787-2330.
Qtrade Investor is an easy-to-use trading platform that offers a wide variety of investment options for low prices. It also provides a number of educational and training tools to help you make the most of its software. Find out more about how this platform works and sign up for your account today to start investing.
Online brokerage services are offered through Qtrade Investor, a division of Credential Qtrade Securities Inc. Qtrade is a registered trademark owned by Aviso Wealth Inc.