Qtrade Direct Investing review
Enjoy low prices and take advantage of a wide variety of research tools with this online trading platform and its newly revamped app.Get almost $500 in commission free trades when you fund your new account with a minimum of $10,000. Conditions apply. Ends August 31, 2022.
Finder Rating: 4.1 / 5
Qtrade Direct Investing is a well-known investment broker that offers an easy-to-use online and mobile trading platform. This platform offers low commissions and a nice mix of independent research tools designed to help you make more-informed decisions about your investments. Get almost $500 in commission free trades when you fund your new account with a minimum of $10,000. Conditions apply. Ends August 31, 2022.
You can sign up for an account with Qtrade Direct Investing in a matter of minutes but it may take a few days to get your account approved. Once you’re all set up, you’ll be able to log in to Qtrade Direct Investing’s online platform to execute trades and manage your investments.
What investments does Qtrade offer?
You can take out a number of investments with Qtrade. These investments can be held in non-registered or registered accounts, depending on your preferences. Some of your investment options include the following:
- Equities. Buy shares in a public company and cash in on dividends when that company performs well.
- Options. Speculate on how well an entity or asset will perform on the market and profit from making accurate bids.
- Exchange traded funds. Get lower fees on pooled funds that can be traded on the stock market. In addition, buy and sell thematic, responsible investing and multi-asset ETFs.
- Mutual funds. Buy into a set of stocks, bonds or other securities with other investors to get a more affordable price on the whole package.
- New issues. Invest in a company going public for the first time to save money on share prices if stocks go up.
- Bonds. Loan out your money to governments or corporations needing cash flow and collect a set interest rate for the term of your investment.
- GICS. Collect a set interest rate and get a guaranteed return on your principal investment with this short-term deposit.
Who is Qtrade best for?
Qtrade is a good fit for investors who want to manage their own investments using a reputable online trading platform with transparent pricing. It’s well-suited for those who want to work with a company that offers top-rated customer service and a number of investment options.
You’ll be able to use this platform as a beginner since it offers a wealth of educational tools and online tutorials. You can also take advantage of this platform if you’re a more experienced investor, since it offers more technical investments like options and bonds. Plus, if you’re a highly active trader (150+ trades per quarter) or have a large portfolio ($500,000+) your commission fee drops from $8.75 to $6.95 per trade.
How easy is Qtrade to use?
Qtrade Direct Investing is a simple platform that’s designed to be as user-friendly as possible. You can make trades with the click of a mouse and it’s easy to map out your trades over time with specialized tools. You can also use the wealth of research and educational tools that Qtrade offers to inform your investment decisions.
Generally, opening an account takes 2 to 3 business days. However, during busier times of the year, you’ll need to allow up to 5 to 7 business days. You can also use a trial account to try your hand at investing before you open an account.
What research does Qtrade provide?
Qtrade offers a number of research options that come built into its software:
- Market data. Make more-informed decisions about when to buy and sell your investments with real-time market data.
- Screening tools. Get objective research on your investments and identify new opportunities that match your trading style and risk profile.
- Watchlists. Create a portfolio of stocks that you’d like to keep an eye on for future reference.
- Morning news call. Scan all of the top trading news and insights to get up-to-the-minute information on the stock market.
Pricing and fees
You’ll pay a different amount for every trade you make depending on what type of investment you’re moving around. Some examples of the fees you’ll pay by trade are listed below:
|Type of investment||Price for trade|
|Equities||Between $6.95 and $8.75|
|ETFs||Between $6.95 and $8.75 (or pick from 100+ free ETFs)|
Between $6.95 and $8.75 (+$1.25 per contract)
$1 per $1,000 trade value ($24.99 min/$250 max)
You’ll also pay a quarterly fee of $25 to keep your account active. However, Qtrade will waive the fee if: it’s less than one quarter since account opening, you have $25,000 or more in assets, completed 2 commissioned trades in the last quarter, completed 8 commissioned trades in the last 12 months, set up a $100/mo recurring deposit or you qualify for the Young Investor offer.
Is Qtrade safe?
Qtrade Direct Investing has many of the safety mechanisms in place that a big bank might have. The company is a licensed dealer and a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC). It’s also a member of the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF).
How does Qtrade keep my money safe?
Qtrade has a number of physical and digital safeguards in place to protect your personal information. This means that you don’t need to worry about your data or investment history falling into the wrong hands.
What research tools does Qtrade offer?
- Access to Morningstar and Desjardins research and reports
- Stock screening tools
- Portfolio score: a tool that gives your portfolio a score and feedback on how to improve it
- Portfolio simulator: a tool that allows you to see how your portfolio would be affected if you added and removed certain assets
- Interactive charting tools
Pros and cons
- Easy application. It’s easy to sign up for an account in a matter of minutes using Qtrade Direct Investing’s online application.
- Real-time account opening. Photo capture technology makes it easy and fast for investors to validate their identity and open accounts in real time.
- Many account types. Qtrade Direct Investing offers every major account type, including RRSPs, TFSAs, RESPs, cash and margin accounts.
- Many investment types. There are a number of different types of investments you can buy and sell, based on your preferences.
- Top-rated customer service. Qtrade has a top-rated customer service department that’s on hand to help you with anything you need.
- No minimum balance. There are no minimum balance requirements needed to start trading.
- Newly improved app. Access a newly enhanced trading app that is personalized, modern and easy to navigate.
- Bilingual web and mobile app. Access the desktop site and the mobile app in either English or French.
- Quarterly admin fee. You’ll pay a quarterly fee of $25 to keep your account active. However, Qtrade Direct Investing will waive the fee if you hold $25,000; if you make a minimum number of commissionable trades; if you establish a recurring electronic funds contribution of $100 a month or more; or if you qualify for the Young Investor offer.
- Account closing fees. You may have to pay additional fees for transferring or closing out your account in your first year.
- Less dedicated financial support. Since this is a self-directed online platform, you’ll get no face-to-face time with an adviser.
- Limited financing options. You won’t be able to load up your account with a credit or debit card.
How do I sign up?
If you think you meet all the eligibility criteria and you’re ready to start investing with Qtrade, you just need to follow the steps below:
- Click the green ‘Go to site’ button above to be securely redirected to the Qtrade Direct Investing website.
- Use the online application to provide personal information like your name, email address, proof of ID and relevant documents.
- Review and submit your application.
- Get verified and load funds into your account to start trading.
How do I contact Qtrade support?
You can contact Qtrade by sending an email to email@example.com or by calling its customer service line at 877-787-2330.
Qtrade Direct Investing is an easy-to-use trading platform that offers a wide variety of investment options for prices that are on-par with, and in some cases less than, the rest of the industry. It also provides a number of educational and training tools to help you make the most of its software. It offers more research tools than zero-commission platforms. Find out more about how this platform works and sign up for your account today to start investing.
Online brokerage services are offered through Qtrade Direct Investing, a division of Credential Qtrade Securities Inc. Qtrade, Qtrade Direct Investing, and Write Your Own future are trade names and/or trademarks of Aviso Wealth Inc.
Frequently asked questions
Disclaimer: This information should not be interpreted as an endorsement of futures, stocks, ETFs, options or any specific provider, service or offering. It should not be relied upon as investment advice or construed as providing recommendations of any kind. Futures, stocks, ETFs and options trading involves substantial risk of loss and therefore are not appropriate for all investors. Trading forex on leverage comes with a higher risk of losing money rapidly. Past performance is not an indication of future results. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before making any trades.