Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
What’s the Koho Metal Card and how can I get one?
Want to add some weight to your wallet? Open an account with Koho and pay a one-time fee for a metal card.
Koho is an innovative online banking platform designed to help you save and spend in style. It’s also the only online banking service offering a one-of-a-kind metal card to its customers. The Koho Metal Card is an optional add-on to your account, and comes in the form of a pink and gold plated prepaid Visa. You can also choose to get a regular plastic card if you don’t want to pay the additional fee for the metal version.
Find out more about how these cards work and how you can get your hands on one before they run out of stock.
- Get this card if you want to add some weight to your wallet and you’re interested in a prepaid Visa that’s funded by your bank balance.
- Choose something else if you need access to “credit” or you don’t want to pay a high fee for your credit card.
- You won’t need to carry a minimum balance or earn a minimum income to qualify for the Koho Metal Card.
Compare metal KOHO cards
What is Koho?
Koho is an online banking platform that offers basic, premium and joint cheque accounts to customers. All of these accounts qualify for the Koho Metal Card, which functions as a prepaid Visa that’s funded from your Koho account.
- Basic accounts. You won’t pay account fees for basic accounts, and you’ll earn at least 0.5% cash back rewards with every purchase, but you could earn up to 5% cash back with select merchants You can also choose to round up every dollar you spend and funnel the difference into savings.
- Premium accounts. With a premium account, you can pay an annual fee of $84 (or $9 per month) to get additional features. This includes a 2% cash back on transportation, groceries, and restaurants You’ll also get no foreign transaction fees and other extras like price matching and financial coaching.
- Joint accounts. Joint accounts function like basic accounts except that you’ll typically open them with your partner. These let you easily share finances and savings goals, and you’ll receive instant notifications whenever anyone spends money on your account.
- Koho Save. Koho Save is an add-on feature that lets you turn any of the above accounts into savings accounts. Once you sign up for Koho Save, all the money in your Koho account will convert to earning interest and you can still spend from it to make your purchases.
How does the Koho Metal Card work?
The Koho Metal Card is an optional prepaid Visa card that’s tied to your Koho bank account. This card is made of metal and functions as a hybrid between a debit and credit card. This is because it doesn’t let you carry an outstanding balance (so you can only spend money that you actually have in your account), but it still gives you the chance to earn cash back when you make purchases.
Koho’s current metal card is a pink and gold plated design that’s called “Gilded Cotton Candy”. You can get this card for a one-time fee of $159, which is around how much you’d have to pay for bank account fees in a year. You can also reduce that payment to $50 if you successfully refer 2 friends to Koho.
How can I order the Koho Metal Card?
All Koho accounts come with the option of adding a metal card for $159. You’ll be able to order a metal card for your account through the Koho app. All you’ll need to do is sign into the app, and click on the picture that says “Order your Metal Card for $159”. You’ll also need to make sure that you have at least $159 loaded into your Koho account to cover the cost of your new card.
If you need to replace your Koho Metal Card for any reason, you can also purchase a new one for $100. All you need to do is reach out to the Koho customer support team through the in-app chat function. You should also be aware that your card will expire every 4 years, so you’ll have to pay the $100 for a new card at this point as well.
What makes the Koho Metal Card unique?
The biggest reason why the Koho Metal Card is unique is because it doesn’t require you to meet strict eligibility requirements for card ownership. Unlike many other metal cards, you won’t need to have hundreds of thousands of dollars in savings to qualify. You also won’t be subject to privileged “invite-only” criteria if you want to get your hands on this card.
The card itself only costs $159 and you won’t need to meet any minimum balance or income requirements to qualify. You’ll just need to download the Koho app, where you can easily purchase the Koho Metal Card by following the in-app instructions. Your card will then be personalized and sent out to you by express shipping, as long as supplies last.
What are the benefits of the Koho Metal Card?
Fashionable design. These cards are plated in pink and gold, and are modelled after the most popular plastic card design that Koho offers.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to maintain this card, though you will pay a one-time activation fee (and a renewal fee every four years).
- Easy to qualify. Unlike other metal cards, you won’t have to meet any minimum balance or minimum income requirements to qualify.
- Easy to purchase. You can purchase your metal card quickly and easily by clicking on the Koho Metal Card picture in the Koho app.
- Linked to any account. You’ll be able to use your Koho Metal Card with any of the accounts that Koho offers.
- Lets you earn cashback. You’ll get all of the same account features as you would with a plastic card, including a cashback return for every dollar you spend.
- Discounts for friend referrals. You can also reduce that payment to $50 if you successfully refer 2 friends to Koho (instead of $159)
- KOHO Early Payroll feature. Get instant access to no fee, no interest $100 paycheque advance with no impact on credit scores by setting up direct deposit to your KOHO account from your employer.
What to watch out for
- High initial fee. You’ll have to pay $159 out-of-pocket for the Koho Metal Card, though this cost is offset by the fact that there are no account fees for basic accounts.
- Heavy card. This card weighs 16 grams, so you might find it heavy or uncomfortable to carry around in your back pocket.
- No refunds for purchase. Once you purchase this card in the Koho app, you won’t be able to get a refund.
- Fee to replace card. You’ll have to pay $100 to get a new card if your Koho Metal Card gets lost or stolen.
- Expires every four years. You’ll be required to pay an additional $100 every 4 years to renew your card after it expires.
What should I know before I apply
To apply for the Koho Metal Card you need to:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old
- Have a Koho account in good standing
Required documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your social insurance number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply for a new Koho account
- Click “Go to site” on this page to be securely directed to your Koho account application.
- Read through the Disclosure Statement details and click “Accept & Continue”.
- Complete the application with details that include your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The Koho Metal Card is an exclusive prepaid Visa card on offer from the reputable online banking platform, Koho. It’s a 16g metal card that comes with rose and gold design, and you can purchase it for a one-time fee of $159. This card is a limited edition purchase that you can make through the Koho app, so you’ll need to act fast if you want to take advantage of this deal.
Frequently asked questions about the Koho Metal Card
More guides on Finder
How to invest in soybeans
Find out about 4 ways to invest in this popular crop including futures, futures options, ETFs and stocks.
How to buy Forterra stock in Canada | $23.38
Steps to owning and managing FRTA, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Digital Turbine stock in Canada | $66.17
Steps to owning and managing APPS, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Darling Ingredients stock in Canada | $68.46
Steps to owning and managing DAR, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy AVEO Pharmaceuticals stock in Canada | $7.3
Steps to owning and managing AVEO, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy 22nd Century Group stock in Canada | $4.81
Steps to owning and managing XXII, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy WW International stock in Canada | $37.96
Steps to owning and managing WW, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Welbilt stock in Canada | $19.65
Steps to owning and managing WBT, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Sangamo Therapeutics stock in Canada | $10.78
Steps to owning and managing SGMO, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.