CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card review
Get comprehensive travel benefits and earn a decent return on Aventura Points to put towards your next big trip.Earn up to 40,000 Aventura Points in the first year. Plus, get a rebate on the first year annual fee.
Purchase Interest Rate
$0 annual fee for the first year ($139 thereafter)
The CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card offers a full suite of travel benefits and a decent return on Aventura Points. Earn 1.5 points for every $1 you spend on daily purchases like gas and groceries, 2 points on travel purchased through the CIBC Rewards Centre and 1 point on everything else.
- Think about this card if you travel regularly and want to earn more points for daily purchases.
- Choose something else if you want low interest or no annual fee.
- You’ll need to have an individual income of $60,000 or a household income of $100,000 to apply for this credit card.
If you want to take advantage of a full spread of travel benefits along with a decent return on Aventura Points, then you might benefit from the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card.
- Decent return. Earn 1.5 Aventura Points for every dollar you spend on daily purchases like gas and groceries.
- Welcome bonus. Get 20,000 Aventura Points when you make your first purchase. In your first year, you can also earn 1,250 Aventura Points each monthly statement period when you spend at least $1,000. That’s an extra 15,000 points, and up to $800 in total travel value. Also, get a first year annual fee rebate for you and up to 3 Authorized Users.
- Priority lounge access. Gain access to 1,300+ airport lounges with 4 complimentary visits per year.
- Travel medical insurance. Avoid paying for third-party travel medical insurance with full coverage on your card for the first 15 days of your trip.
- Travel benefits. Protect against losses with additional trip interruption, hotel burglary, baggage and flight delay insurance.
- Nexus fee rebate. Apply for fast border crossings between the US and Canada and get a $50 rebate on your application fee
- Common carrier insurance. Insure your trip with up to $500,000 coverage when you travel by plane, ferry, train or bus. You'll get coverage for travel accidents, lost/stolen/damaged baggage, car rental theft and damage, flight delays, hotel burglaries, mobile devices, Purchase Security and Extended Protection Insurance.
- Car rental insurance. Get covered for collision and damage when you rent a car using your card.
- Mobile device insurance. Get coverage for the cost of replacing your cell phone in the event of loss, damage or theft.
- Optional insurance. Pay more to get balance protection insurance in case you get injured or can no longer work to pay your bills.
- Purchase protection. Rest easy with purchase insurance and extended warranty coverage on the products you buy with your card.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. It costs $139 per year to maintain this card.
- High interest. You’ll pay as much as 20.99% interest on outstanding balances and 22.99% (21.99% for Quebec residents) on cash advances and balance transfers.
- Fee for additional cards. Every additional card that you add to your account will cost $50.
- High minimum income. You’ll need to make at least $60,000 per year to qualify for this card.
What should I know before I apply?
How to apply
- Head to the CIBC website to begin your application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
If you’re a frequent flyer who wants to earn flexible points for daily purchases, the CIBC Aventura Visa Infinite Card could be a good fit for you. This card comes with a generous welcome bonus and comprehensive travel insurance, but you’ll have to pay an annual fee to keep your account active.