Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
CIBC Aero Platinum Visa Card review
Get a generous welcome bonus and earn Aeroplan Miles for every dollar you spend on your card.
No longer offered in the market
The CIBC Aero Platinum Visa Card is no longer available. However, we’ve kept the information online for those who are interested.
You can compare more CIBC credit cards here.
The CIBC Aero Platinum Visa Card is a low-fee card that offers 1 Aeroplan Mile for every $1.50 you spend on your card along with double the rewards at over 150 Aeroplan partners. This card also comes with a generous welcome offer and basic insurance.
- Think about this card if you’re an Aeroplan member and want to cash in on a welcome bonus.
- Choose something else if you want a premium card or don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- You’ll need to make a minimum income of $15,000 to qualify for this card.
Whether you’re a seasoned traveler or planning your first trip overseas, you could benefit from collecting more Aeroplan Miles with the CIBC Aero Platinum Visa Card.
- Decent return. Earn 1 Aeroplan Mile for every $1.50 you spend on your card.
- 2x the points. Get rewarded twice when you show your membership alongside your credit card at over 150 Aeroplan partner organizations.
- Welcome offer. Collect up to 5,000 Aeroplan Miles when you sign up for your card.
- Common carrier insurance. Get up to $100,000 when you travel by plane, ferry, bus or train.
- Car rental insurance. Lock in free collision and damage insurance when you pay for a car rental on your card.
- Purchase protection. Protect the purchases you make on your card with purchase assurance and extended warranty coverage.
- Optional payment protection. Pay an extra fee to have your minimum payments covered if you get injured or lose your job.
- Optional travel insurance. Pay more to get insured when you go on trips or head out of province.
- Contactless payments. Sign up for Apple Pay or Google Pay to make on-the-go contactless payments.
- Free additional cards. Get up to three additional cards for family members at no extra cost.
- Fraud alerts. Get instant notifications when there’s suspicious activity on your account.
- Enhanced security. Make worry-free purchases with encrypted chip-enabled cards and Visa Checkout services for online payments.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. The fee on this card is $39 per year.
- High interest. This card comes with interest rates as high as 22.99% (which is about 10% higher than with a low-interest card).
- No cash back. You won’t be able to exchange your points for cash in hand.
- Limited benefits. This card doesn’t offer extra benefits like mobile phone insurance or roadside assistance.
What should I know before I apply
How to apply
- Head to the CIBC website to begin your application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
If you’re a frequent flyer and you want a low-fee card that will let you collect Aeroplan Miles faster, then the CIBC Aero Platinum Visa Card might be a suitable option for you. This card comes with a welcome offer and travel benefits like car rental coverage and common carrier insurance.