Take advantage of competitive spreads and powerful trading platforms with this reputable online forex broker.
You can open an account in a matter of minutes using AvaTrade’s online application.
AvaTrade is a globally licensed and regulated online trading broker that offers its services in Canada through Friedberg Direct. This is a reputable Toronto-based firm that ensures all AvaTrade accounts comply with Canadian regulations.
When you sign up for AvaTrade, you’ll choose from a number of different trading platforms (including MetaTrader 4 and AvaOptions). These allow for both automated and manual foreign exchange and contracts for difference (CFD) trading, depending on your preferences.
- Think about this online forex trading platform if you’re a seasoned trader and you want direct control of your portfolio.
- Choose something else if you’re not very tech-savvy or you want more guidance on how to make trades.
What investments does AvaTrade offer?
AvaTrade offers a number of different forex and contracts for difference (CFD) trading options. The main platform that AvaTrade offers is MetaTrader 4.
- Foreign exchange. Trade currency pairs to make money on the currency spread when prices fluctuate.
- Options. Buy and sell investments when they reach a certain price, depending on whether you think the market is going up or down.
- Contracts for difference. Profit from the difference between the opening and closing price for a number of CFDs without having to invest in actual assets.
What types of CFD trades can I make?
- Equities. Place bets on the rise and fall of stocks and their derivatives to link your trades to the performance of specific companies.
- Bonds. Speculate on the shifting value of common government bond futures (with a focus on Euro-Bund and the Japan Government Bond).
- Indices. Anticipate price changes in stock indices that group together baskets of individual company shares.
- Commodities. Forecast price movements for commodities like coffee, cacao and mined products like gold or oil.
Who is AvaTrade best for?
AvaTrade’s software is a good fit for experienced investors that want to trade primarily in foreign exchange and currency pairs. You can also trade CFDs on the MetaTrader 4 platform. You’ll need to sign up for the AvaOptions platform to trade options, which many other forex dealers don’t allow you to trade.
All of AvaTrade’s platforms are ideal for investors who are relatively tech-savvy, since all trades are carried out online. You can also take advantage of AvaTrade if you’re just starting out by checking out the number of “Beginner’s Trading Guides” that AvaTrade offers.
How easy is AvaTrade to use?
AvaTrade uses MetaTrader 4 software, which is relatively common in the forex trading world. This software is functional and user friendly, and it comes packed with research and educational tools to help you make informed decisions about your trades.
It’s easy to sign up for an account with AvaTrade, and you’ll be able to start trading as soon as you get approved and load funds into your account. You can also start by downloading a demo account which will let you spend virtual funds and start refining your trading strategy. AvaTrade also provides print resources and videos to help you get started on its platform.
What research does AvaTrade provide?
AvaTrade offers a number of research options through Sharp Trader, which is its dedicated educational site.
- Forex trade news. Get the latest on trade markets and economic trends with up-to-date forex trade news (including featured articles and fundamental analysis).
- Market analysis. Make more informed decisions about when to buy and sell your investments with real-time market data.
- Charting tools. Access a number of advanced charting tools with plenty of technical indicators to help accurately project your trades.
Pricing and fees
You’ll pay an annual maintenance fee for your account as well as a spread on every trade you make.
- Account fees. You’ll pay $100 to maintain your account over the course of 12 months. You’ll also be charged an inactivity fee of $50 every time you don’t use your account for three consecutive months.
- Trade costs. You’ll have to pay the spread on any currency pair or CFD that you trade (plus a markup for AvaTrade). Spreads will fluctuate according to what the markets are doing. That said, you won’t have to pay commissions on any of the trades you make.
Is AvaTrade safe?
AvaTrade is as safe to use as any other online forex trading platform. The company is a member of the Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) and the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF). This means it’s regulated by Canadian authorities and your deposits will be protected up to a certain limit.
How does AvaTrade keep my money safe?
Customer reviews and complaints
AvaTrade has mixed reviews from customers and independent forex review sites. Positive reviews indicate that AvaTrade offers an easy-to-use platform with a low markup on foreign exchange spreads. Customers also enjoy the educational tools that are built into this software.
However, some customers complain that it’s difficult to withdraw funds from AvaTrade. Many also complain that trades are sometimes executed at the wrong time, which results in financial losses.
Pros and cons
- Easy application. You can open an account in a matter of minutes using AvaTrade’s online application.
- Industry-leading software. AvaTrade uses the MetaTrader 4 software, which is one of the best in the industry.
- Reasonable forex fees. You’ll pay a reasonable markup on the foreign exchange spread for most currency pairs.
- Diverse technical tools. You can take advantage of a number of research tools that will help you understand market trends and chart out your trades.
- Demo account available. You can sign up for a demo account to trade virtual money and figure out an investment strategy before you dive into the deep end.
- Potential for financial losses. You risk losing money on your forex trades, especially if your risk appetite is high.
- Annual fee. You’ll have to pay $100 per year to maintain your account plus an inactivity fee of $50 for every three consecutive months you don’t make any trades.
- Computer literacy is needed. You’ll need to know how to navigate the online trading platform to take full advantage of all of AvaTrade’s features.
- Difficult to understand. It can be difficult for beginners to navigate the risks involved with trading on this type of platform (such as high volatility for CFD trades).
How do I sign up?
If you think you meet all the eligibility criteria and you’re ready to start investing with AvaTrade, you just need to follow the steps below:
- Use the online application to provide personal information like your name, email address, proof of ID and relevant documents.
- Review and submit your application.
- Get verified and load funds into your account to start trading.
- Set up a demo account if you want to get used to the software before you invest any real money.
How do I contact AvaTrade support?
You can contact AvaTrade by calling its customer service line at 877-796-3912 or by filling out an online form on its contact page. The company doesn’t list a dedicated email address to deal with customer complaints.
AvaTrade is a forex and CFD trading broker that offers reasonable spreads and a number of research tools. It uses the MetaTrader 4 platform to let you buy and sell currencies quickly and easily for no commission. Find out how AvaTrade works and sign up for your account today to start investing.