WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard review
Earn big welcome rewards and travel vouchers every year with the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard.
The WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard tries to stand out from the competition by offering hefty welcome bonuses and round-trip vouchers for every year you keep the card.
Purchase Interest Rate
Travel rewards cards are a dime a dozen these days, so it takes a pretty compelling option to capture our attention. The WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard stands out from the competition by offering hefty welcome bonuses and round-trip vouchers for every year you keep the card.
If you want a travel rewards card that gives you earnings options and added flexibility when booking your vacation, this RBC credit card could be for you. Find out if the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard is right for you.
- Consider getting this card if you’re a frequent flyer with WestJet and want to earn bonuses and rewards on your travels.
- Choose something else if you don’t like paying high annual fees.
- The more you fly with WestJet using this card, the higher your earning potential for free flights and vacations.
The WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard is designed to reward frequent flyers on board WestJet flights and to encourage more customers to travel with the airline. In exchange for that loyalty, this card offers a $350 WestJet Dollar welcome bonus on your first purchase. Additionally, for a limited time, earn 2x the WestJet dollars when you spend on grocery, restaurants and food delivery in the first three months.
If you sign up for this card, you can get a round trip companion voucher. The vouchers cover travel within Canada and the continental US, Hawaii, Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean and select global destinations through the WestJet network.
Like other RBC Mastercards, this card lets you save up to 3 cents per litre on fuel at any participating Petro-Canada gas station and earn up to 2% cash back on your purchases.
With all these rewards, the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard isn’t cheap. Be prepared to pay a high annual fee on the primary card and any supplementary card on your account.
- Significant welcome bonuses. WestJet dollars, free checked bags and a generous annual round-trip voucher are all meant to entice you to join.
- Insurance coverage. This card provides emergency medical insurance and protection for your trip, hotel and rental car.
- Cash back. Get 1.5% back in WestJet dollars on everyday purchases and 2% back on WestJet flights or vacations. You can use these dollars to purchase WestJet flights and vacation packages.
- Worldwide acceptance. As a member of the Mastercard family, this card is accepted worldwide.
What to watch for
- High interest rates. If you carry a credit card balance month-to-month, this card will cost you. Be prepared to pay 19.99% interest on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances.
- Annual fees. For every year you keep this card, you’ll pay $119 in fees. Supplementary cards issued to your account come with an annual fee of $59 each.
- High income requirements. To apply for this card, you need to have a minimum annual income of $80,000 as an individual or $150,000 as a family.
What should I know before I apply
How to apply
- Visit the WestJet RBC World Elite Mastercard web page.
- Click “apply now”.
- Fill out the standard credit card application, which should take five minutes.
The bottom line
If you travel with WestJet or live on routes the airline frequents, this RBC card can help you maximize your travel rewards and vacation options. The perks offered by this card are impressive, but they come at a cost. Expect to pay hefty annual fees (although not as much as some Aeroplan cards) and high interest rates. If you really want those annual travel vouchers and free checked bags, consider getting this card. If you prefer wider destination options, consider alternative frequent flyer programs.