TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card Review
Dreaming of your next vacation? Earn Aeroplan points on everyday purchases and get there faster and cheaper.Earn 1 Aeroplan Point for every dollar you spend on gas, groceries and Air Canada purchases as well as 1 point for every $1.50 you spend on everything else.
Purchase Interest Rate
$0 annual fee for the first year ($89 thereafter)
The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card is a mid-level card that comes with an annual fee of $89. Earn 1 Aeroplan Point for every $1 you spend on gas, groceries and Air Canada purchases as well as 1 point for every $1.50 you spend on everything else. This card comes with a welcome bonus and extended travel benefits such as baggage and flight delay, hotel burglary and car rental insurance.
- Think about this card if you collect Aeroplan points and want basic travel benefits.
- Choose something else if you’d rather get cashback or don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum comes with no minimum annual income requirements.
If you’re a frequent flyer and want to maximize your Aeroplan points, then the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card could be just the ticket.
- Decent return on points. Earn 1 Aeroplan Point for every $1 you spend on gas, groceries and Air Canada purchases as well as 1 point for every $1.50 you spend on everything else.
- Earn 2x the Aeroplan points. Earn twice the points by showing your Aeroplan membership when you make purchases with Aeroplan partners.
- Welcome bonus. Earn 20,000 Aeroplan points. Plus, get the first year annual fee waived for the Primary and 1st additional cardholder. Conditions Apply. Apply by August 16, 2021.
- Basic benefits. Take advantage of basic insurance such as purchase protection and extended warranty coverage when you buy consumer goods with your card.
- Travel insurance. Get travel insurance such as common carrier, baggage and flight delay, hotel burglary and car rental insurance.
- Mobile device insurance. Enjoy protection for your mobile phone in the event that it gets lost, stolen or damaged within the period of coverage (some conditions apply).
- Car rental discounts. Get discounts with Avis and Budget along with car rental insurance for up to 48 days.
- Common carrier insurance. $500,000 Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance (such as a bus, ferry, plane or train).
- Emergency travel assistance services. Call TD’s toll-free access to help in the event of a personal emergency while travelling.
- Optional insurance. Pay a small fee to add optional benefits such as travel medical, balance protection or roadside assistance.
- Fraud proof. Get instant alerts for suspicious activity on your account and protect your online payments with Visa Secure.
- Easy to qualify. There are no minimum annual personal or household income requirements to apply for this card.
What to watch out for
- Mid-level fee. This card comes with an annual fee of $89.
- High interest. You’ll pay 19.99% interest for purchases and 22.99% for cash advances when you hold an outstanding balance.
- No cashback. You won’t be able to earn cashback and your points will be locked into Aeroplan’s reward program.
- No travel medical. This card doesn’t offer travel medical when you leave your province, which means you’ll need to take out third-party insurance.
- Limited travel perks. You won’t get special travel perks such as lounge access, priority airport service or free checked baggage when you sign up.
- Fee for additional cards. You’ll have to pay $35 for every extra card you add to your account.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for a TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
You will also need to provide the following documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply
- Visit TD’s main page to access the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum Card is for frequent flyers and Aeroplan members. It allows you to collect double the Aeroplan points on eligible purchases and comes with a welcome offer, basic travel insurance and other perks like car rental coverage, common carrier insurance and purchase protection.
Frequently asked questions about the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum
Picture : td.com/ca