National Bank Platinum Mastercard review
Get comprehensive benefits and flexible rewards when you spend money with the mid-level travel-focussed National Bank Platinum Mastercard.
Use your points to redeem for travel, merchandise, gift cards, banking products and more.
1 point per $1 spend
With the National Bank Platinum Mastercard you can get the following: Earn 1 point per $1 spent on eligible purchases.
- Think about the National Bank Platinum Mastercard if you want to earn comprehensive benefits and flexible rewards.
- Choose something else if you’d rather collect specific frequent flyer miles or you don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- There are no minimum income requirements to qualify for this card.
Whether you’re a seasoned traveller or you’re booking your first flight overseas, you could save money on your next trip with the National Bank Platinum Mastercard.
- Decent return. Earn one point for every dollar you spend on your card.
- Purchase protection. Double your warranty coverage and protect the purchases you make on your credit card.
- Travel insurance. Protect yourself and your trip with travel medical, trip interruption, trip cancellation, flight delay and baggage insurance.
|Travel medical||Up to $5,000,000 per person (10 days only)|
|Trip cancellation||Up to $1,250|
|Trip interruption||Up to $2,500|
|Flight delay||Up to $500|
|Baggage delay||Up to $500|
|Baggage insurance (theft or damage)||Up to $1,000|
- Car rental insurance. Protect any car you rent with comprehensive insurance for up to 48 days.
- Zero liability coverage. Rest easy with protection against fraudulent charges on your account.
- Special travel agency. Save on travel when you redeem your points through National Bank‘s À La Carte online travel agency.
- Flexible rewards. Use your points to redeem for travel, merchandise, gift cards, banking products and more.
- No minimum income. You won’t have to make a minimum annual income to qualify for this card.
What to watch out for
- Mid-level annual fee. The fee for this card is $70 per year.
- High interest. You’ll pay 20.99% interest on outstanding balances on your card and 22.49% for cash advances.
- Low points value. Your points won’t be worth as much as they are with other frequent flyer and travel rewards programs.
- Limited travel medical. You’ll only be insured with travel medical for trips that are 10 days or less.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for a National Bank Platinum Mastercard, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
Required documents and information.
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your social insurance number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply for the National Bank Platinum Mastercard
- Click the ‘Go to site’ button above or this secure link to be securely redirected to the online application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
Compare other credit cards
The National Bank Platinum Mastercard is a mid-level travel rewards card that lets you earn flexible points and cash back. You’ll also get comprehensive travel benefits and other perks like car rental insurance and purchase protection when you sign up.