Our in-depth review of the OFX Global Currency Account for online sellers, including supported currencies, fees, exchange rates and registration. Read more…
Send money to Vietnam
Compare fees and exchange rates to get the best deal on your next money transfer to Vietnam.
If you need to send money to Vietnam, but don’t have a ton of time to compare money transfer services individually, we’re here to lend a helping hand. This handy comparison guide is designed to help you figure out which money transfer service offers the most competitive exchange rates and lowest fees while being the best fit for your needs.
WorldRemit International Money Transfers
WorldRemit can help you get your money where it needs to go in minutes, with upfront exchange rates and low fees.
Use promo code FINDERCA on your first transfer and pay zero fees. T&Cs apply.
- Transfers to 150+ countries
- Send to bank account, cash pickup, mobile money, airtime top up
- Pay with card, Interac or Apple/Android Pay
The “Rate” and “Amount Received” displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.
Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention “Finder” before you commit to a brand.
Whether you need to send some spare change to family and friends or you have a portfolio of business expenses to manage in Vietnam, there are a number of banks and money transfer services that can help you get the job done.
- Bank. Banks are notorious for offering less than desirable exchange rates on top of high fees (often between $20 and $100) on wire transfers, so even a small transfer can end up putting a big dent in your pocketbook.
- Money transfer company. Online money transfer providers like OFX and TorFX offer quick and affordable transactions to thousands of destinations across the world, with much lower fees (typically between $0 and $20) and more competitive exchange rates than the bank.
Case study: Hoang sends money to Vietnam
Hoang has been living and working in Vancouver for three years and he intermittently sends money home to his elderly parents, who live in Ho Chi Minh City. Hoang has always used his bank to facilitate wire transfers, but he’s been less than impressed with their sub-par exchange rates and a steep $35 fee per transfer. Hoang decides to compare two online money transfer providers to see if he can track down a better deal. The comparison below is based on exchange rates in the spring of 2018, so check current rates before making your choice.
|Money transfer service||Bank|
|Exchange rate||CAD$1 = VND 17,200||CAD$1 = VND 17,600|
|Amount received for $500||VND 17,200,000||VND 17,600,000|
|Transfer time||2 days||3-5 days|
|Transfer options||Online transfer only||Wire transfer to bank account|
Huang is pleased to discover that he can save VND 400,000 (around $22) in the exchange rate with the first money transfer option, with an additional $10 in fees. If Huang sends money every month, this amounts to almost $384 over the course of one year.
Comparing fees and delivery speeds is important when considering money transfer options. When making a transfer, you should consider the following factors to find the best deal.
- Exchange rates. Look for a service that will transfer your money at the most competitive exchange rate while also offering low to no fees.
- Fees. Many transfer companies offer lower fees than the bank, and a select few even provide zero-fee services. The best way to be sure you’re getting the best deal is to compare 3-4 services.
- Pick-up methods. If you need a transfer in minutes, settle on a cash transfer service like Western Union or Moneygram. If you have a more flexible timeline, you can opt for a bank-to-bank transfer.
- Delivery speed. Depending on the transfer service and method you choose, delivery time can take as little as a couple of minutes or as many as six business days. Choose a money transfer service that will get your money to where it needs to be on time.
- Customer service. Make sure you can easily access a 24/7 customer support team if you have questions about your transfer.
- Bank. Many Canadian banks can facilitate wire transfers to Vietnam, but will charge exorbitant fees and exchange rates for the service. Your bank can also supply an international money draft that you can send to Vietnam through the mail. Keep in mind that this is the slowest way to send money overseas.
- Money transfer services. Money transfer services can carry out cash, mobile top-up and bank-to-bank transfers with top-notch exchange rates and fees. Transfers typically take between 1 – 3 days.
If you’re travelling through Vietnam and run into an emergency, there are a couple of ways to get your hands on some fast cash. The following services offer quick and hassle free delivery.
- Insurance coverage. In the case of a lost or stolen purse or wallet, your insurance policy might be able to provide you with emergency assistance. If your money was stolen, you will likely need a police report in order to access cash via your insurance provider.
- Cash pickups. Ask a friend or relative to send you money with a cash transfer service like MoneyGram or Western Union.
- Credit Cards. If you booked some of your trip through your credit card, they may be able to help you access emergency funds. Contact your credit card provider for details.
Emergency cash transfers to Vietnam
In the event of an emergency, cash pick-up options like MoneyGram and Western Union can facilitate a transaction to hundreds of agent locations across Vietnam in as little as 10 minutes. Just beware that while these companies can be a lifesaver when you’re in a tight spot, they can cost much more than a bank-to-bank transfer. If you have time to spare, it can pay to look at companies like TransferWise or WorldRemit to complete your transaction.
The Government of Canada recommends that Canadian visitors to Vietnam exercise a high degree of caution (as of 01 September 2018) due to an increase in petty crime. Pick-pocketing is common in tourist areas, including markets and shopping centres and crowded buses and trains. Motorcyclists also commonly grab bags and other valuables from pedestrians. If you do need to collect cash, look for an agent location in a safe neighborhood and call ahead to make sure they’ll have cash on hand. Visit during daylight hours in the company of a good friend and return to your hotel to stow your cash in a safe place as quickly as possible.
You can send money to Vietnam via a bank or through a specialist money transfer service. Depending on the service you choose, you’ll likely need to provide the following information:
- Your identification (passport, etc.)
- Your email address
- The recipient’s name, address and bank account details
- The amount you’d like to send
The bank or money transfer service will send you a confirmation email or give you a receipt if you’ve made the transfer in person.
You may also be interested in
Read more on this topic
Send money to the Democratic Republic of Congo Compare options for sending money to the Congo DRC.
Send money to Congo-Brazzaville Compare money transfer services to find a better deal when sending money to Congo-Brazzaville.
What is a telegraphic transfer? Find out everything you should know about telegraphic transfers and how safe they are.
Forex Trading Finder™: Compare forex trading tools Forex trading allows you to predict and try to profit from changes in the market value of global currencies.
How to send money to Haiti Learn how to find the best value when sending money to Haiti, including how to compare fees, exchange rates and transfer speeds.
XE vs WorldFirst XE and WorldFirst are put to the test to see which provider is best.
XE vs PayPal A comparison of XE and PayPal money transfer providers. Which offers better fees and exchange rates? Find out here.
XE Money Transfer vs OFX Check out this side-by-side comparison of XE and OFX to find out which provider offers the best value on international money transfers.
MoneyGram vs OFX Find out how the tried-and-true MoneyGram compares with digital OFX on fees, rates and speeds when transferring your money overseas.
Travelex promo codes and discounts January 2020 Find the latest Travelex promo codes to spend less on your travel money and money transfers.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.