Compare exchange rates, transaction fees and transfer options when you need to send a fast and affordable money transfer to Peru.
The beautiful South American country of Peru is home to a portion of the Amazon rainforest and is also the site of the majestic Machu Picchu. These two features make it a hugely popular destination for travellers from Australia and all around the world.
If you ever need to send money to Peru from Australia, there are plenty of transfer options at your disposal. However, if you don’t compare those options and search for the best available deal, sending money to Peru can be unnecessarily damaging to your bank balance.
Compare Money Transfer Services
Banks versus money transfer companies
When you need to move money internationally, every major Australian bank can offer a fast and easy international transfer service. The problem is, however, that banks don’t offer a great deal when it comes to transfers. They charge high fees and offer some truly disappointing exchange rates, which means the money you have saved usually doesn’t go anywhere near as far as it should.
So if saving money is important to you, compare the cost of sending funds to Peru via your bank with performing the same transaction via a specialist money transfer company. These providers offer safe, secure and cost-effective transfers to countries all around the world, providing better exchange rates and much more reasonable fee structures than the banks. This means that both you and your recipient in Peru can take advantage of the savings that result.
Case Study: Gloria Sends Money to Peru
Gloria wants to send $1,000 from Sydney to her sister in Lima. She has an account with a ‘big four’ bank in Australia but, after learning they don’t offer this exotic currency, she decides to shop around for a money transfer provider to try and find a better deal. She compares two specialist online transfer companies in the table below.
As you can see, Gloria can send almost 12 PEN extra using the second transfer company and can also save AUD $10 in transfer fees.
|Money transfer provider 1||Money transfer provider 2|
|Exchange rate||1 AUD = 2.3256 PEN||1 AUD = 2.3374 PEN|
|Transfer method||Online bank account transfer||Online bank account transfer|
|Processing time||1-3 days||1-3 days|
|Amount received (in PEN)||2,325.60 PEN||2,337.40|
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money via Peru?
- Exchange rates. Shop around to find a transfer provider that regularly offers better exchange rates than its competitors. However, make sure those great rates don’t also come with high transfer fees attached.
- Transaction fees. Check the fine print to see how much it will cost you each time you send a transfer, plus it’s also a good idea to find out whether you can avoid paying any fee if you transfer a large sum of money.
- How easy it is to use. Can you place transfers online or by visiting a branch? Are there other convenient options available, such as placing transfers over the phone or using a free mobile app?
- Flexible transfer options. Check to see whether the company offers transfer options such as forward contracts and limit orders – these allow you to get the exchange rate you want for your transaction. Some providers also offer the convenience of scheduling recurring payments more than 12 months in advance.
- Turnaround time. Compare transaction processing times to see which company can get your money to Peru the fastest, but remember that quick transfers usually cost more.
- Minimum and maximum transfer amounts. Some providers impose minimum and maximum transaction limits – check to see if these limits will affect you.
- Cash collection options. Does the provider offer bank account transfers or a cash pickup option from your nearest branch?
- Customer service. Are phone and email support offered? Is there an online help centre and live online chat if you need immediate assistance?
How do I send money to Peru from Australia?
- Specialist money transfer companies. Online transfer companies, for example World First and OFX, can offer fast and convenient transfers to destinations all around the world.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Providers such as Western Union and MoneyGram offer convenient cash pickup transfers to Peru.
- Bank transfers. Compare the exchange rates and fees your bank offers on international transactions with those offered by specialist transfer companies.
- International guaranteed cheques. Another option is to obtain an international cheque from your bank and mail it to your beneficiary in Peru.
How do I receive money from Peru in Australia?
- Specialist money transfer companies. Compare your options when choosing a money transfer company that can send money to Australia from Peru.
- Cash pickup transfer companies. Visit a provider’s website to find their cash pickup locations nearest to you.
- Bank transfers. Another option is to transfer funds from your bank account in Peru to an Australian bank account.
- International guaranteed cheques. Make sure you’re aware of the fees and charges that apply when cashing an international cheque.
Emergency cash transfers in Peru
If you need to send money to Peru as quickly as possible, some companies offer rapid international transfers in as little as 10 minutes. However, fast transfers usually don’t come cheap, and you can expect the transaction to cost extra thanks to low exchange rates and high transfer fees. With this in mind, make sure that you take a close look at the full cost of your transaction before deciding whether it is a cost-effective transfer option.
Cash pickup locations in Peru/ Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Peru
With hundreds of thousands of cash pickup locations around the world, Western Union and MoneyGram both offer convenient cash transfer services. The details of some popular agent locations in Peru are listed below. If you’re going to pick up cash, phone ahead to confirm opening hours and make sure to take photo ID and a transaction ID number with you.
411 Sac Playa
Av Nicolas Ayllon 652 Mza C Lt 05 Ate
Open 8:30am to 9pm seven days
A Serviban SA
Jr Carabaya 693
Open 9am to 7pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm Saturday
A Serviban S A
Calle Maruri 310
Open 9am to 7pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm Saturday
Calle Del Medio 100
Cuzco, Cuzco L84
Avenida. Per 2290 2286
Open 9am to 6pm Monday to Saturday
Centro Aereo Comercial Callao
Open 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday, 9am to 11am Saturday
Avenida El Sol 380
Open 9am to 6:15pm Monday to Friday, 9:15am to 12:30pm Saturday
Av. El Sol 300 Cusco
Open 9am to 8:30pm Monday to Saturday, 8:30am to 8:30pm Sunday
Tips for picking up cash in Peru
The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade recommends that Australian visitors to Peru exercise a high degree of caution, so follow a few simple safety steps when picking up cash:
- Ask a friend to accompany you
- Don’t make yourself a target for thieves by displaying your cash in public
- Avoid high-crime areas or anywhere you don’t feel safe
- Never carry large sums of cash around with you for any longer than is absolutely necessary
- Deposit excess cash into your bank account
What are the steps to send money to Peru?
- Sign up for an account with a transfer provider. Registering is usually free and can be done online. You’ll need to provide your name, contact details and a valid form of photo ID.
- Provide transaction information. The next step is to enter all the details of your transfer, including who you’re sending money to, where they live, how much money you’re sending and in which currency.
- Complete your transaction. The last step in the process is to review the transfer details, pay for your transaction and keep hold of any receipt you are given so that you can track your transfer.