Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Send money to Hong Kong
Transfer money to Hong Kong using an international money transfer service and you could beat the bank's rates.
Online money transfer companies usually offer the lowest fees and the most competitive exchange rates, often beating your local bank by a long shot when sending money to Hong Kong. You’ll need to send cash if your recipient doesn’t have an account with a supported bank, so compare options to find the best deal for your situation.
Compare options for sending money to Hong Kong
Use our comparison calculator to assess transfer fees, exchange rates and other details for sending funds to Hong Kong with our money transfer partners.
What's in this guide?
What’s the best way to send money to Hong Kong?
Online money transfer providers typically offer the strongest exchange rates and lowest fees on money transfers to Hong Kong. Some offer cash pickup in as little as a few minutes, while others seamlessly transfer to bank accounts. Sending money through PayPal or your bank is also an option, but you’ll typically face higher fees and weaker exchange rates when going that route.
Digital money transfer services
Companies like WorldRemit specialize in foreign currencies, making them some of the most cost-effective transfers. Most offer transfers directly to your recipient’s Hong Kong bank account, often in as little as a day or two.
Services like MoneyGram and Western Union allow you to transfer cash for pickup at a local branch in Hong Kong — often in 15 minutes. While it’s a fast way to send money, you’ll pay for the convenience in weak exchange rates and high fees.
The Hong Kong dollar isn’t a popular currency, so your local bank may not be able to exchange it. If your bank does support the Hong Kong dollar, beware of high fees and wide margins on the exchange rate compared to digital and other options when sending a wire transfer to Hong Kong.
Let’s crunch the numbers: Sending $2,000 to Hong Kong
Let’s say you need to send $2,000 to family in Hong Kong. Here’s what you might face as far as fees and exchange rates as of November 7, 2020.
|Digital money transfer service||Cash transfer||Bank transfer|
|Fee||$16||$4.99||$50 + additional correspondent bank fees|
|Exchange rate||1 CAD = 5.7429 HKD||1 CAD = 5.9363 HKD||1 CAD = 5.4132 HKD|
|Transfer speed||1-2 day||Minutes||2-5 days|
|Amount received||HKD 11,394||HKD 11,843||HKD 10,556|
The bank option ends up being both the slowest and gets the smallest amount of money to your recipient in Hong Kong. If you go with the cash transfer service, your recipient ends up with HKD 1,287 more than the bank offers. If speed is crucial, a cash transfer can typically have your transfer to Hong Kong in as little as 15 minutes, just make sure there is a cash pickup location near your recipient before sending.
How to send money to Hong Kong online
Sign up and send money with a digital money transfer specialist in four steps:
- Sign up for a free account. Pick a provider and sign up for a free online account using your contact information, proof of ID and preferred payment method.
- Provide transfer details. Submit your recipient’s contact information and pick a delivery method. If transferring to a bank, you’ll need their bank account information from Hong Kong.
- Confirm transfer details. Double-check your payment method, expected fees and destination.
- Save your receipt. Record your receipt’s confirmation number to track the progress of your transfer to Hong Kong. Some money transfer providers send a text or email when your transfer is complete.
What are the ways that I can send money to Hong Kong
- Bank transfers. Many major Canadian banks will allow you to send money to Hong Kong.
- Money transfer providers. Providers like Wise and CurrencyTransfer can help you quickly and easily transfer your money online.
- Providers with cash pickup. Western Union, WorldRemit and MoneyGram allow you to send funds for cash pickup at agent locations.
- PayPal. Electronic payment giant PayPal allows you to send money from Canada to Hong Kong.
- Cheques and money orders. Although not a quick option, you could send an international cheque overseas, obtained from your financial institution.
How to get the most out of your money transfer to Hong Kong
Weigh costs and fees against convenience to learn how to compare money transfer providers that send to Hong Kong to best meet your needs:
- Exchange rates. The CAD-HKD relationship fluctuates occasionally, so using a service that allows you to lock-in exchange prices may help you save money down the line if the Hong Kong dollar rises against the Canadian dollar.
- Transfer fees. Transferring money overseas nearly always requires fees, but they might be hidden in the exchange rate. When sending large amounts, it may be cheaper to pay a flat fee to secure a stronger CAD-HKD exchange rate.
- Transfer limits. How much you can send varies by company, and different amounts can attract higher or lower fees. Shop around for the best deal on the amount of pounds you’re sending to Hong Kong.
- Turnaround. Transferring money through a local bank can take a business week or longer. If you need the funds delivered quickly, seek out a digital specialist that offers instant transfers to Hong Kong.
- Sending limits. Comparing prices for one large transfer instead of many small transfers is typically easier, so picking the service you use based on how much you’re sending is a valid strategy for saving money.
- Transfer methods. Whether you want money sent to a Hong Kong bank account or picked up as cash at a local agent, narrow down a company that matches your preferred delivery method.
Emergency cash transfer to Hong Kong
When urgency trumps cost to get your money to Hong Kong quickly, look for money transfer companies that support cash pickup in minutes. You can pay with a credit or debit card for fast pickup, but fees are higher than other methods.
How to send money to Hong Kong without a bank account
Cash transfer services can help you if you don’t have a bank account, look for a local company that supports storefronts for cash payments. These services include agent locations in other countries that allow your recipient to pick up cash without a bank account.
Hong Kong’s exchange rates explained
The exchange rate determines how much one country’s currency is worth in another country’s currency. When a country’s currency is strong, it yields more money when exchanging it in a country with a weaker currency. Hong Kong’s exchange rate is flexible compared to the Canadian dollar, and the CAD-HKD relationship fluctuates often. Factors that may influence the exchange rate include interest rates, economic stability and inflation.
Documents needed for sending to and receiving money in Hong Kong
To send money to Hong Kong from Canada, you’ll need government-issued ID and other documents, while documents needed to pick up money in Hong Kong may differ by company.
Documents to send money from Canada
To send money from Canada to Hong Kong, you’ll need documentation and details that include:
- Identification. Most services require a driver’s license, passport or other government-issued ID. Some services allow you to send transfers without ID, but they may require your SIN.
- Payment method. Your service may accept credit or debit cards, cash, bank accounts or personal cheques.
- Recipient information. Submit your recipient’s name as it appears on their ID, along with their phone number and Hong Kong bank account information.
Documents to receive money in Hong Kong
To pick up money in person, documentation can include:
- Transfer number. The person sending you money can forward the transfer’s confirmation details — called a PIN, an MTCN, a reference number or a tracking number, depending on the company.
- Government-issued ID. A Hong Kong Special Administrative Region passport, Hong Kong ID or similar official ID may be required to pick up your transfer.
- Amount sent. You may need to know how much was sent, usually within 10% of the total.
- Sender’s information. Take along your sender’s full name, the sending country and their address, if known.
What to watch out for
There are no taxes simply for receiving a money transfer in Canada. However, an incoming transfer could trigger a tax if the money is earned or used in a taxable way. For example, if you receive money as profit from an overseas business venture, you’ll have to report this on your annual tax return as part of your income. Learn more about tax regulations for large international money transfers into Canada in our guide.
Sending your hard-earned money to Hong Kong shouldn’t cost a fortune. Compare money transfer companies that specialize in foreign transactions for the strongest rates, lowest fees and flexible delivery. For transfers to other countries, rely on our country specific guides the next time you need to make a transfer.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Deliveroo (ROO.L) stock in Canada
Canadian investors will need an international stock trading account to invest in this popular British delivery service.
How to buy British Airways (IAG.L) stock in Canada
Buy into British Airways through its parent company, International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG.L).
How to invest in blockchain stocks
Comprehensive guide on blockchain stock investing, benefits, risks, main stocks, blockchain ETFs, and more.
6 tips for Canadian import/export businesses
SPONSORED: How to take your business global (and save a whole lot of money along the way).
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
5 big reasons you might need a digital bank for money transfers
Find out how digital banks compare with dedicated money transfer services when sending money overseas.
Neo Financial High Interest Savings Account Review
Earn a high interest rate on your savings with no minimum deposit requirements and no monthly fees.
Simplii Financial wire transfer review
Pay zero fees for safe and secure money transfers to over 120 countries.
CIBC Aeroplan Visa for Students Review
Earn Aeroplan Points and other travel benefits with the CIBC Aeroplan Visa for Students.
How to cut the cost of sending money overseas in 2021
SPONSORED: Fee-free services and special offers can help you save on your next international money transfer.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.