Send money to Hong Kong
Transfer money to Hong Kong using an international money transfer service and you could beat the bank's rates.
Around 300,000 Canadians are based in Hong Kong, with thousands more traveling to the region each year for both business and pleasure. Check out our handy money transfer guide if you’re looking to send money to Hong Kong in the near future, to find the most competitive exchange rates and lowest fees.
Send money to Hong Kong with WorldRemit
WorldRemit can help you get your money where it needs to go in minutes, with upfront exchange rates and low fees.
Use promo code FINDERCA on your first transfer and pay zero fees. T&Cs apply.
- Transfers to 150+ countries
- Send to bank account, cash pickup, mobile money, airtime top up
- Pay with card, Interac or Apple/Android Pay
Banks versus money transfer service
Since the Hong Kong Dollar is a major global currency, many banks are more than happy to initiate a wire transfer to Hong Kong. That being said, this isn’t always the most affordable solution to send money overseas.
- Banks. Banks tend to charge fees as high as $80 on top of offering sub-par exchange rates, which means less bang for your buck all around.
- Money transfer services. Money transfer services like WorldRemit and TransferWise offer fast, easy and affordable transfers across international borders. Comparing services across the board can save you hundreds of dollars in the long run, depending on the size of your transfer.
Case study: Chu sends money to Hong Kong
Chu has been living and working in Ottawa for a couple of years and she intermittently sends money home to her parents, who run a small grocery store in Hong Kong. Chu has always used her bank to facilitate wire transfers, but is tired of their sub-par exchange rates and a steep $38 fee per transfer. She decides to compare two online money transfer providers to see if she can track down a better deal.
The comparison below is based on exchange rates in the spring of 2018, so check current rates before making your choice.
|Money Transfer Service 1||Money Transfer Service 2|
CAD$1 = HKD 6.05
CAD$1 = HKD 6.01
Amount received (for $1,000)
2 – 5 days
1 – 2 days
or cash pick-up
Chu realizes that she can save HKD 40 (around $6.50) in the exchange rate with the second money transfer option, with an additional $15 in fees. If Chu sends money every month, this amounts to almost $258 over the course of one year.
How to compare service companies when transferring money to Hong Kong
- Exchange rates and fees. Check to see which company offers the best exchange rates, but remember that companies with more competitive exchange rates may also charge higher transfer fees to make up the difference. The best way to make sure you get the best deal is to compare quotes from 3 – 4 transfer providers.
- Transfer methods. Some transfer services specialize in bank-to-bank transfers while others are all about the cash pick-up. Figure out what works best for you and lock in a company accordingly.
- Bonus features. Check to see if you can place limit orders or forward contracts, which allow you to lock in a favorable exchange rate in advance of your transfer taking place. Ask about setting up a recurring transfer if you’re planning to send money overseas on a regular basis.
- Turnaround time. Send funds to your recipient in minutes using a cash transfer service or opt to wait 1 – 3 days for another money transfer service.
- Customer service. Confirm that customer service will be available on command if you have any issues with your transfer, whether through phone, e-mail or live chat support.
Ways to send money to Hong Kong from Canada
- Bank transfers. Many Canadian banks will allow you to send a wire transfer to Hong Kong, but will typically charge an arm and a leg for the service.
- Online money transfer providers. Money transfer providers like TransferWise and WorldRemit offer a cheap and affordable service that will almost always beat out the bank.
- Cash transfer agents. Consider sending funds through Western Union or MoneyGram so that your recipient can pick up cash from an agent location within minutes.
- Cheques. International guaranteed cheques are a secure way to send money overseas, but this transfer method typically takes several weeks to reach your recipient.
Emergency cash transfers in Hong Kong
Western Union and MoneyGram both allow you to send cash for pick-up at hundreds of agent locations across Hong Kong within minutes. It’s important to remember that cash transfers are almost always more expensive than bank-to-bank transfers. If you have a flexible timeline, it can pay to look at companies like TransferWise or TorFX to complete your transaction.
The Government of Canada recommends that Canadian visitors to Hong Kong exercise a normal degree of caution (as of 30 September 2018). Petty crime such as pickpocketing and purse snatching occurs, particularly at the airport, on public transportation, in main tourist shopping areas and on crowded streets.
If you do need to collect cash, look for an agent location in a safe neighborhood and call ahead to make sure they’ll have cash on hand. Visit during daylight hours in the company of a good friend and return to your hotel to stow your cash in a safe place as quickly as possible.
How to send money to Hong Kong
There are plenty of options to choose from when you need to send money to Hong Kong, most of which require you to sign up for an account before sending your transfer. The exact registration process differs between companies, but you’ll generally need to provide the following information:
- Full name, address and banking information for both you and your recipient
- Proof of identity to confirm your account
- Total amount you want to send along with currency
You may also be interested in
With 240,000+ locations in 130 countries, Ria is the third-largest provider of international money transfers in the world. It offers great exchange rates, minimal fees and fast, secure transactions when you need to send funds overseas. Read more…
Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world. Read more…
Learn about the pros and cons of using PayPal to convert your online seller profits into Canadian dollars in this detailed review. Read more…
Read more on this topic
Review: Ria money transfer With 240,000+ locations in 130 countries, Ria is the third-largest provider of international money transfers in the world. It offers great exchange rates, minimal fees and fast, secure transactions when you need to send funds overseas.
Sending money internationally during the coronavirus pandemic Learn about how COVID-19 may affect the ways you transfer cash around the world.
Alternatives to OFX If OFX isn't offered in your country or you're shopping around, compare their features like rates, fees and speed against the competition.
Western Union vs Moneycorp Compare Western Union and Moneycorp side by side to see who’s got the better value for money and faster transfers.
Western Union vs WorldFirst Compare Western Union and WorldFirst side by side on costs, transfer times and features.
Send money to Uzbekistan If you need to send money to Uzbekistan, this guide will help you find the lowest fees, best exchange rates and fastest transfer speeds.
Send money to the Democratic Republic of Congo Compare options for sending money to the Congo DRC.
Send money to Congo-Brazzaville Compare money transfer services to find a better deal when sending money to Congo-Brazzaville.
What is a telegraphic transfer? Find out everything you should know about telegraphic transfers and how safe they are.
Forex Trading Finder™: Compare forex trading tools Forex trading allows you to predict and try to profit from changes in the market value of global currencies.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.