By comparing exchange rates and transfer fees of various online money transfer services, you can find cheap, easy ways to send money to Croatia.
Canada and Croatia have good bilateral relations and a healthy trade partnership. Croatia has a booming tourism industry which sees thousands of Canadians head to the sandy beaches, colourful towns and party islands.
There are over 133,000 Croatian descendants living in Canada. With such high numbers of immigration between Canada and Croatia, there was a need for affordable ways to send money between the two nations. Today, there are a few specialist money transfer services that allow cost-effective transfers between Canada and Croatia.
Whether you are travelling through Croatia, paying business expenses or helping out loved ones, there are different ways to send money overseas to Croatia. While many Canadian banks will offer wire transfers to Croatia, specialist money transfer services offer more competitive exchange rates and lower transfer fees. Read our guide to find out cost-effective ways to send money between Canada and Croatia.
Compare money transfer services below.
Speak to a FX Expert
Banks versus money transfer companies
Hana lives in Canada with her husband and three children. Her parents have just retired and decided to buy a house on the Dalmatian coast. Hana would like to send some money to her parents to help them out. After doing some research, she decided to compare two specialist money transfer providers. You can see the results of her comparison below.
|Money transfer 1||Money transfer 2|
|Exchange rate||$1 CAD = 4.83 HRK||$1 CAD = 4.93 HRK|
|Amount received for $1000||4,874.79 HRK|
|Transfer time||One to two days||Less than 24 hours|
|Transfer options||Bank deposit||Online transfer|
As you can see above, both companies offer very similar deals once you factor in fees and exchange rates. Money transfer service 2 offers a more competitive exchange rate but charges a higher transfer fee. Since she will be able to send 40.47 HRK more, which equals around $8 Canadian, it makes more sense to send the money with money transfer service 2 since they can send the funds faster.
How do I compare transfer companies when transferring and receiving money to Croatia?
- Exchange rates. Since transfer companies charge fees for money transfers, it is important to choose a service with competitive exchange rates and low fees. Compare both of these factors to secure a great deal.
- Pick-up methods. Check with your recipient to see which pick-up method would suit them best, especially if they are located far from a pick-up point or are not able to pick up cash easily.
- Fees. Even if a service offers a competitive exchange rate, make sure that you aren’t being charged high service or conversion fees for the transfer. Sometimes a good exchange rate is negated by additional fees.
- Bank to bank transfers. If your recipient has a bank account with the same bank, you can send a same-bank transfer, usually for no fee.
- Turnaround time. Depending on how urgently your recipient needs the money, you can choose between services that offer near instantaneous delivery, like Western Union, or those that make money available within one to three working days.
- Transfer methods. The quickest way to send money is usually via online transfer, but you can also choose to send transactions over the phone, in person or through your bank. Your choice depends on your preferred turnaround speed and the fees you’re willing to pay.
- Transfer options. Besides just once-off transfers, you can also choose to set up regular scheduled payments, forward contracts and market orders.
- Minimum transfer amounts. Some services require that you send a minimum amount, usually between $5 and $50. In some cases, fees are waived for transfers over a certain amount.
- Customer service. It’s imperative that the money transfer service has a reliable and efficient customer service. You should be issued a tracking number to use as a reference when making enquiries about the status of your transaction. Some companies will offer web chat, email, phone and in person service, while others may only offer one or two contact options.
How do I send money to Croatia from Canada?
Thanks to cordial relations between Canada and Croatia, as well as the high number of Croatian-born citizens living in Canada, there are several ways to send money between the two countries. Here are a few options to consider:
- TransferWise. This money transfer service is online only and will send money directly to your recipient’s bank account.
- Western Union. Your recipient can collect the funds at a Western Union agent or withdraw it from his or her bank account. This service generally costs more since the funds can be made available just minutes after lodging the transaction.
- Banks. Sending money between banks usually implies higher fees, but if your recipient has a bank account with the same bank, the transfer will be sent free of charge. Banks also tend to offer less competitive exchange rates, so be aware of this.
- MoneyGram. This services facilitates bank account and cash pickup transfers, similar to the services offered by Western Union. Be sure to compare exchange rates and fees. Similar to Western Union, MoneyGram tend to charge higher fees since the transfer can be sent within just minutes.
- TorFX. Sending money to many countries worldwide, TorFX has relatively low fees and competitive exchange rates. You can lodge your transaction online and have it sent directly to your recipients bank account.
- FairFX. This service is online only and can send transfers between Canada and Croatia for relatively low fees and with competitive exchange rates.
- WorldRemit. This company can send the funds to Croatia for typically low fees and a competitive exchange rate. While the transfer takes longer than companies like MoneyGram and Western Union, the low cost is a big bonus.
- PayPal. As long as both you and your recipient have PayPal accounts, you can send money overseas using this service. Accounts are free and easy to set up.
How do I receive money from Croatia in Canada?
In the same way that recipients in Croatia can access their deposits quickly and easily, sending money from Croatia to Canada is facilitated by several banks and online transfer services. If your priority is speedy delivery, your best bet would be an online transfer service like MoneyGram or Western Union. These services deliver funds overseas within minutes and your recipient can collect their money at a number of agencies or pick-up points across the country.
- MoneyGram. This transfer service allows you to receive a transfer in Canada within 10 minutes of the transaction being lodged. Recipients can collect their money at a specified MoneyGram pick-up point.
- PayPal. One of the most recognizable and reliable money transfer services, PayPal facilitates instantaneous transfers between other PayPal accounts and then on to bank accounts. It takes a few days for the money to reach your recipients bank account.
- Western Union. With hundreds of thousands of locations worldwide, Western Union can send funds from Croatia to Canada in just minutes. With higher fees, the cost is worth it if you need the money to arrive in a timely manner.
- TransferWise. This service allows you to send funds overseas from Croatia to Canada, and vice versa. They charge low fees and provide customers with competitive exchange rates.
- TorFX. Much like TransferWise, TorFX transactions can be lodged online for low fees.
- FairFX. FairFX provide service to many countries around the world and charge low fees, while still providing competitive exchange rates and fairly fast turnaround times.
Emergency cash transfers in Croatia
If you find yourself in need of emergency funds while in Croatia, there are a few ways to have money sent to your location.
- Pick-up options. Transfer companies like Western Union and MoneyGram have pick-up points from which you can collect your deposit. Money is usually available within minutes of the transaction being sent from overseas.
- Online transfers. These specialist money transfer companies, like WorldRemit, facilitate quick transfers between bank accounts, usually within one to three business days.
- Travel insurance. Your travel insurance policy should cover you for loss and theft while on vacation. Get in touch with your insurer, but make sure you’re eligible for coverage before submitting a claim.
- Credit cards. If you have a Visa, MasterCard or American Express, you may be able to access emergency funds. Contact your bank or credit card provider to find out more.
Cash pickup locations in Croatia / Western Union / MoneyGram branches in Croatia
Below are a few locations from which to collect MoneyGram and Western Union transfers from in Croatia.
- Fina Dubrovnik
Fina Zagreb 5
Trg Svibanjskih Zrtava 1995 Br 1
Zagreb, 10000 +385-8000080Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 18h30, Saturday 08h00 to 12h00
- Splitza Banka
Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 20h00, Saturday 08h00 to 12h00
- Fina Dubrovnik
Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 18h30, Saturday 08h00 to 12h00
- Hrvastka Posta
Dr. Roka Misetic Bb
Open Monday 08h00 to 17h00, Tuesday to Friday 07h30 to 14h30
- TISAK INC.
Obala SV. Nikole 29Zagreb, 1000072500502Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 16h00
- Sberbank D.D.
Varsavska 9Zagreb, 10000+ 385014801378Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 19h00, Saturday 08h00 to 12h00
- TISAK INC. Dubrovnik-Ploce
5 Frana Supila Br. 5Dubrovnik, 2000072500502Open Monday to Saturday 07h00 to 21h30
- Sberbanks D.D.
Vukovarska 36Dubrovnik, 20000+38 5020358901Open Monday to Friday 08h00 to 17h00, Saturday 09h00 to 12h00
Tips for picking up cash in Croatia
The Government of Canada advises Canadian travellers to exercise a normal degree of caution while in Croatia. While crime is relatively low, you should still be vigilant while travelling, especially if you’re collecting money from a pick-up point or ATM. Be sure to get there during opening hours and try to take someone along with you. Avoid public transportation with large sums of money and put your cash in a safe place as soon as possible.
What are the steps to send money to Croatia?
Depending on the transfer service you choose, you’ll be asked to supply certain personal and financial details. Some online services require that you open an account before sending a transfer.
You’ll likely be asked to supply the following information:
- Your contact details
- Email address
- Bank account information
- Your recipient’s personal details and bank account information
Once the transfer has been completed, you’ll receive a tracking number to use as reference when making enquiries about your transaction.