Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Desjardins Student Cash Back Visa review
Earn some cash back for next semester’s textbooks with this student credit card.
No longer offered in the market
The Desjardins Student Cash Back Visa is no longer available. However, we’ve kept the information online for those who are interested.
You can compare more Desjardins credit cards here.
The Desjardins Student Cash Back Visa is a good credit card option for Canadian college and university students because it carries no annual fee and offers up to 1% cash back on all purchases. If you’re a student who isn’t keen on big travel perks and simply just need a credit card to get by for your everyday purchases, consider the Desjardins Student Cash Back Visa.
- Think about this card if you like getting cash back and don’t want to pay the annual fees.
- Consider a different card if you’re looking for more robust benefits.
- No minimum annual income is required to apply for this card.
It really is all about the no annual fee and getting cash back for your purchases, and if you’re a cash-strapped college student and just need a card to get by, this card just might be for you.
- Good cash advances – receive up to $2,500 a day from anywhere in the world, which for a student, is a hefty amount.
- Zero liability – in the event of a fraudulent transaction, you are free of any liability made against your card.
- Purchase protection – offers coverage on select items for 90 days
from purchase date in the event of loss or damage.
- Financing – receive Accord D financing on items that are above your current spending habits.
- No up-front fees – no annual fees and no supplementary card fees.
- Mobile payments – easy, free and secure to pay using the Google Pay or Apple Pay tap feature with your mobile phone.
- Visa Checkout – enjoy protection of privacy and faster checkouts when purchasing things online.
- Mobile device insurance Get up to $1,000 back if your cell phone, smartphone or tablet is lost, stolen, damaged or has a mechanical failure.
- Personalize your card – choose the image you want to have displayed on your card.
- Free coverage for short trips – receive travel insurance on trips of 3 days or less outside your province of residence
- Car rental discounts – receive up to 15% off select Hertz locations worldwide
- Travel assistance service –
What to watch out for
- Limited travel insurance – you’ll only get 3 days of out-of-province coverage and you’ll have to purchase a separate travel insurance plan for longer trips.
- High interest rates – at 19.9%, it is fairly high, especially for students where income might fluctuate.
- Conversion fees – all transactions made in foreign currency will be converted to Canadian dollars and you will be hit with a 2.5% conversion fee of the transaction amount.
- Very low return on cash back – you earn a maximum of 1% on all purchases so if you spend $500 a month, you’re only going to get $5 cash back
- Few benefits – you won’t receive comprehensive travel insurance and roadside assistance.
What should I know before I apply
How to apply
- Head to the Desjardins website to begin your application.
- Complete the application online, which includes providing your complete name, email address, social insurance number, birth date, employment status, financial information and other pertinent details.
- Review and submit your application.