CIBC Aventura Visa Card review
Earn flexible rewards and get a generous welcome bonus when you sign up for this fee-free card.Earn up to 10,000 Aventura Points. Get 7,500 bonus Aventura Points when you make your first purchase. Plus, earn up to 2,500 bonus Aventura Points when you complete a series of five simple tasks within 60 days.
Purchase Interest Rate
The CIBC Aventura Visa Card is a no-frills travel rewards card with no annual fee. You’ll collect 1 Aventura Point for every $1 you spend on gas, groceries, drug store purchases and travel through the CIBC Rewards Centre, and 1 Aventura Point for every $2 you spend elsewhere.
- Think about this card if you want flexible rewards and no annual fee.
- Choose something else if you want comprehensive benefits or low interest.
- You’ll need to earn a minimum income of $15,000 to qualify for this card.
If you’re looking for a low-cost travel card that rewards you for making daily purchases like gas and groceries, then you might benefit from the CIBC Aventura Visa Card.
- No annual fee. You won’t have to pay an annual fee to keep your account active.
- More points for daily purchases. Get double the points for spending money on gas, groceries and drug store purchases.
- Welcome offer. Earn up to 10,000 Aventura Points. Get 7,500 bonus Aventura Points when you make your first purchase. Plus, earn up to 2,500 bonus Aventura Points when you complete a series of five simple tasks within 60 days.
- Flexible rewards. Use your points to pay for travel, merchandise, gift cards and more.
- Purchase assurance. Protect the purchases you make on your card against loss, theft or damage for up to 90 days
- Extended warranty. Get an extra year of warranty on eligible products you buy with your card.
- Common carrier insurance. You’ll be insured for up to $100,000 every time you travel by plane, ferry, train or bus.
- Car rental insurance. Rest easy with collision and damage insurance on any car rental you pay for with your card.
- Optional payment protection. Pay a little extra to get additional balance protection insurance in the event that you can’t make your minimum payments.
- Fraud alerts. Get instant alerts when suspicious activity is detected on your account.
- Security features. Enjoy peace of mind with encrypted cards and Visa Checkout services for online payments.
- Free additional cards. Order up to three additional cards at no extra cost.
- Easy pay. Tap to pay with contactless apps like Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay.
What to watch out for
- High interest. Interest rates can run as high as the industry standard 19.99% for outstanding balances and 22.99% for cash advances.
- No cash back. You won’t be able to exchange your points for cash in hand.
- Strict criteria for welcome bonus. There are certain tasks you’ll need to complete to be eligible for a portion of your welcome bonus.
- Limited benefits. This card doesn’t come with extra benefits like extended travel medical, mobile phone insurance or roadside assistance.
What criteria do I need to fill to get my welcome bonus?
To be eligible for your 2,500 Aventura Points bonus, you’ll need to complete a couple of simple steps in your first 60 days. Each task is worth 500 points.
- Share your email address with CIBC
- Sign up for eStatements for your card
- Add an authorized user to your card
- Hold any eligible CIBC Chequing Account
- Add your Aventura Visa card to Apple, Samsung or Google Pay
On top of these tasks, you’ll also get 7,500 bonus Aventura Points when you make your first purchase.
What should I know before I apply?
How to apply
- Head to the CIBC website to begin your application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
If you’re a frequent flyer who enjoys earning discounts on travel and other purchases, the CIBC Aventura Visa Card might be a suitable fit for you. This card gives you a higher return on points for daily purchases like gas and groceries and comes with basic insurance and flexible rewards.