CIBC Aventura Visa Card for Students review
Get a decent return on travel rewards and earn student discounts when you sign up for this fee-free card.Get 1 Aventura Point for every $1 you spend on gas, groceries and other daily essentials, and 1 Point for every $2 you spend on everything else.
Purchase Interest Rate
The CIBC Aventura Visa Card for Students offers a decent return on travel rewards with no annual fee. Get up to 2,500 bonus Aventura Points when you sign up and complete a series of simple tasks.. This card also comes with a free SPC membership, purchase protection, car rental insurance and a generous welcome offer.
- Think about this card if you want flexible rewards and no annual fee.
- Choose something else if you want low interest rates and cashback.
- There are no minimum income requirements to qualify for this card.
If you’re looking for a low-cost travel card that’s tailored to meet your needs as a student, then you might benefit from the CIBC Aventura Visa Card for Students.
- No annual fee. Earn flexible rewards and benefits for no annual fee.
- More points for daily purchases. Earn 1 point for every dollar you spend on daily purchases like gas and groceries.
- Welcome offer. Get 1 Aventura Point for every $1 you spend on gas, groceries and other daily essentials, and 1 Point for every $2 you spend on everything else.
- Flexible rewards. Use your points to pay for travel expenses like flights and hotels or other rewards like merchandise and gift cards.
- Free SPC membership. Get a free Student Price Card and save money with 450 partner brands.
- Purchase assurance. Relax knowing that your purchases are insured against loss, theft or damage for 90 days
after you buy them.
- Extended warranty. Extend your warranty by one year for all eligible purchases you make with your card.
- Common carrier insurance. You’ll be insured for up to $100,000 every time you travel by plane, ferry, train or bus.
- Car rental insurance. Get complimentary collision and damage insurance when you pay for a car rental on your card.
- Optional payment protection. Pay an extra fee to cover your credit card payments in the event that you lose your job or get injured and can no longer work.
- Fraud alerts. Get notified quickly about unauthorized use of your credit card with custom email and online alerts.
- Free additional cards. Order up to three additional cards at no extra cost.
- Tap and pay. Add your card to Apple Pay, Samsung Pay or Google Pay for quick and easy payments.
- Enhanced security. Enjoy safe payments with encrypted chip-enabled cards and Visa Checkout services for online payments.
What to watch out for
- Low return on points. Get up to 2,500 bonus Aventura Points when you sign up and complete a series of simple tasks..
- Interest rates. You’ll pay an industry standard 19.99% interest on your outstanding balances and 22.99% interest on cash advances and balance transfers.
- No cash back. You won’t be able to exchange your points for cash in hand.
- Strict criteria for welcome bonus. You’ll need to meet certain criteria to be eligible for a part of your welcome bonus.
- Limited benefits. You won’t get extra benefits like extended travel medical, mobile phone insurance or roadside assistance with this card.
What criteria do I need to fill to get my welcome bonus?
If you want to collect your bonus Aventura Points when you sign up, you have to complete a laundry list of activities in your first 60 days. Each task is worth 500 points.
- Share your email address with CIBC
- Sign up for eStatements for your card
- Add an authorized user to your card
- Hold any eligible CIBC Chequing Account
- Add your Aventura Visa card to Apple, Samsung or Google Pay
What should I know before I apply?
How to apply
- Head to the CIBC website to begin your application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
If you’re a student who enjoys earning discounts on travel and other purchases, the CIBC Aventura Visa Card for Students could be a good fit for you. This card gives you a higher return on points for daily purchases like gas and groceries, and comes with a free SPC membership, flexible rewards and decent benefits.