Brim World Mastercard review
Earn accelerated rewards at eligible retailers and save when you spend money abroad with no foreign transaction fees.You'll earn 1.5 Brim Rewards for every dollar you spend on your card, plus up to 30 points per dollar when you shop with eligible retailers.
Purchase Interest Rate
The Brim World Mastercard is an all-in-one travel and cashback credit card that lets you earn points whenever you shop. You'll earn 1.5 Brim Rewards for every dollar you spend on your card, plus up to 30 points per dollar when you shop with eligible retailers. This card also comes with a suite of travel insurance as well as mobile phone protection and other special perks. Find out how you can sign up today and pay only $99 per year to maintain this card.
- Get this card if you’d like to earn accelerated rewards at your favourite vendors and you want to take advantage of several forms of insurance.
- Choose something else if you’d prefer a more conventional rewards program or you don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- There is no minimum annual income specified on the website.
The Brim World Mastercard is an innovative credit card that lets you earn more rewards for visiting your favourite stores repeatedly. All you need to do is look at the list of eligible merchants on Brim’s Marketplace to find out which stores are eligible for top-ups. Then, pay for the products you buy with your card and your points will automatically multiply.You'll get a redemption rate of around $0.01 for every point you earn, which means you'll have to spend around $67 to get $1 in rewards with this card (with an earn rate of 1.5 points per dollar). You may also be able to earn up to 30 points per dollar on special offers, which means your cash will rack up much faster.
The Brim World Mastercard also offers a hybrid mix of cashback, travel and reward points so you’re not boxed in when it comes time to collect. You can redeem your points for cashback towards your overall balance or cash them in at best market value for specific transactions just by swiping on the ones you’re interested in paying off.
Which merchants does Brim work with?
You can take advantage of available offers by making purchases with Brim’s list of inCard and online merchants, depending on how you prefer to shop. Some examples of inCard merchants that Brim works with include Kobo, Hello Fresh, Dropbox and Giftagram. Examples of vendors accessible exclusively through Brim’s eShop include lululemon, Nike, David’s Tea and Patagonia. You can check the app for a current list of available merchants in each category.
- Accelerated rewards. Get more points when you shop with the vendors that Brim partners with both for in-shop and online purchases.
- Easy redemption. Use your points to pay off specific transactions or put your points towards your overall account balance.
- Zero-interest installment plan. Finance your next large purchase at 19.99% interest (for a small fee).
- Friend referrals. Earn up to 2,000 points for every friend you refer who signs up for a Brim credit card (worth up to $20 per referral).
- 0% foreign transaction fees. Avoid paying a 2.5% foreign exchange fee when you spend money overseas.
- Free global Wi-Fi. Enjoy unlimited access to over 1 million Boingo hotspots around the world whenever you travel or want to connect in your city.
- Airport lounge access. Take advantage of a free or reduced price for access to airport lounges around the world with LoungeKey.
- Multiple forms of insurance. Protect yourself with the many forms of insurance offered with the Brim World Mastercard (with coverage descriptions/amounts outlined below).
|Insurance type||Description of coverage||Coverage amount|
|Purchase protection||Protects any purchase you make on your card in the event that the item you buy gets damaged or stolen within 90 days of payment||Up to $1,000 per incident|
|Extended warranty||Automatically doubles the coverage you get from your manufacturer’s warranty||Doubles your warranty protection for up to 1 additional year (maxing out at $25,000 per cardholder)|
|Common carrier insurance||Covers expenses for injuries you sustain traveling on multi-passenger vehicles such as buses, trains, planes and ferries||$150,000 per insured person and $500,000 per accident|
|Mobile device insurance||Pays to replace or repair your phone if it gets lost, damaged or stolen within a certain timeframe||Up to $1,000 per incident|
|Event ticket protection||Covers the cost of any event ticket you purchase if you can’t attend due to a covered reason (such as medical emergency or transportation delay)||Up to $1,000 per incident|
|Out-of-province travel medical||Insures you for expenses incurred if you get injured or sick while travelling outside of your province of residence||$5 million for up to 8 days of travel for persons under the age of 65|
|Flight delay insurance||Provides coverage for expenses such as meals and accommodation if your flight gets delayed for four or more hours||$500 per day, max of $1,000 per occurrence for all insured|
|Baggage insurance||Covers the cost of your baggage if it gets delayed or lost in transit for six hours or more||$1,000 per day, max of $2,000 per occurrence for all insured|
|Hotel and motel burglary insurance||Pays for the loss or damage of your personal items if your hotel gets burglarized during your stay||$500 per occurrence|
|Car rental insurance||Insures you against loss and injury if your rental car gets stolen or damaged in an accident||For damage: Up to $65,000. For injury/death: Up to $100,000 per insured. For belongings: $1,000 per incident.|
|Check with Brim for up-to-date insurance amounts – and remember that insurance is only valid for items and reservations charged in full to your Brim World Mastercard.|
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. You’ll have to pay an annual fee of $99 to maintain the Brim World Mastercard.
- Low point value. Points are only worth $0.01 so you have to spend $100 to earn $1 in return (but there are opportunities to earn accelerated rewards).
- Rewards cap. You’ll only earn everyday rewards for purchases worth up to $25,000 per year, after which you’ll only earn accelerated rewards with partner merchants.
- Additional cards cost extra. You’ll be charged $20 for every additional card that you add to your account.
- Unbanked card. This card can’t be linked to your current bank account, which means you’ll need to log in to a separate platform to access your balance and redeem points.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Brim World Mastercard you need to:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old
Required documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your social insurance number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply
- Visit Brim’s website to be directed to your Brim World Mastercard application.
- Complete the application with details that include your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The Brim World Mastercard is an innovative hybrid between a cashback and travel card that lets you earn accelerated rewards from the places you shop the most. This card comes with comprehensive travel insurance and a number of travel perks, such as zero foreign transaction fees and airport lounge access. It also comes with benefits such as mobile phone insurance, free Wi-Fi, zero-interest financing and online budgeting tools.