Brim World Elite Mastercard review
Earn accelerated rewards and enjoy comprehensive travel insurance when you sign up for this premium credit card.
The Brim World Elite Mastercard is an innovative credit card that lets you earn more points when you shop for deals in the Brim Marketplace.
Purchase Interest Rate
You’ll earn 2 Brim Rewards for every dollar you spend on your card, plus up to 30 points per dollar when you shop with eligible retailers. This card also comes with a number of perks such as travel insurance, airport lounge access, mobile device insurance, no foreign transaction fees and free global Wi-Fi.
- Get this card if you want to enjoy a full suite of travel perks, and you’d like to earn accelerated points for shopping at the same stores regularly.
- Choose something else if you want to earn frequent flyer miles or you would rather not pay an annual fee.
- There is no minimum annual income required to qualify.
The Brim World Elite Mastercard is a new class of credit card that lets you earn accelerated rewards when you shop regularly at select stores. All you need to do is find out if your favourite store is on Brim’s list of partner merchants. From there, you can make repeat visits and pay for the products you buy with your card to watch your points multiply automatically.
You can also shop with online merchants in Brim’s Marketplace to earn up to 30 points per dollar on your purchases. To carry out these types of transactions, you’ll need to visit the store’s online site through the Brim app. Then you can make purchases with your Brim credit card to accumulate points on your account.
You’ll get a redemption rate of around $0.01 for every point you earn, which means you’ll have to spend around $50 to get $1 in rewards with this card (with an earn rate of 2 points per dollar spent). As mentioned, there are also plenty of opportunities to earn accelerated rewards, which means your cash will likely rack up much faster.
Which merchants does Brim work with?
Brim offers accelerated rewards through its list of inCard and online merchants, depending on how you prefer to shop. Some examples of inCard merchants that Brim works with include Kobo, HelloFresh, Dropbox and Giftagram. Examples of vendors that you can access exclusively through Brim’s eShop include lululemon, Nike, David’s Tea and Patagonia. You can check the app for a current list of available merchants in each category.
- Accelerated rewards. Earn more rewards when you make purchases with the merchants that Brim partners with for both in-shop and online purchases.
- Easy redemption. Just swipe a transaction to pay it off with your points or use your points to pay down your overall account balance.
- No interest financing. Finance your next large purchase at 0% interest when you pay a small fee.
- Refer a friend. Get an extra 2,000 points for every friend that you refer who ends up signing up for a Brim World Elite Mastercard.
- 0% foreign transaction fees. Save 2.5% on foreign transaction fees when you travel or spend money abroad.
- Free global Wi-Fi. Enjoy unlimited access to over 1 million Boingo hotspots around the world whenever you travel.
- Airport lounge access. Get cheap and easy access to airport lounges around the world with LoungeKey.
- Multiple forms of insurance. Protect your trips, events and belongings with a range of insurance (with coverage descriptions/amounts outlined below).
Description of coverage
Gives you 90-day purchase protection on any item that you buy with your card
Up to $1,000 per incident
Automatically doubles the coverage you get from your manufacturer’s warranty
Gives you supplementary coverage for up to one additional year
Common carrier insurance
Helps you pay for any costs you may incur as a result of being injured while travelling in a multi-passenger, commercial vehicle
$150,000 per insured person and $500,000 per accident
Mobile device insurance
Pays to replace or repair your phone if your mobile gets lost, damaged or stolen within a certain time frame
Up to $1,000 per incident
Event ticket protection
Reimburses you for the ticket cost of any event that you can’t attend for a covered reason (such as a medical emergency)
Up to $1,000 per incident
Out-of-province travel medical
Covers your expenses if you get sick or injured while travelling outside of your province of residence
$5 million for up to 15 days of travel if you’re under 65, and 3 days if you’re over 65
Flight delay insurance
Gives you spending money to cover meals and accommodation if your flight gets delayed for 4 or more hours
$500 per day, max of $1,000 per occurrence for all insured
Covers the cost of your baggage if it gets delayed or lost in transit for 6 hours or more
$1,000 per day, max of $2,000 per occurrence for all insured
Hotel and motel burglary insurance
Gives you compensation for the loss or damage of your personal items if your hotel is broken into during your stay
$1,000 per occurrence
Car rental insurance
Insures you against loss and injury if your rental car gets stolen or damaged in an accident
For damage: Up to $85,000. For injury/death: Up to $100,000 per insured. For belongings: $1,000 per incident.
Trip cancellation insurance
Reimburses you for non-refundable deposits on pre-paid travel arrangements and cancellation penalties that a transportation carrier or tour guide may charge
$2,000 per insured up to $5,000 per trip
Trip interruption insurance
May cover extra costs if you need to return home sooner or later than planned and reimburses you for non-refundable portions of unused travel arrangements
$5,000 per insured up to $25,000 per trip
|Check with Brim for up-to-date insurance amounts – and remember that insurance is only valid for items and reservations charged in full to your Brim World Elite Mastercard.|
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. You’ll be stuck paying an annual fee of $199 to maintain the Brim World Elite Mastercard, though this fee may be waived in your first year.
- Low point value. Points are only worth $0.01, so you have to spend $50 to earn one dollar in rewards (with an earn rate of 2 points per dollar spent on your card).
- Cap on rewards. You’ll only earn everyday rewards for purchases worth up to $25,000 per year, after which you’ll only earn accelerated rewards with partner merchants.
- No free additional cards. You’ll have to pay an extra $50 for every additional card that you want to add to your account.
- Not affiliated with a bank. This is a standalone card, which means you’ll have to log into a separate account to manage your transactions.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Brim World Elite Mastercard, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old.
Required documents and information
- Your name, residential status and contact information.
- Your Social Insurance Number and date of birth.
- Your email address and phone number.
How to apply
- Visit Brim’s website to be directed to your Brim World Elite Mastercard application.
- Complete the application with details such as your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The Brim World Elite Mastercard offers a number of perks and benefits for a $199 annual fee. You’ll earn two points for every dollar you spend, along with accelerated points when you shop with Brim’s partners. This card also comes with comprehensive travel insurance, airport lounge access, no foreign transaction fees, mobile device protection and free Boingo Wi-Fi.