Brim World Elite Mastercard review
Earn accelerated rewards and enjoy comprehensive travel insurance when you sign up for this premium credit card.
The Brim World Elite Mastercard is an innovative credit card that lets you earn more points with Brim Rewards.
$0 annual fee for the first year ($199 thereafter)
2 points per $1 spent
|Welcome Offer||Collect up to $500 worth of bonus points when you shop with Brim retailers for the first time using your Brim World Elite Mastercard.|
|Rewards||You’ll get a redemption rate of around $0.01 for every point you earn.|
|Purchase Interest Rate||19.99%|
|Cash Advance Rate||24.99%|
|Balance Transfer Rate||19.99%|
You’ll Collect up to $500 worth of bonus points when you shop with Brim retailers for the first time using your Brim World Elite Mastercard. This card also comes with a number of perks such as travel insurance, airport lounge access, mobile device insurance, no foreign transaction fees and free global Wi-Fi.
- Get this card if you want to enjoy a full suite of travel perks, and you’d like to earn accelerated points on hundreds of offers at your favourite stores.
- Choose something else if you would rather not pay an annual fee or you would prefer to have a credit card linked to one of Canada’s banks.
- There is no minimum annual income required to qualify.
What is Brim Financial?
Brim Financial is a leading fintech company that offers a suite of credit cards. It is the first non-bank credit card issuer in Canada and is fully licensed by Mastercard. It promotes its own online shopping platform and offers an award-winning digital app so that you can track your rewards and budget for expenses. All of Brim’s credit cards come with an impressive array of benefits and a high return on rewards.
How does Brim Financial work?
Brim lets you earn accelerated rewards when you make first-time or regular purchases with its list of partners. You can earn accelerated points per dollar spent when you shop for offers in-store or through the Brim eShop.
With the Brim World Elite Mastercard, you’ll also earn 2 points for every dollar you spend on everyday purchases with non-Brim partners. This means you’ll only need to spend $50 to earn $1 in rewards or cash back.
Which merchants does Brim work with?
Brim offers accelerated rewards through its list of inCard and online merchants, depending on how you prefer to shop. Some examples of inCard merchants that Brim works with include Kobo, HelloFresh, Dropbox and Giftagram. Examples of vendors that you can access exclusively through Brim’s eShop include Walmart, Alibaba, lululemon, Nike, David’s Tea and Patagonia. You can check the app for a current list of available merchants in each category.
- Accelerated rewards. Earn 2 points for every dollar you spend on your card and more points per dollar spent when you shop with Brim partners in person or online.
- First-time bonus points. Collect up to $500 worth of bonus points when you shop with Brim retailers for the first time using your Brim World Elite Mastercard.
- Free global Wi-Fi. Enjoy unlimited access to over 1 million Boingo hotspots around the world whenever you travel.
- Airport lounge access. Get cheap and easy access to airport lounges around the world with LoungeKey.
- Instant card experience. Apply for a credit card through the Brim app and begin transacting through Apple Pay within seconds of being approved after completing your application.
- 0% foreign transaction fees. Save 2.5% on foreign transaction fees when you travel or spend money abroad.
- Budget and monitoring tools. Track your spending history through the online app and budgeting software.
- No interest financing. Finance any transaction over $500 and free up available credit with embedded Installment Pay.
- Multiple forms of insurance. Protect your trips, events and belongings with a range of insurance (with coverage descriptions/amounts outlined below).
Description of coverage
Gives you 90-day purchase protection on any item that you buy with your card
Up to $1,000 per incident
Automatically doubles the coverage you get from your manufacturer’s warranty
Gives you supplementary coverage for up to one additional year
Common carrier insurance
Helps you pay for any costs you may incur as a result of being injured while travelling in a multi-passenger, commercial vehicle
$150,000 per insured person and $500,000 per accident
Mobile device insurance
Pays to replace or repair your phone if your mobile gets lost, damaged or stolen within a certain time frame
Up to $1,500 per incident
Event ticket protection
Reimburses you for the ticket cost of any event that you can’t attend for a covered reason (such as a medical emergency)
Up to $1,000 per incident
Out-of-province travel medical
Covers your expenses if you get sick or injured while travelling outside of your province of residence
$5 million for up to 15 days of travel if you’re under 65, and 3 days if you’re over 65
Flight delay insurance
Gives you spending money to cover meals and accommodation if your flight gets delayed for 4 or more hours
$500 per day, max of $1,000 per occurrence for all insured
Covers the cost of your baggage if it gets delayed or lost in transit for 6 hours or more
$1,000 per day, max of $2,000 per occurrence for all insured
Hotel and motel burglary insurance
Gives you compensation for the loss or damage of your personal items if your hotel is broken into during your stay
$2,500 per occurrence
Car rental insurance
Insures you against loss and injury if your rental car gets stolen or damaged in an accident
For damage: Up to $85,000. For injury/death: Up to $100,000 per insured. For belongings: $1,000 per incident.
Trip cancellation insurance
Reimburses you for non-refundable deposits on pre-paid travel arrangements and cancellation penalties that a transportation carrier or tour guide may charge
$2,000 per insured up to $5,000 per trip
Trip interruption insurance
May cover extra costs if you need to return home sooner or later than planned and reimburses you for non-refundable portions of unused travel arrangements
$5,000 per insured up to $25,000 per trip
|Check with Brim for up-to-date insurance amounts – and remember that insurance is only valid for items and reservations charged in full to your Brim World Elite Mastercard.|
- Contactless payments. You can integrate your card with mobile wallets, including Apple, Google, Samsung, Fitbit and Garmin Pay.
- Security toggle. Disable online and foreign purchases or lock your card instantly by toggling a switch in the mobile app.
- Easy redemption. Just swipe a transaction to pay it off with your points or use your points to pay down your overall account balance.
- Refer a friend. Refer a friend and you'll get 2000 points ($20 value).
- Brim family cards. Give cards out to your family members so that you can set spending limits and get purchase notifications to manage household spending.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. You’ll be stuck paying an annual fee of $199 to maintain the Brim World Elite Mastercard, though this fee may be waived in your first year.
- Cap on rewards. You’ll only earn 2 points per dollar spent for purchases worth up to $25,000 per year, after which you’ll go down to a base rate of 2 point per dollar spent. You’ll earn 2% back in points up to $25K annual spend. Above this, you’ll still earn 1% back in points on all purchases. Brim Rewards fall outside of this spend threshold.
- No free additional cards. You’ll have to pay an extra $50 for every additional card that you want to add to your account.
- Not affiliated with a bank. This is a standalone card, which means you’ll have to log into a separate account to manage your transactions.
How do Brim Rewards work?
Brim’s rewards platform lets you earn more points for making everyday purchases. You can earn up to 30 points for every dollar you spend with hundreds of offers in the Brim digital app. Your points will accumulate on your Brim account and you can redeem them when you collect enough.
The way you redeem rewards with Brim is a little bit different from a conventional credit card company. This is because Brim doesn’t offer a rewards catalogue where you can exchange points for merchandise, gift cards or travel. Instead, it allows you to swipe and pay off select credit card transactions or you can apply your points as a general statement credit.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Brim World Elite Mastercard, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old.
Required documents and information
- Your name, residential status and contact information.
- Your date of birth.
- Your email address and phone number.
How to apply
- Visit Brim’s website to be directed to your Brim World Elite Mastercard application.
- Complete the application with details such as your name, email address, and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The Brim World Elite Mastercard offers a number of perks and benefits for a $199 annual fee. You’ll earn two points for every dollar you spend, along with accelerated points when you shop with Brim’s partners. This card also comes with comprehensive travel insurance, airport lounge access, no foreign transaction fees, mobile device protection and free Boingo Wi-Fi.