Brim Mastercard review
Earn up to 30% back in points with Brim Rewards, plus 1% everywhere else you spend with the Brim Mastercard.
Redeem points on everything that you can buy with a Mastercard – whether it be a flight, a new cell phone or winter tires for your car.
Purchase Interest Rate
|Product Name||Brim Mastercard|
|Reward||Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on everyday purchases, and up to 30 points per $1 spent when you shop with Brim partners.|
|Welcome Offer||if you have a favorite coffee shop, you could earn 3 points per dollar spent on your first visit, 5 points on your second, 10 points on your fifth, and so on. Some locations aren’t included in the BRIM marketplace, and so you won’t be able to double or triple your points at these locations|
|Purchase Interest Rate||19.99%|
|Cash Advance Rate||24.99%|
|Balance Transfer Rate||N/A|
|Minimum Credit Limit||$500|
- Get this card if you want great value in a no-fee credit card with features like no FX fees, unlimited rewards, 1% everywhere else you spend, free Wifi, mobile apps and more.
- Choose something else if you would like your credit card to be linked to one of Canada’s big banks.
- There is no minimum annual income specified on the website.
What is Brim Financial?
Brim Financial is pushing the boundaries of traditional banking to better meet the needs of its customers. It is the first non-bank credit card issuer in Canada and is fully licensed by Mastercard. It operates its own online shopping platform and offers an award-winning digital app available for iOS and Android to help you track your finances. You’ll use the Brim app to manage your Brim credit card and redeem your points for rewards.
How does Brim Financial work?
Brim lets you earn accelerate points and up to points per dollar spent when you shop with its list of partners, whether in-store or through the online Brim eShop. All you have to do is check out the current offers that Brim advertises through its app. You may be able to earn extra points for shopping with select retailers by threshold spend or frequency of your purchases, or earn bonus points just for shopping with a merchant for the first time.
All you have to do to start earning points is spend money on your card. Brim’s points are worth cent each, so you need to spend $100 with the Brim Mastercard to earn 1 dollar in rewards or cashback. That said, you can also earn between 2 and 30 points per dollar spent with retailers offering “surge” rewards to build up your points much faster.
Benefits of the Brim Mastercard
- Zero fees. Maximize your savings with no annual fee for the Brim Mastercard.
- Accelerated rewards. Earn 1 point for every $1 spent on everyday purchases, and up to 30 points per $1 spent when you shop with Brim partners.
- First-time bonus points. Earn up to $200 worth of bonus points when you shop with Brim retailers for the first time through the Brim mobile app.
- 0% foreign transaction fees. Avoid paying extra fees when spend abroad or shop online.
- Free global Wi-Fi. Get access to over 1 million Boingo hotspots around the world.
- Budget and monitoring tools. Track your spending history and get warned about fraudulent activity through the online app and budgeting software.
- Installment pay. Finance your next large purchase at 0% interest.
- Multiple forms of insurance. Protect yourself with the many forms of insurance offered with the Brim Mastercard (with coverage descriptions/amounts outlined below).
|Insurance type||Description of coverage||Coverage amount|
|Purchase protection||Protects any purchase you make on your card in the event that the item you buy gets damaged or stolen within 90 days of payment||Up to $1,000 per incident|
|Extended warranty||Automatically doubles the coverage you get from your manufacturer’s warranty||Doubles your warranty protection for up to 1 additional year (maxing out at $25,000 per cardholder)|
|Common carrier insurance||Covers expenses for injuries you sustain traveling on multi-passenger vehicles such as buses, trains, planes and ferries||$100,000 per insured person and $300,000 per accident|
|Mobile device insurance||Pays to replace or repair your phone if it gets lost, damaged or stolen within a certain timeframe||Up to $500 per incident|
|Event ticket protection||Covers the cost of any event ticket you purchase if you can’t attend due to a covered reason (such as medical emergency or transportation delay)||Up to $1,000 per incident|
|Check with Brim for up-to-date insurance amounts – and remember that insurance is only valid for items and reservations charged in full to your Brim World Mastercard.|
- Contactless payments. You can integrate your card with mobile wallets including Apple, Google, Samsung, Fitbit and Garmin Pay.
- Security toggle. Disable online and foreign purchases or lock your card instantly by toggling a switch in the mobile app.
- Unrestricted redemption. Redeem points on just about anything that you can buy with a Mastercard – whether it be a flight, a new cell phone or winter tires for your car.
- Refer a friend bonus. Refer a friend and you'll get 2000 points ($20 value).
- Brim family cards. Give cards out to your family members over the age of 13, so you can set spending limits and get purchase notifications to manage household spending.
What to watch out for
- Fewer benefits than other Brim cards. You won’t get benefits such as comprehensive travel insurance unless you sign up for a Brim World Mastercard or a Brim World Elite Mastercard, but you’ll still get free Wifi, no FX, and access to Brim Rewards partners such as Sunwing, Avis, Budget, Expedia and more.
- Unbanked credit card. You’ll need to maintain your Brim account separately from your normal bank account by setting it up as a payee like you would a credit card from a different bank though this might not be an issue for some card holders.
How do Brim Rewards work?
Brim’s innovative rewards platform lets you earn more rewards on everyday purchases with hundreds of exclusive offers from popular retailers. You can earn up to points per dollar spent when you shop in-store or online through the Brim eShop. Your points will accumulate on your Brim account and you can redeem them when you collect enough.
Brim doesn’t offer a rewards catalogue, so you’re not forced to redeem your points for gift cards or merchandise. You also won’t be able to use your points to book travel directly. Instead, you can apply the cash value of your points to your credit card statement to pay off part of your balance. You can also apply your points to pay off a specific transaction on your account meaning that you can purchase something on sale or at best market value at any merchant or travel company, and apply your points to that.
What should I know before I apply
How to apply for a Brim Financial Mastercard
- Click Go to site on this page to be securely directed to Brim Financial‘s website and click “Apply Now” to start your Brim Mastercard application.
- Complete the one minute application with details that include your name, email address, and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The Brim Mastercard lets you earn points for shopping in-store or online through the Brim eShop. You can access over 250 offers through Brim’s online app and earn up to points per dollar spent at select retailers. The Brim Mastercard also comes with a host of benefits including free Wi-Fi, no foreign transaction fees, zero-interest financing, mobile device protection, common carrier insurance and online budgeting tools.