Alaska Airlines World Elite Mastercard review
Get premium travel perks and a generous welcome bonus when you spend money on this frequent flyer card.Earn 3 Miles on every $1 you spend on tickets, vacation packages, and cargo services from Alaska Airlines, and earn 1 Mile per $1 on all other eligible purchases. Cash in on an extra 30,000 miles when you spend over $1,000 on your card in the first 90 days
Up to 3 miles per $1 spent
The Alaska Airlines World Elite Mastercard is a first-rate loyalty card offered by MBNA bank. It lets you earn miles to put towards Alaska Airlines flight. You’ll earn one mile for every dollar you spend on everyday purchases and three miles on Alaska Airlines purchases. You’ll also get a generous welcome bonus as well as travel perks like an annual companion fare, car rental discounts and free checked baggage.
- Think about this card if you’re a frequent flyer with Alaska Airlines and you want a welcome bonus.
- Choose something else if you’re looking for low interest or you don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- You’ll need to have an individual income of $80,000 or a household income of $150,000 to apply for this credit card.
If you’re a frequent flyer and you want to earn miles to put towards flights and other purchases, then the Alaska Airlines World Elite Mastercard could be just the ticket.
- High earn rate. Earn three miles for every dollar you spend on purchases with Alaska Airlines and one mile for everything else.
- Welcome offer. Earn 3 Miles on every $1 you spend on tickets, vacation packages, and cargo services from Alaska Airlines, and earn 1 Mile per $1 on all other eligible purchases. Cash in on an extra 30,000 miles when you spend over $1,000 on your card in the first 90 days
- Companion fare. Book a round-trip flight and earn one companion flight per year for a loved one to accompany you for a nominal fee
- Free checked baggage. Get one complimentary checked bag per passenger when you fly (good for up to six people on the same reservation)
- Purchase assurance. Protect the purchases you make on your card against loss and damage with purchase assurance and extended warranty coverage.
- Car rental discounts. Save a minimum of 10% when you rent a car with Avis and Budget in Canada or the US (and 5% off internationally)
- Travel perks. Take advantage of embedded travel perks like lost luggage, ticket replacement and emergency card replacement assistance when you travel.
- Concierge services. Work with dedicated concierge services to book travel and to find out about the latest deals on dining, events, entertainment and more.
- Price protection. Lock in a refund for the difference of any products or tickets you buy if you find a better deal within 60 days of purchase (up to $500 per year)
- Zero-liability insurance. Avoid paying for fraudulent purchases on your account with zero-liability insurance.
- Many partner airlines. Miles can be redeemed for flights with 15 Alaska Airlines partners including Finnair, Qantas, Emirates and British Airways.
- Enhanced security. Purchases are protected by security features like PIN-protected microchips, verification codes and online fraud prevention mechanisms.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. It costs $99 per year to maintain this card.
- High interest. Interest rates will cost you 19.99% on purchases and 22.99%on cash advances and balance transfers.
- High minimum income. You’ll need to make at least $80,000 per year to qualify (or $150,000 in household income).
- Rigid rewards. You’ll have to use your rewards with Alaska Airlines, and they’re not transferrable to other MBNA rewards programs.
- Few benefits. You won’t get benefits like travel medical insurance or roadside assistance to compensate for the high fee you pay.
What should I know before I apply
How to apply
- Head to the MBNA website to begin your application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The Alaska Airlines World Elite Mastercard is a customer loyalty card designed to reward frequent flyers for making purchases with Alaska Airlines. It offers a welcome bonus and basic insurance when you sign up, along with a handful of travel perks. The downside is that you won’t get comprehensive benefits or a low interest rate on purchases.