Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus Mastercard review
Get a generous welcome bonus and save money on flights when you earn miles with this frequent flyer card.Lock in an extra 20,000 miles when you spend over $1,000 on your card in the first 90 days.
Purchase Interest Rate
The Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus Mastercard is a mid-level travel rewards card offered by MBNA bank. It lets you earn miles to put towards Alaska Airlines flights. You’ll earn one mile for every dollar you spend on everyday purchases and three miles for Alaska Airlines purchases. You’ll also get a welcome bonus and a handful of travel perks like car rental discounts and an annual companion fare when you sign up.
- Think about this card if you enjoy flying with Alaska Airlines and you want a welcome bonus.
- Choose something else if you’re looking for comprehensive benefits or no annual fee.
- There are no personal or household income requirements to qualify for this card.
Whether you’re a frequent flyer or looking to book your first trip overseas, the Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus Mastercard could help you earn travel rewards for every dollar you spend.
- Decent return on miles. Earn three miles per dollar when you make Alaska Airlines purchases and one mile for everything else
- Welcome offer. Lock in an extra 20,000 miles when you spend over $1,000 on your card in the first 90 days.
- Companion fare. Get an annual companion flight so that a loved one can accompany you on your next trip for free (though you’ll have to pay a nominal fee for this fare)
- Purchase assurance. Rest easy with coverage to protect the purchases you make on your card against loss and damage.
- Extended warranty coverage. Add an extra year of coverage to your manufacturer's warranty when you buy consumer goods with your card
- Car rental discounts. Save at least 10% when you rent a car with select dealers in Canada and the US (and 5% internationally)
- Travel perks. Enjoy travel perks like lost luggage assistance and emergency card replacement services when you travel.
- Zero-liability insurance. Avoid paying for fraudulent purchases on your account with zero-liability insurance.
- Enhanced security. Relax knowing your purchases are protected by special security features on your card as well as online fraud prevention mechanisms.
- Many partner airlines. Miles can be redeemed for flights with 15 Alaska Airlines partners including Finnair, Qantas, Emirates and British Airways.
- No minimum income requirements. There are no personal or household income requirements to qualify for this card.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. It costs $75 per year to maintain this card.
- High interest. You’ll pay 19.99% on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances and balance transfers.
- Rigid rewards. You’ll need to cash in your rewards with Alaska Airlines, and they’re not transferrable to other MBNA rewards programs.
- Few benefits. There are no extra benefits like travel medical insurance or roadside assistance to compensate for the high fee you pay.
What should I know before I apply”
How to apply
- Head to the MBNA website to begin your application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The Alaska Airlines Platinum Plus Mastercard offers a decent return on travel rewards for Alaska Airlines passengers. You’ll also get a generous welcome bonus and a handful of travel perks when you sign up. The downside is that you won’t get comprehensive benefits or a low interest rate on purchases.