- Get this card if you want flexible rewards points and comprehensive travel insurance coverage for zero annual fee.
- Choose something else if you’re looking for a cashback program or want more Scotia Rewards points per dollar.
- You must have a minimum annual income of $12,000 to qualify for this card.
If you’re not interested in paying an annual fee but want a decent return on rewards along with a few other bells and whistles, then the Scotiabank American Express Card might be the right fit for you.
Earn 1 Scotia Rewards point for every $1 spent on eligible purchases, along with 5,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points on your first $500 spend in the first 3 months of card membership. And don’t forget to ask about exclusive offers on travel and entertainment, as well as hard-to-beat insurance packages.
Use your card to book travel through Scotia Rewards Travel Service, a full-service travel agency. Another alternative is to redeem points for a wide range of brand-name merchandise rewards or prepaid/gift cards. If you’re feeling particularly generous, you can even donate your points to charity. There’s also an option to convert your Scotia Rewards to SCENE points, and vice-versa.
- No annual fee. Avoid the annual charge to your balance when you sign up for this fee-free card.
- Product and warranty insurance. Get extended warranty and insurance coverage to cover theft, loss or damage on most items purchased with your card. Many purchases are also protected in case of a price drop within 60-days of purchase.
- Travel insurance. Make use of a wide suite of travel insurance to flight interruptions, car rentals and other incidentals. This comes on top of $250,000 Travel Accident Insurance and $1 million in Travel Emergency Medical Insurance.
- Optional coverage. Pay only $1.09 per $100 of the daily balance on your credit card account to receive a monthly benefit of 20% of your credit card balance. This balance is paid out for a range of life events including disability, job loss, strike, critical illness or loss of life.
- Promotional offers. Take advantage of a number of hot-ticket discounts along with special access offers for a wealth of experiences unique to American Express card holders with American Express Invites.
- Save on car rentals. Book with AVIS and Budget car rental locations in Canada and the U.S. and save up to 25% when you pay with your Scotiabank American Express Card.
- World class service. Contact customer service 24/7 to report issues with your account and troubleshoot problems by speaking directly to an agent.
- Not as widely accepted overseas. The Scotiabank American Express Card may not be accepted in certain location overseas.
- Penalty APR. Missing or losing track of payments could cost you an arm and a leg with a variable APR as high as 24.99% on purchases and 27.99% on cash advances.
What do other customers say?
Many customers enjoy the flexibility of Scotia Rewards, which can be exchanged for travel, merchandise, SCENE points and more. Some cardholders appreciate having no annual fee, while others opt to pay $120 for the Scotiabank Gold American Express card to receive 5x the points. One limitation of the Scotiabank American Express Card is that customers can’t use American Express cards as easily overseas.
- Click Go to site on this page to be securely directed to your Scotiabank American Express Card application.
- Read through the Disclosure Statement details and click Accept & Continue.
- Complete the application with details that include your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The Scotiabank American Express Card offers a full suite of perks and benefits with no annual fee. This card offers 1 Scotia Rewards point for every $1 spent on eligible purchases, along with comprehensive purchase and travel insurance. American Express customers also get exclusive entertainment and dining deals with American Express Invites. If you’re looking to maximize your Scotia Rewards points, you might like to check out the Scotiabank Gold American Express Card. If you want a more targeted travel rewards program, you can look into the ScotiaGold Passport Visa Card.