RBC ION Visa review
- Welcome Offer
- 3,500 points
- 1.5 points per $1 spent
- Annual Fee
- Purchase Interest Rate
- Cash Advance Rate
The RBC ION Visa caters to credit card users that enjoy spending time online or using ride share and food delivery apps regularly. You'll earn 1.5x the points for groceries, transportation and digital purchases.
Best for: Those who want a credit card that rewards you for staying connected.
No annual fee
Earn 1.5x the points for digital purchases, groceries and transportation
Get 3,500 Avion points when you get approved for the card.
You'll need a credit score of 660 to apply for the card
Avion points can take a long time to save up
- No annual fee. Save money every year with no annual fee.
- 1.5x the points for digital purchases. Get rewarded when you make select online or in-app purchases, whether you’re gaming, streaming, ridesharing or managing digital subscriptions.
- Higher return for everyday purchases. Earn 1.5x the rewards when you spend money on groceries or transportation (including gas, daily transit and EV charging).
- Welcome bonus. Get 3,500 Avion points when you get approved for the card.
- Flexible redemption. Redeem your Avion points anytime through the Avion Rewards website or RBC online banking.
- Purchase coverage. Get purchase protection and extended warranty coverage on most products you buy with your card.
- Easy to qualify. There are no annual income requirements, but you’ll need to be a resident of Canada to apply.
- Pay with points. Redeem your points to pay bills, put money on your credit card or send e-Transfers to friends. Minimum redemption is only $10.
- Save on gas. Save 3¢/L on fuel at Petro-Canada and earn 20% more Petro and Avion points when you pay with your card and link your Petro-Points membership.
- Earn Be Well points. Earn 50 Be Well points for every $1 you spend on eligible items at Rexall when you scan your Be Well card and pay with your RBC ION Visa.
- Save on DoorDash. Get a 3-month complimentary DashPass subscription and unlimited deliveries with $0 delivery fees on qualifying orders of $15 or more when you pay with your card.
- Zero-liability coverage. Rest easy knowing that your card is protected from unauthorized use with zero-liability coverage.
- 24/7 support. Call RBC on its 24/7 customer service line if you run into any issues with your account.
What to watch out for
- Good credit is required. You’ll need a score of at least 660 to qualify for this card.
- No balance transfer offer. Like most credit cards, there’s no promo rate for balance transfers. You’ll pay 22.99% which is more than the normal purchase rate (19.99%).
- Fees. There are fees for services such as cash advances, dishonoured payments, foreign currency conversion and balance transfers, among others.
- Low points value. Avion points can take a long time to save up. Here are some example conversions: Gift cards: 140 points = $1 (0.71 CPP); Travel: 172 points = $1 (0.58 CPP); Pay with Points: 172 points = $1 (0.58 CPP)
RBC ION Visa interest rates
|Interest Type||Interest Rate|
|Purchase interest rate||20.99%|
|Cash advance rate||22.99%|
|Standard balance transfer rate||22.99%|
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for an RBC ION Visa, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Be at least the age of majority in your province (18 or 19 years old)
You will also need to provide the following documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your social insurance number (SIN) and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply for the RBC ION Visa
- Click this secure RBC ION link or on the “Go to site” button above to start your RBC ION Visa application.
- Read through the Disclosure Statement details and click Accept & Continue.
- Complete the application with details that include your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The RBC ION Visa is an innovative card that lets you earn 1.5x the rewards for select digital purchases along with everyday purchases like gas and groceries. It comes with practical benefits such as a 3-month complimentary DashPass subscription, gas savings at Petro-Canada and the chance to earn more Be Well points at Rexall.