Mogo Visa Platinum Prepaid Card review
Reduce your carbon footprint with this innovative Mogo prepaid Visa card from Mogo.
This is a prepaid card so any money you spend will be money you load into your account, which means you won’t pay interest.
Cost per transaction
The Mogo Visa* Platinum Prepaid Card is an eco-friendly credit card that’s designed to reduce your consumption and help you give back to the planet. Also known as MogoCard, this Mogo prepaid Visa only lets you spend money that you already have in your account so that you don’t go into debt or buy products you don’t need. Mogo also partners with the REDD+ Amazon Forestry Project to offset one pound of CO2 for every dollar you spend on your card.
- Think about this card if you want to offset your carbon footprint and you’d prefer not to hold an outstanding balance on your card.
- Choose something else if you want access to credit with a credit card.
- For every $1 you spend, 1 pound of CO2 will be offset for free through Mogos Amazon Rainforest project.
If you want to save money and reduce your environmental impact, you could benefit from signing up for the Mogo Visa Platinum Prepaid Card (MogoCard).
- No annual fee. You won’t have to put down any fees to sign up for this card.
- Interest-free spending. This is a prepaid card so any money you spend will be money you load into your account, which means you won’t pay interest.
- Carbon offsets. You’ll be able to see how much carbon you offset through your purchases and you’ll know your rewards are going towards a good cause.
- Budgeting tools. You can monitor and control your spending with a number of handy in-app budgeting tools.
- Mobile app. It is possible to access Mogo’s mobile app 24/7 to see your transactions and get an idea of how much impact your purchases are making.
- Free top-ups. Add money to your account quickly and easily for no additional fee.
- Zero liability. Protect yourself against fraudulent purchases due to the unauthorized use of your card.
- Tap and pay. Sign up for Apple Pay or Google Pay to make purchases with one easy tap on the reader.
- Security measures. Cards are protected with encrypted microchips and other security features like Visa payWave for online purchases.
What to watch out for
- No basic insurance. You won’t get basic insurance, such as purchase protection or extended warranty, with this card.
- Few perks. There are few extra perks included with this card, such as no car rental insurance, mobile device protection or travel insurance.
- No welcome offer. You won’t get any opportunities to earn extra rewards as an incentive to sign up for this card.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for a MogoCard, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
- Have money to load into your account
Required documents and information
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply for the MogoCard
- Click the green ‘Go to site’ button to sign up for a Mogo account.
- Once you complete the sign up process, accept the Terms & Conditions for the MogoCard and confirm your personal information is correct.
- Confirm your MogoCard order.
The MogoCard is an eco-friendly alternative to overspending and overconsumption. It only lets you spend money that you already have in your account, and you’ll be able to offset your carbon footprint with every dollar you spend. That said, it doesn’t offer many other perks or benefits.