Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Mogo Visa Platinum Prepaid Card review
Reduce your carbon footprint and have a positive impact on the environment with this eco-friendly prepaid card.
The Mogo Visa Platinum Prepaid Card is an eco-friendly credit card that’s designed to reduce your consumption and help you give back to the planet. This card only lets you spend money that you already have in your account so that you don’t go into debt or buy products you don’t need. Mogo also partners with the REDD+ Amazon Forestry Project to offset one pound of CO2 for every dollar you spend on your card.
- Think about this card if you want to offset your carbon footprint and you’d prefer not to hold an outstanding balance on your card.
- Choose something else if you want access to credit or you’d prefer to earn cash back or travel rewards.
- There are no minimum income requirements for this card.
If you want to save money and reduce your environmental impact, you could benefit from signing up for the Mogo Visa Platinum Prepaid Card.
- No annual fee. You won’t have to put down any fees to sign up for this card.
- Interest-free spending. This is a prepaid card so any money you spend will be money you load into your account, which means you won’t pay interest.
- Carbon offsets. You’ll be able to see how much carbon you offset through your purchases and you’ll know your rewards are going towards a good cause.
- Budgeting tools. You can monitor and control your spending with a number of handy in-app budgeting tools.
- Mobile app. It is possible to access Mogo’s mobile app 24/7 to see your transactions and get an idea of how much impact your purchases are making.
- Free top-ups. Add money to your account quickly and easily for no additional fee.
- Zero liability. Protect yourself against fraudulent purchases due to the unauthorized use of your card.
- Tap and pay. Sign up for Apple Pay or Google Pay to make purchases with one easy tap on the reader.
- Security measures. Cards are protected with encrypted microchips and other security features like Visa payWave for online purchases.
What to watch out for
- No cash back or personal rewards. You can’t exchange the points you collect for cash back, merchandise, travel or other rewards.
- No basic insurance. You won’t get basic insurance, such as purchase protection or extended warranty, with this card.
- Few perks. There are very few extra perks included with this card, such as car rental insurance, mobile device protection or travel insurance.
- No welcome offer. You won’t get any opportunities to earn extra rewards as an incentive to sign up for this card.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for a Mogo Visa Platinum Prepaid Card, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
- Have money to load into your account
Required documents and information
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply
- Go to the Mogo site to be directed to the Mogo Visa Platinum Prepaid Card application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number (SIN) and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The Mogo Visa Platinum Prepaid Card is an eco-friendly alternative to overspending and overconsumption. It only lets you spend money that you already have in your account, and you’ll be able to offset your carbon footprint with every dollar you spend. That said, it doesn’t offer many other perks or benefits, so you’ll need to be happy with limited rewards.
Compare other credit cards
Frequently asked questions about the Mogo Visa Platinum Prepaid Card
More guides on Finder
BMO Plus Chequing Account review
Enjoy 25 free transactions per month and pay a low monthly fee for this basic chequing account.
Loans Canada Car Loans Review
Want to get top rates on your car loan? Compare lenders using this online car loan broker.
BMO U.S. Dollar Premium Rate Savings Account review
Enjoy a decent return on interest for no monthly fees with this top-rated US dollar savings account.
BMO Premium Rate Savings Account Review
Earn interest on your savings for no monthly fee with this popular BMO bank account.
BMO Practical Chequing Account review
Enjoy 12 free transactions per month for one low monthly fee with this basic chequing account.
RBC U.S. High Interest eSavings Account Review
Earn a high interest rate on your US savings and pay zero monthly fees to sign up for this account.
RBC No Limit Banking for Students Account review
Get free transactions and enjoy special student perks with this unlimited chequing account.
RBC Premium Checking Account Review
Get unlimited transfers and other free transactions with this cross-border chequing account.
RBC Student Banking Account Review
Enjoy a number of student perks and pay no monthly fees for this basic chequing account.
RBC No Limit Banking Account Review
Get unlimited free transactions and RBC ATM withdrawals with this low-fee chequing account.