Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best Dogecoin (DOGE) wallets
We review 5 of the best wallets for securely storing and managing Dogecoin.
Launched in 2013 as something of a joke, Dogecoin (DOGE) was an instant success and gained widespread popularity in the crypto community.
5 Dogecoin wallets we love
- Ledger Nano S – hardware wallet
- KeepKey – hardware wallet
- Jaxx – desktop and mobile wallet
- Coinomi – mobile wallet
- Dogecoin Wallet (depreciated) – desktop and mobile wallet
Compare wallets for Dogecoin
We’ve sorted through more than 70 wallets to help you find the best one for your Dogecoin needs. Compare wallets on type, supported currencies and price using our comparison table — click Go to site when you’re ready to buy.
What to look for in a Dogecoin wallet
When searching for the best DOGE wallet for your needs, remember to keep an eye out for the following features:
- DOGE support. Before looking into a wallet’s features, check the fine print to make sure it’s actually compatible with DOGE.
- Ease of use. If you’re new to digital currencies or simply not all that good with technology, look for a wallet that’s designed with beginners in mind. A simple user interface can make it a whole lot easier and less stressful to manage your coins.
- Security. What security features does the wallet offer? For example, does it offer hot or cold storage? Does it include 2-factor authentication and/or multi-sig functionality? Have there ever been any security breaches reported in the media?
- Backup and restore. Is it easy to make a backup of the wallet and then restore it if needed, ensuring that you don’t lose any coins if something goes wrong?
- Ongoing development. Research the development team behind the wallet to see if they are constantly working to upgrade and improve the wallet’s features and functionality.
- Customer support. If you ever have a problem with your wallet or a particular transaction, how will you be able to contact customer support? Check out the contact options available and research whether the wallet provider has a good reputation for quickly answering calls for help.
- Positive reviews. Don’t just trust the marketing speil from a wallet provider; check out independent online reviews from other users to find out their views on a wallet’s pros and cons, and whether they would recommend it to new users.
5 wallets for holding Dogecoin (DOGE)
Ledger Nano S (hardware wallet)
- Storing multiple cryptocurrencies, good security features, simple and straightforward to use
This small USB device stores your private keys in a secure element protected by a PIN, and it also features an easy back-up and restore feature along with support for 2-factor authentication. There’s a built-in OLED display that, along with buttons on the device that need to be physically pressed, can be used to manually verify transactions.
The main drawback of this handy little device is the cost. Like any hardware wallet, it comes at a price.
KeepKey (hardware wallet)
- Security, can store multiple cryptocurrencies
As it’s a hierarchical deterministic (HD) wallet, the KeepKey allows you to generate and store an unlimited number of private keys. The device is PIN protected and features a large display for tracking transactions.
All transactions need to be manually confirmed using a button on the device. You can exchange between assets directly on your KeepKey using ShapeShift, and your wallet works on PC, Mac, Linux and Android operating systems.
However, you’ll need to fork out more for the KeepKey than other wallets, which means it may not be an ideal option for some DOGE holders.
Jaxx (desktop and mobile wallet)
- Storing multiple coins and tokens, accessible on a wide range of devices, simple user interface
- Some security concerns
It’s also worth a look if you want the convenience of multi-platform access. You can use Jaxx on your desktop (Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems), mobile (Android and iOS devices) and through a Chrome browser extension.
It allows you to retain control of your private keys, and new users will have no trouble managing their coins and tokens through Jaxx. Built-in ShapeShift functionality is another convenient feature.
The main downside of Jaxx is that it isn’t immune to security concerns. The June 2017 news of a $400,000 crypto theft due to a Jaxx wallet “vulnerability” reinforces the importance of maximizing security when managing your cryptocurrency coins.
Must read: Storing DOGE in an exchange wallet
In addition to the above options, you may also want to consider storing your DOGE coins in an exchange wallet. While this is a quick and convenient option for anyone who needs easy access to their funds, such as for future trades, it’s generally not recommended.
This is due to the fact that you can’t retain full control of your wallet’s private keys, which means you don’t have full control of your funds. It’s also worth noting that cryptocurrency exchanges are a popular target for hackers looking to get their hands on other people’s coins, so the safest way to store your holdings is to move them into a private wallet.
Coinomi (mobile wallet)
- Storing multiple cryptocurrencies, easy to use, HD wallet, built-in ShapeShift exchange
- Features can be excessive if you just want a basic wallet
An HD wallet, Coinomi is fast to set up and allows you to store your private keys on your device.
You can start sending and receiving payments in just a few simple steps, and there’s an in-built ShapeShift exchange for extra functionality.
You also don’t have to go through any Know Your Customer (KYC) bureaucracy to manage your funds, which is an important feature for anyone who values their anonymity.
Dogecoin Wallet (desktop and mobile wallet)
- An “official” DOGE wallet
Tips for securely storing your DOGE
Keep the following tips in mind to help ensure the safe storage of DOGE and any other crypto coins or tokens:
- Research your options. Before choosing a wallet to store your DOGE, make sure you’ve thoroughly researched what it has to offer. Is it backed by a reputable provider? What security features does it include? Has it ever been hacked? Considering these questions will help you find a safe and secure storage option.
- Go offline. Cold storage is widely considered to be the safest way to store cryptocurrency. With this in mind, if you’re holding a large balance, consider leaving a small number of coins/tokens in an easily accessible wallet (if needed), and move the rest into offline storage, for example, a hardware wallet.
- Set a strong password. Don’t be lazy when setting up a password for your wallet or any other cryptocurrency account; use multiple letters, numbers and other characters to make it virtually impossible to crack.
- Protect your privacy. The only way to access your DOGE is with your private key, so make sure you store all crypto private keys in a secure place and never share them with anyone else.
- Protect your devices. Install the latest antivirus and anti-malware software on all devices that you will use to access your crypto wallet.
- Make a backup. Ensure that your wallet is backed up so that you can successfully recover your funds if something goes wrong.
- Make use of all available protections. Familiarize yourself with all the security features your wallet offers, like 2-factor authentication and the ability to create a secure PIN, and make use of all protective measures available.
At the time of writing, the author holds IOTA and XLM.
More guides on Finder
Binance Futures guide: How to trade BTC, ETH and more
Learn how to trade futures contracts on Binance with this visual step-by-step guide.
Binance vs Coinbase: Which is best for you?
Binance and Coinbase are two titans of cryptocurrency – let’s see how the two stack up and find out which suits your needs.
What is Yearn Finance?
Learn how to use DeFi aggregator Yearn Finance to earn interest on your cryptocurrency.
Bank of Canada interest rate forecast report
Read Finder’s BoC Interest Rate Forecast Report for forecasts from some of Canada’s brightest minds in economics and property as well as their thoughts on how recent rate hikes could affect Canada’s property market.
Where to buy bamboo sheets online in Canada 2021
Grab a discount code and cut costs on bamboo sheets at any of these leading stores.
Yeti discount codes and coupons May 2021: FREE shipping
Yeti outdoor coolers, drink bottles and gear are built for the wild. They’re made to last and improve your time outdoors.
Ontario travel restrictions: Where you can go in May 2021
Find out how to get out and explore with our guide to Ontario travel restrictions.
Investing in Bitcoin: ETFs or buying outright?
SPONSORED: Bitcoin has been around for over a decade – does it really need an ETF?
International money transfer services
Beat the banks, find the best exchange rates and avoid fees when you send money abroad from Australia.
Best teeth whitening kits in Canada
We’ve rounded up some of the best teeth whitening kits in Canada.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.