American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card Review
Collect Aeroplan Points and get exclusive travel benefits with this premium Aeroplan card.Earn up to 65,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan points and a $100 Statement Credit as a new cardmember.
Purchase Interest Rate
|Product Name||American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card|
|Reward||Earn 3x the points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations, 2x the points on eligible dining and food delivery purchases in Canada, and 1x the points on everything else.|
|Welcome Offer||Earn up to 65,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan points and a $100 Statement Credit as a new cardmember.|
|Purchase Interest Rate||19.99%|
|Cash Advance Rate||21.99%|
|Balance Transfer Rate||N/A|
|Interest Free Period||21 days|
|Go to site|
- Get this card if you want to earn Aeroplan points, and you’re looking for a credit card with all the bells and whistles.
- Choose something else if you’re not a frequent traveller or you would prefer not to pay an annual fee.
- There are no minimum income requirements to apply for this card.
If you want tons of airport perks along with a comprehensive suite of travel insurance, then the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card could be just the ticket.
- Welcome offer. Earn up to 65,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan points and a $100 Statement Credit as a new cardmember. Earn 35,000 Aeroplan points and a $100 Statement Credit after spending $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of Cardmembership. Plus, earn 5,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period where you spend $1,000 in purchases on your Card for the first six months (up to 30,000 Aeroplan points).
- Decent return on points. Earn 3x the points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations, 2x the points on eligible dining and food delivery purchases in Canada, and 1x the points on everything else.
- Companion flight. Enjoy an annual worldwide companion pass when you spend $25,000 in net purchases prior to the anniversary date of receiving your card.
- Priority airport access. Access priority check-in, priority boarding and priority baggage handling with Air Canada. Plus, get your first checked bag free for up to nine passengers travelling on the same reservation when you fly with Air Canada.
- Lounge access. Take advantage of access to select Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges and Air Canada Cafes in North America, with a same day ticket on a departing Air Canada or Star Alliance flight. Plus, get access to more than 1,200 Priority Pass airport lounges.
- Reach Elite Status faster. Earn 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles and 1 Status Qualifying Segment for every $5,000 worth of eligible purchases you charge to your card.
- Comprehensive travel insurance. Enjoy multiple forms of travel insurance including travel medical, trip interruption/cancellation, flight delay and lost baggage insurance.
|Insurance type||Level of coverage|
|Travel medical||Up to $5 million for 15 days (if you’re under 65 years of age)|
|Trip cancellation or interruption insurance||Up to $1,500 per passenger per incident (up to an allowable maximum limit per group).|
|Flight and baggage delay||Up to $1,000 combined insurance per trip|
|Baggage theft or loss||Up to $1,000 per trip|
|Hotel burglary||Up to $1,000 per trip|
|Car rental theft or damage||Up to $85,000 per vehicle|
|Common carrier (plane, train, ship or bus)||Up to $500,000 for accidental death/dismemberment|
- Purchase insurance. Get purchase protection and extended warranty coverage for any products you buy with your card.
- Amex invites. Enjoy exclusive invites and offers to all the hottest events, music, dining and entertainment offered by American Express.
- Special perks at Toronto Airport. Get discounts on parking rates and car care services, enjoy complimentary valet services and get priority access to security at the Toronto Pearson International Airport.
- Exclusive metal card. Pay for your purchases with a precision cut and engraved 13g metal card reserved exclusively for American Express Aeroplan Reserve cardholders.
- Flight rewards. Book your flights with less Aeroplan points than a regular member would require just for holding an American Express Aeroplan credit card.
- Flexible points. Redeem your points for flights, hotel stays, car rentals, vacation packages, merchandise and more.
- Fraud protection. Enjoy peace of mind knowing that your account is protected with encryption and other security features like special passcodes for online purchases.
What to watch out for
- High annual fee. You’ll have to pay $599 per year to maintain this card, and you won’t be able to waive this fee under any circumstances.
- High interest. You’ll pay 19.99% interest on any outstanding balance you hold on your card.
- Fee for additional cards. There’s an added fee of $199 for every additional card you add to your account.
- No extra points for daily purchases. You won’t earn accelerated rewards for purchasing groceries, gas or other daily essentials.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for an American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
You will also need to provide the following documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply
- Click the green “Go to site” button above to be securely redirected to the online application for the American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card.
- Click “Apply now” and complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card is a loyalty credit card that gives you a high return on Aeroplan points. It also comes with a slew of travel insurance and airport perks. This card may be an ideal fit for you if you travel regularly, earn a high annual income and want to maximize your Aeroplan points and associated travel benefits. Just be aware that this card comes with an annual fee of $599, which can make it inaccessible to some customers.