American Express Aeroplan Card Review
Earn Aeroplan Points wherever you shop and enjoy a wide range of travel perks with this loyalty charge card.Earn up to 15,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass as a new cardmember.
30% annual interest rate applies to balances not paid in full each month
Purchase Interest Rate
|Product Name||American Express Aeroplan Card|
|Reward||Earn 2x the points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada vacations, 1.5x the points on eligible dining and food delivery purchases and 1x the points on everything else.|
|Welcome Offer||Earn up to 15,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass as a new cardmember.|
|Purchase Interest Rate||30% annual interest rate applies to balances not paid in full each month|
|Cash Advance Rate||N/A|
|Balance Transfer Rate||N/A|
|Interest Free Period||28-31 days (depending on calendar month)|
|Go to site|
Just keep in mind that you’ll have to pay $120 per year to keep this card active. Since it’s a charge card, you’ll also pay up to 30% interest on outstanding balances.
- Get this card if you want to earn Aeroplan points and you’re prepared to pay off the balance on your card every month.
- Choose something else if you don’t travel very often or you’d like comprehensive travel benefits such as trip cancellation/interruption insurance or travel medical.
- There are no minimum income requirements to apply for this card.
If you’re looking for a decent spread of travel benefits and the chance to earn Aeroplan points wherever you shop, the American Express Aeroplan Card be the right fit for you.
- Welcome offer. Earn up to 15,000 Welcome Bonus Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass as a new cardmember. Earn 9,000 Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass for an eligible round-trip flight within North America after spending $1,500 in purchases within the first three months of Cardmembership. Plus, earn 1,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period where you spend $500 in purchases for the first six months of Cardmembership (up to a total of 6,000 Aeroplan points).
- Decent return on points. Earn 2x the points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada vacations, 1.5x the points on eligible dining and food delivery purchases and 1x the points on everything else.
- Bonus Buddy Pass. With this pass, bring a friend anywhere Air Canada flies in North America. On the second ticket, you only pay the taxes and third-party charges.
- First checked bag free. Enjoy your first checked bag for free on Air Canada flights (up to 23kg/50lb, and valid for up to nine people travelling on the same reservation).
- Reach Elite Status faster. Earn 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles and 1 Status Qualifying Segment for every $10,000 worth of eligible purchases you charge to your card.
- Welcome bonus. Take advantage of a welcome bonus when you sign up for this card within a certain time frame.
- Purchase protection. Protect yourself against damage or theft of newly purchased items with a 90 days
product replacement guarantee for eligible purchases.
- Extended warranty. Extend your manufacturer's warranty by up to a year for products and merchandise you buy with your card.
- Travel insurance. Enjoy multiple forms of travel insurance including coverage for lost baggage, hotel burglary and rental car damage.
|Insurance type||Level of coverage|
|Flight and baggage delay||Up to $500 per incident|
|Baggage theft or loss||Up to $500 per trip|
|Hotel burglary||Up to $500 per trip|
|Car rental theft or damage||Up to $85,000 per vehicle|
|Common carrier (plane, train, ship or bus)||Up to $500,000 for accidental death/dismemberment|
- American Express Experiences. Get access to special offers for music, dining, entertainment and exclusive events offered by American Express.
- Recycled plastic card. Help protect the environment with a credit card made of 70% reclaimed plastic.
- Flight rewards. Book your flights with less Aeroplan points than a regular member would require just for being an American Express Aeroplan cardholder.
- Flexible points. Redeem your points for flights, hotel stays, car rentals, vacation packages, merchandise and more.
- Fraud protection. Rest easy knowing that your account is protected with encryption and other security features like special passcodes for online purchases.
- No account limits. Make large purchases on your card without having to worry about exceeding your maximum daily or weekly spend limit.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. You’ll have to pay $120 per year to maintain this card.
- Few airport perks. You won’t get additional airport perks such as priority boarding or airport lounge access with this card.
- Fee for additional cards. There’s an added fee for additional cardholders.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for an American Express Aeroplan Card, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
You will also need to provide the following documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply
- Click the green “Go to site” button to be securely redirected to the online application for the American Express Aeroplan Card.
- Click “Apply now” and complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The American Express Aeroplan Card is a loyalty charge card that lets you earn Aeroplan points for every purchase you make. It also comes with a number of travel benefits and basic insurance such as purchase protection and extended warranty coverage. Just be aware that you’ll have to pay $120 per year to keep this card active, along with a 30% interest on outstanding balances.