American Express Aeroplan Card Review
- Welcome Offer
- 40,000 points
- Up to 2x points
- Annual Fee
- Purchase Interest Rate
- Cash Advance Rate
The American Express Aeroplan Card is a charge card that's designed for frequent travellers and Aeroplan members. It lets you earn Aeroplan points wherever you shop and comes with a number of travel benefits. These include rental car insurance, common carrier insurance, baggage insurance and your first bag checked free on Air Canada flights. Since it's a charge card, you'll pay up to 30% interest on any outstanding balances.
Best for: Travellers looking to earn Aeroplan points.
Earn up to 40,000 welcome bonus points
Earn up to 2x points per $1 spent
Comprehensive travel insurance coverage
First checked bag free on flights
Reach Elite Status faster
You'll pay an annual fee of $120
You'll pay an interest rate of 30% on any outstanding balances
No airport perks like lounge access
If you’re looking for a decent spread of travel benefits and the chance to earn Aeroplan points wherever you shop, the American Express Aeroplan Card be the right fit for you.
- Welcome offer. Earn up to 40,000 bonus Aeroplan points. Earn 3,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $1,000 in purchases for the first 10 months of Cardmembership (that could add up to 30,000 Aeroplan points). Plus, earn 10,000 Aeroplan points when you make a purchase between 14 and 17 months of cardmembership.
- Decent return on points. Earn 2x the points on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada vacations, 1.5x points on eligible dining and food delivery purchases in Canada, and 1x points on everything else.
- First checked bag free. Enjoy your first checked bag for free on Air Canada flights (up to 23kg/50lb, and valid for up to nine people travelling on the same reservation).
- Reach Elite Status faster. Earn 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles and 1 Status Qualifying Segment for every $10,000 worth of eligible purchases you charge to your card.
- Sustainability feature. As part of Amex commitment to sustainability, the American Express Aeroplan Card has been made with 70% reclaimed plastic.
- Purchase protection. Protect yourself against damage or theft of newly purchased items with a 90 days
product replacement guarantee for eligible purchases.
- Extended warranty. Extend your manufacturer's warranty by up to a year for products and merchandise you buy with your card.
- Travel insurance. Enjoy multiple forms of travel insurance including coverage for lost baggage, hotel burglary and rental car damage.
|Insurance type||Level of coverage|
|Flight and baggage delay||Up to $500 per incident|
|Baggage theft or loss||Up to $500 per trip|
|Hotel burglary||Up to $500 per trip|
|Car rental theft or damage||Up to $85,000 per vehicle|
|Common carrier (plane, train, ship or bus)||Up to $500,000 for accidental death/dismemberment|
- American Express Experiences. Get access to special offers for music, dining, entertainment and exclusive events offered by American Express.
- Recycled plastic card. Help protect the environment with a credit card made of 70% reclaimed plastic.
- Flight rewards. Book your flights with less Aeroplan points than a regular member would require just for being an American Express Aeroplan cardholder.
- Flexible points. Redeem your points for flights, hotel stays, car rentals, vacation packages, merchandise and more.
- Fraud protection. Rest easy knowing that your account is protected with encryption and other security features like special passcodes for online purchases.
- No account limits. Make large purchases on your card without having to worry about exceeding your maximum daily or weekly spend limit.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. You’ll have to pay $120 per year to maintain this card.
- Few airport perks. You won’t get additional airport perks such as priority boarding or airport lounge access with this card.
- Fee for additional cards. There’s an added fee for additional cardholders.
American Express Aeroplan Card interest rates
|Interest Type||Interest Rate|
|Purchase interest rate||N/A|
|Cash advance interest rate||N/A|
|Balance transfer interest rate||N/A|
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for an American Express Aeroplan Card, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
You will also need to provide the following documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number (SIN) and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply for the American Express Aeroplan Card
- Click the green “Go to site” button above or on the following link to be securely redirected to the online application for the American Express Aeroplan Card.
- Click “Apply now” and complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The American Express Aeroplan Card is a loyalty charge card that lets you earn Aeroplan points for every purchase you make. It also comes with a number of travel benefits and basic insurance such as purchase protection and extended warranty coverage. Just be aware that you’ll have to pay $120 per year to keep this card active, along with a 30% interest on outstanding balances.