American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card review
Collect Aeroplan Points and enjoy a laundry list of travel benefits with this premium business credit card.Earn up to 85,000 welcome bonus Aeroplan points. New cardholders can earn up to $2,600 or more in value within the first year.
Up to 3x points
The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card offers a high return on Aeroplan points whenever you spend money on your card. You’ll also get a lower interest rate on your outstanding balance along with a suite of exceptional travel benefits and airport perks. These include comprehensive travel insurance, priority check-ins, airport lounge access and an annual companion pass when you sign up.
- Get this card if you want comprehensive travel benefits and a lower-than-average interest rate on outstanding balances.
- Choose something else if you’re not a frequent traveller or you would prefer not to pay an annual fee.
- This card comes with an annual fee of $599 to maintain along with a $199 fee for supplementary cards.
If you’re looking for a business card that will give you a decent interest rate and tons of travel perks, then you might like to check out the American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card.
- Welcome offer. Earn up to 85,000 welcome bonus Aeroplan points. Earn 25,000 Aeroplan points after spending $3,000 within the first 3 months. Plus, earn 5,000 Aeroplan points for each monthly billing period in which you spend $2,000 for the first 12 months of cardmembership (that could add up to 60,000 Aeroplan points).
- Decent return on points. Earn 3 points for every $1 spent on eligible purchases made directly with Air Canada and Air Canada Vacations, 2 points for every $1 spent on eligible hotels and car rentals, and 1.25 point for every $1 spent elsewhere.
- Lower-than-average interest rates. Pay only 16.99% on outstanding purchases instead of the 19.99% rate that’s charged on most standard credit cards.
- Companion flight. Book flight reward tickets for even fewer points with Air Canada. Plus, enjoy access to select Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges for you and a guest, and Air Canada Café in North America, with a same day ticket on a departing Air Canada or Star Alliance flight.
- Priority airport access. Get priority check-in, boarding and baggage handling for you and up to eight other guests on your travel reservation when you fly with Air Canada.
- First checked bag free. Lighten your load with your first checked bag (up to 23kg/50lb) for free on any Air Canada flight (also valid for up to eight other companions flying on the same reservation as you).
- Lounge access. Get access to more than 1,200 Priority Pass airport lounges around the world. Plus, enjoy access to select Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounges and Air Canada Cafes in North America, with a same day ticket on a departing Air Canada or Star Alliance flight.
- Reach Elite Status faster. Earn 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles and 1 Status Qualifying Segment for every $5,000 worth of eligible purchases you charge to your card.
- Get a $100 NEXUS Card Statement Credit. Receive up to $100 CAD in statement credits every four years when NEXUS application or renewal fees are charged to your Aeroplan Business Reserve Card.
- Comprehensive travel insurance. Enjoy multiple forms of travel insurance including travel medical, trip interruption/cancellation, flight delay and hotel burglary insurance.
|Insurance type||Level of coverage|
|Travel medical||Up to $5 million for 15 days (if you’re under 65 years of age)|
|Trip cancellation or interruption insurance||Up to$1,500 per passenger per incident (up to an allowable maximum limit per group).|
|Flight and baggage delay||Up to $1,000 combined insurance per trip|
|Baggage theft or loss||Up to $1,000 per trip|
|Hotel burglary||Up to $1,000 per trip|
|Car rental theft or damage||Up to $85,000 per vehicle|
|Common carrier (plane, train, ship or bus)||Up to $500,000 for accidental death/dismemberment|
- Purchase insurance. Protect your purchases up to $1,000 with 90-day purchase insurance and extended warranty coverage for up to one additional year.
- Employee card misuse protection. Get up to $100,000 worth of coverage if any of your employees uses your card to make unauthorized purchases.
- Special perks at Toronto Airport. Take advantage of discounted parking, free valet services and priority access to security lines at the Toronto Pearson International Airport.
- Flight rewards. Book your flights with less Aeroplan points than a regular member would require just for holding an American Express Aeroplan credit card.
- Flexible points. Cash your Aeroplan points in for rewards such as flights, hotel stays, car rentals, vacation packages, merchandise and more.
- Amex invites. Enjoy exclusive invites and offers to all the hottest events, music, dining and entertainment offered by American Express.
- Business management tools. Control employee expenses plus track and accumulate points on your account with Supplementary Cards, so you have an opportunity to maximize the points you earn.
What to watch out for
- High annual fee. You’ll have to pay $599 per year to maintain this card and you won’t be able to waive this fee under any circumstances.
- Fee for additional cards. There’s an added fee of $199 for every additional card you add to your account.
- No extra points for daily purchases. You won’t earn accelerated rewards for purchasing daily essentials such as gas or groceries.
- Cash advances cost more. You’ll pay a high interest rate of 21.99% whenever you take money out using a cash advance from your card.
American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card interest rates
|Interest Type||Interest Rate|
|Purchase interest rate||16.99%|
|Cash advance rate||21.99%|
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for an American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is at least 18 years old (19 in some provinces)
You will also need to provide the following documents and information:
- Your name, residential status and contact information
- Your Social Insurance Number and date of birth
- Your email address and phone number
How to apply
- Click the green “Go to site” button to be securely redirected to the online application for the American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card.
- Click “Apply now” and complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, Social Insurance Number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
The American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card lets you earn Aeroplan points whenever you spend money on your credit card. It comes with a host of travel and airport benefits including a free companion pass, priority services at the airport, lounge access and comprehensive travel insurance. Just keep in mind that this card comes with an annual fee of $599 which is much higher than a typical credit card.