Sample letter for a debt validation request
Debt collector’s name
Debt collector’s address
Re: Your account number
This letter is being sent in response to a [written notice or phone call] on September 2020. This is not a refusal to pay, but a request for debt validation. I am requesting that you provide proof that the debt is valid under a contractual obligation and that I am the correct debtor.
Please provide me with the following information:
- An agreement with the creditor that authorizes you to collect on this alleged debt
- An agreement with my signature that states I have agreed to assume this alleged debt
- Valid copies of the alleged debt agreement that states the original principal of the alleged debt as well as fees and interest charges
- Complete accounting history of the alleged debt
- Any judgments obtained by a creditor regarding this account
- Name and address of the alleged creditor
- Name and address of the alleged debtor
- Name, address and official license for the collection agency attempting to collect this alleged debt
- Date the alleged debt became payable, date of the original delinquency and verification that the alleged debt was assigned or sold to the collector
If your office is able to provide the proper documentation as requested, I will require 30 days to investigate the information. During this time, cease and desist all collection activity. If during this validation period any actions are taken that could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult legal counsel in preparation for a lawsuit.
If your office fails to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file. A copy of this deletion request needs to be sent to me immediately. Any noncompliance with my request will be considered a waiver of all claims to enforce the debt against me and your implied agreement to compensate me for any court costs and/or attorney fees if I am forced to bring this matter before a judge.
Thank you for your cooperation,
Your name in print