Disclaimer: This information should not be interpreted as an endorsement of cryptocurrency or any specific
provider, service or offering. It is not a recommendation to trade.
How to buy Dogecoin with a credit card in 3 steps:
Step 1: Create an account
No matter which service you use to buy Dogecoin with a credit card, you will need to create an account. This requires you to sign up with an email and a password. Additionally, most exchanges will require you to pass a Know Your Customer (KYC) process. Once you have signed up and passed KYC, you can use the service to buy Dogecoin with a credit card.
Step 2: Set up a wallet
If you are buying Dogecoin through an exchange, it will come with a wallet built into the platform. Any Dogecoin you buy with a credit card will be deposited into the integrated wallet. If this is the case, then continue to step 3.
Some services request a wallet address where it can deposit your Dogecoin. In this case, you will first need to set up a wallet to obtain a Dogecoin address before buying DOGE. Setting up a wallet is as easy as downloading a Dogecoin wallet and following the steps to secure it. Once the wallet has been initialised, you can get a Dogecoin address and paste it into the service that is requesting the address.
Step 3: Purchase with a credit card
The final step is to purchase DOGE with a credit card. This requires you to input the full credit card number, the expiry date and the CVV code. Depending on the service provider, you may need to provide the billing details along with the name on the card. Once you have entered the details of your credit card, you can input the amount of Dogecoin you would like to purchase. You can typically specify an amount of Dogecoin to buy or an amount of [currency] to spend.
Pros and cons of buying Dogecoin with a credit card
- Buying DOGE with a credit card is instantaneous and purchases are deposited into your exchange account or wallet address within 60 minutes.
- Cash on hand is not required to buy Dogecoin with a credit card.
- Credit card providers usually charge a cash advance fee when purchasing Dogecoin.
- The exchange or service that you are using to buy Dogecoin often applies a surcharge of between 1.5% and 5%.
- Dogecoin purchases via credit card can attract unwanted attention from the associated bank or provider.
How to choose the right platform
Want to buy Dogecoin with your credit card or debit card but don't know which broker or exchange to use? Remember to take the following factors into account when comparing the available options:
- Safety and security. You want to be sure you're dealing with a trusted and secure provider. For more info, check out the "Is it safe to buy crypto with a credit card?" section.
- Cost. The convenience of buying crypto with a credit/debit card comes at a price, so take some time to compare the fees charged by different platforms before picking one.
- Supported currencies. Which cryptocurrencies does the platform allow you to buy using your credit card? Bitcoin and Ethereum are the 2 digital currencies that are most widely available, but some platforms will also allow you to buy a number of other coins.
- Supported cards. Does the platform accept all major credit cards or even debit cards?
- Transaction limits. What are the minimum and maximum amounts you can spend in any single transaction?
- Processing times. How long will it take for the crypto you've purchased to arrive in your wallet or a deposit to arrive on the platform?
- Sell-side services. Does the exchange also allow you to sell your cryptocurrency, or is it a buy-only service? If you can sell your crypto, it's worth checking what fiat withdrawal methods are supported and whether any fees apply.
- Customer support. Find out when the provider's customer support team is available and how you can get in contact with them. Check into their reputation as well.
How much does it cost to buy Dogecoin with a credit card?
While buying Dogecoin with a credit or debit card is generally quick and easy, it can also be quite expensive. This is because there are several fees that can contribute to the cost of your transaction, not only from the crypto broker but also from your card issuer. These charges can include the following:
- Cash advance fee. Many card issuers treat a cryptocurrency purchase as a cash advance. This means your purchase will usually incur a cash advance fee and will also attract higher interest rates than normal purchases.
- Exchange/broker fee. The platform you use to buy Dogecoin or another cryptocurrency will impose its own transaction fee. These tend to range from 4-6% but are higher in some cases.
- Credit card surcharge. You may also be asked to pay a credit card surcharge on top of any other fees and commissions being charged.
- Currency exchange fee. If you're using a US credit card on an overseas exchange, you might be paying credit card currency conversion rates. A 0% foreign fee credit card might be useful for cutting costs.
Is it safe to buy Dogecoin with a credit card?
- Check it's secure. Make sure the platform's web address starts with https://, which means that all communications between your browser and the website are encrypted.
- Check what security features it offers. What other features does the platform offer to protect your funds? For example, does it support 2-factor authentication? Are client funds stored offline?
- Check where the exchange is based. Finding out where an exchange platform is based can give you a better idea of how it is regulated and whether there are any measures in place to protect you against fraud.
- For example, Australian and Canadian digital currency exchanges must be registered and enrolled with AUSTRAC and FINTRAC, respectively.
- Read reviews. Check out independent user reviews and browse online forums to find out what sort of experiences other users have had with the platform. Did it deliver the service promised? Would they recommend it to friends and family?
- Check the exchange rate. Take a look at how the exchange rate you're getting compares to the current DOGE/CAD market rate. This will help you calculate just how much your transaction will cost.
- Check your interest rate. Most card issuers will classify a crypto purchase as a cash advance, which means higher-than-normal interest rates apply. Be aware of how interest accrues with your card.
- Know the risks of buying crypto. You've probably heard and read plenty about the volatility of Dogecoin and other cryptocurrencies, but don't assume that the coins you'll buy will increase in value enough to cover your purchase costs.
Frequently asked questions
Can I buy DOGE with a credit card?
Yes, you can buy DOGE with a credit card.
How do I buy DOGE instantly?
DOGE can be bought instantly using a credit card. This incurs more fees than funding an account and buying DOGE on the spot market.
Disclaimer: Cryptocurrencies are speculative, complex and involve significant risks – they are highly
volatile and sensitive to secondary activity. Performance is unpredictable and past performance is no guarantee of
future performance. Consider your own circumstances, and obtain your own advice, before relying on this information.
You should also verify the nature of any product or service (including its legal status and relevant regulatory
requirements) and consult the relevant Regulators' websites before making any decision. Finder, or the author, may
have holdings in the cryptocurrencies discussed.